Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 101 of 343
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

If people had followed the recommended best practices, you would have a nice backup restore file on your computer, but everybody is too lazy to do it the safe way, wired through iTunes. First law of computing - always have a recent back up.

• Reply 102 of 343

They just reported it on Bloomberg, which implies that other business networks are reporting it also. There will be a lot of Apple bashing I am sure from this.  Apple knows they are set to a higher standard, and they should have really tested this release more extensively.

Not going to be a good day for programmers at Apple, I suspect very long hours.  I guess they could back out the changes to quickly get those back up

• Reply 103 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

If people had followed the recommended best practices, you would have a nice backup restore file on your computer, but everybody is too lazy to do it the safe way, wired through iTunes. First law of computing - always have a recent back up.

I back up every time I'm on wifi practically. I hate long backups. I will restore in a few from itunes with the instructions others have already provided.

• Reply 104 of 343

Thanks a ton for posting those links.  I found iOS 8 to be pretty smooth compared to the iOS 7 launch. Now this has put a different spin on it.  I hope this works. 

• Reply 105 of 343
    adonissmu wrote: »
    Why is the answer to always blame Tim Cook. The CEO does not do code pushes. LMAO! Do people even think before they say this stuff?
    Apparently not.
  • Reply 106 of 343

yes - validated it is.  I love my new ibrick 6

• Reply 107 of 343

Lots of take-out being ordered in Cupertino tonight.

• Reply 108 of 343

Yup, broke my iPhone 6. This is TERRIBLE and they better get this fixed asap. My business will suffer. The last time I ever upgrade iOS software for a long time.

• Reply 109 of 343
    Well %$!, I'm as big an Apple supporter as any but this is plain sloppy.
  • Reply 109 of 343
    dbled
  • Reply 111 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by heroinsmoker View Post

Yup, broke my iPhone 6. This is TERRIBLE and they better get this fixed asap. My business will suffer. The last time I ever upgrade iOS software for a long time.

Really? Pull it together. Don't go nuts. Stuff happens. However, Apple needs to do a better job of QA. 

• Reply 112 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    They just reported it on Bloomberg, which implies that other business networks are reporting it also. There will be a lot of Apple bashing I am sure from this.  Apple knows they are set to a higher standard, and they should have really tested this release more extensively.

Not going to be a good day for programmers at Apple, I suspect very long hours.  I guess they could back out the changes to quickly get those back up
    It was also reported on CNBC. Apparently some of the anchors and floor traders updated their phone and lost their cell service on air. This is about as bad as it gets PR wise.
  • Reply 113 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maestro64 View Post

Again it is good to have patients, 

Only if you're a doctor.

• Reply 114 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

No.  Its time for you to buy an Android POS and leave.

When Steve Jobs resigned as CEO in Aug 2011 the stock was $50

Now its $102 under Tim Cook.

STFU

I own $40k+ in Apple stock and Cook is doing an awesome job.

Stock prices were also at their highest during the early 90s with Sculley - but probably you weren't even born when I was already using Apple products...so chill out, kid. This is an inflection point for Apple and we all know it; a follower attitude that was never seen with SJ.

• Reply 115 of 343

The histrionics over this is amazing.  Yes, Apple f___ed up.  They've screwed up before, and they'll screw up again.

I've owned Apple products for 29 years, and they've never been perfect.  Every Apple product that I've ever owned has been flawed in some way.  Why do I continue to buy Apple products?  Because they're less flawed than anything else out there.  I can actually get stuff done, almost all the time, with Apple products.  I already did the Android thing for several years.  Never again.

If anyone is looking to buy a perfect computing device from a perfect company, save your money.  No such product exists.  No such company exists.  You're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

All that said, I do feel for those who currently have a useless iPhone.  At least be assured that Apple should own up to this, and fix the problem as quickly as they can.

• Reply 116 of 343

Everything being equal, you're probably "downloading it wrong" though.  Hehe?

Ok.

• Reply 117 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

By the way, it's easy to tell the legitimate posters in this thread from the couple of easy to spot trolls, who gleefully pile on whenever there is something negative about Apple.

Those Fandroid imposters can kiss my ass. 

I have never bought anything remotely related to Android or Windows, and have converted more than 25 people to Apple over the last five years...so hopefully you are not talking about me.

• Reply 118 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Really? Pull it together. Don't go nuts. Stuff happens. However, Apple needs to do a better job of QA. 

Easy for you to say. Obviously you don't have a iPhone 6 that got hammered.

• Reply 119 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

6 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

It's option click.  8.01 is no longer being signed by Apple. 

http://www.imore.com/ios-801-kill-touch-id-and-cell-service-your-iphone-6-or-iphone-6-plus-heres-how-to-fix

• Reply 120 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by iVince View Post

Everything being equal, you're probably "downloading it wrong" though.  Hehe?

Ok.

I must admit, that's funny.