Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Following the release of iOS 8.0.1 on Wednesday, many users began experiencing issues with the maintenance and software update, finding that their handset could no longer establish a cellular connection or recognize their fingerprint upon installing, prompting Apple to pull the update

Update: Apple appears to have pulled the update from its servers.

Users who have not yet installed iOS 8.0.1 are advised to hold off, as the problems presented by the update appear to affect a large number of users.

Initial reports suggest that the over-the-air update install causes issues for the newest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Carrier connectivity issues are occurring across the board, affecting AppleInsider readers who use Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.

After updating their system to iOS 8.0.1, users have also found that the Touch ID fingerprint unlock for their handset no longer works. Attempts to add a new fingerprint to the system return the error message shown above.

In the meantime, those who have already updated can still unlock their iPhone with their secure passcode, and connect to data over Wi-Fi.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 343
    So, how does one downgrade?
  • Reply 2 of 343

Heh...was hoping to upgrade to 8 once 8.0.1 came out.  Looks like I'll be waiting 8.0.2.

• Reply 3 of 343
    I just updated and my iPhone 5S works fine. I had a carrier update earlier for AT&T to 17.1 when i got iOS 8. Maybe people didn't get that?
  • Reply 4 of 343
    Yep, broken touch ID and EE connection in UK - pretty shoddy Apple!
  • Reply 5 of 343
    R U kidding me...I downloaded and loaded the update and found those issues...went to the insider app (how I found out the update was out) and seen this post to not download it. Grrrr WTF!
  • Reply 6 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    WTF Apple?!? Get your shit together.
  • Reply 7 of 343

No Cell usage, hit me with the upgrade - doing a restore at this moment. we will see

• Reply 8 of 343
    Updated to IOS8.0.1 immediately when it came out and have not experienced any issues what so ever? Is this story validated?
  • Reply 9 of 343
    weirdly one doesn't get the 'try again' message, it just shows the '> slide to unlock'.
  • Reply 10 of 343

Jesus jet skiing Christ, whats going on with Apple as of late. 

• Reply 11 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Following the release of iOS 8.0.1 on Wednesday, many users began experiencing issues with the maintenance and software update, finding that their handset could no longer establish a cellular connection or recognize their fingerprint upon installing.

Users who have not yet installed iOS 8.0.1 are advised to hold off, as the problems presented by the update appear to affect a large number of users.

Initial reports suggest that the update causes issues for a variety of different iPhone models, including the newest iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus. Carrier connectivity issues are occurring across the board, affecting AppleInsider readers on Verizon, AT&T, T-Mobile and Sprint.

After updating their system to iOS 8.0.1, users have also found that the Touch ID fingerprint unlock for their handset no longer works. Attempts to add a new fingerprint to the system return the error message shown above.

In the meantime, users can still unlock their iPhone with their secure passcode, and connect to data over Wi-Fi.

What a joke; a fix that breaks.

• Reply 12 of 343
    Apple is not focusing anymore. Apple what is wrong with you??
  • Reply 13 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by punkndrublic View Post

Jesus jet skiing Christ, whats going on with Apple as of late. 

It's called Tim Cook.

• Reply 14 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolbolize View Post

Apple is not focusing anymore. Apple what is wrong with you??

Dr "Dre" will take care of it, worry not.

• Reply 15 of 343
    ha! someone should get fired over that one. feeling dumb for updating.
  • Reply 16 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by johnnybleiss View Post

Updated to IOS8.0.1 immediately when it came out and have not experienced any issues what so ever? Is this story validated?

It's an iPhone 6/+ issue.

Currently without cellular service and TouchID acts as if it didn't exist.

• Reply 17 of 343
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 1,999member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

It's called Tim Cook.

Right...

• Reply 17 of 343

A few of the long time posters here have said they are having problems, so I have no reason to doubt them.

How many here installed on iPhone 5/5s/5c and have had no issues?
  • Reply 19 of 343

Have not myself had any issues and have not heard of any friends or colleagues who experience issues. Sounds like media spin...

• Reply 20 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

Right...

Why is the answer to always blame Tim Cook. The CEO does not do code pushes. LMAO! Do people even think before they say this stuff?