Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 201 of 343

Guys lets keep a cool head here. Yes Apple messed up but no need to lose it. Apple will fix this in a timely manner. Apple does need to make sure to cross their ts and dot their eyes. Full QA all the time. These are phones. This isn't some android experiment.

• Reply 202 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Thats why you should NEVER update your device away from you backup computer.

USE YOUR BRAIN PEOPLE!

If your phone is so mission critical take the proper steps.  Not having cell reception for a few hours is not the end of the world.

What's your thought on app updates? As I posted above (187) while I avoid OS updates I do let the apps update in the background...

• Reply 203 of 343

The Verge has posted a workaround/dowgrade instructional.

http://www.theverge.com/2014/9/24/6839347/fix-for-bad-ios-8-0-1-update

• Reply 203 of 343
    jfc1138 wrote: »

The trouble with that is for people at work their personal iTunes account is more than likely back at home: meaning a workday without their private phone. Not end of the world but understandably annoying. I know I'd hate to have to navigate my rush hour traffic without my iPhone's map showing me the traffic jams. I pick the wrong route to commit to and and I can add an hour to that trip in a blink.
    Quite true, and I'm not trying to defend Apple here... Most people here know I love Apple, but for this, I definitely give them an F score, and whoever did the QC/QA testing on this update needs to be fired, and they definitely need to step things up in the testing department.

Just recently we had the 2011 MBA EFI fiasco, now this? Not good...
  • Reply 205 of 343
    brlawyer wrote: »

It's time for a new CEO - Mr Cook is an unmitigated disaster for Apple; just wait and see:

1 - Uncalled for distribution of dividends: Apple no longer a growth stock;
    2 - Acquisition of Beats - cheapened brand, crappy headphones, ridiculous price for just another streaming service;
    3 - Lack of proper torsion testing on the new iPhones, aka "bendgate";
    4 - Bigger iPhones with protruding cameras and "smart" watches just because analysts tell Apple to launch them - we no longer innovate, we just follow:
    5 - sloppy software releases just like 8.0.1, shutdown of high-end software suites; long delays in launching innovative Macs.
    You seriously need to STFU.
  • Reply 206 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Hmm. Could you please point to the spot on this chart where the stock price is highest? Could you please point to the spot where Sculley was in charge?

Notice the huge gap in dividends.

And who the heck was talking about absolute comparisons? Of course stock prices are higher now. My point was that Sculley's early-to-mid years were among Apple's most prosperous compared to the rest of the company's years (before he joined), yet they led to the same kind of non-innovation and crisis period we're moving towards now.

Check this to understand what I mean:

http://www.mercurynews.com/business/ci_26432985/from-archive-1992-sculley-steering-apple-into-21st

"yet they led to the same kind of non-innovation and crisis period we're moving towards now."

Pure Bullshit. A Lawyer should know a strawman argument when he sees (uses) one.

• Reply 207 of 343
    Quote:

It's called Tim Cook.

I'm sure Tim Cook is not a programmer, to tester, nor does he run the QA etc. But, there is going to be more than one employee in more than a little hot water here. Now, Apple has to supply a fix for iOS 6,7,8.0 users, but also iOS 8.0.1 users. 

I think eventually, and the sooner the better Apple needs to allow reinstall older iOS releases. 

• Reply 208 of 343
    Bunch of incompetent aholes. Completely unacceptable, what kind of moron uploaded this. Hope he and his whole team is fired this is truly incredible. A billion dollar company and they turn around do this, yeah your press release was BS too, "we're working on it" is not an acceptable answer apple.

Having no service screws over everyones day. Oh, so now i gotta go home and DOWNGRADE AND DELETE EVERYTHING, GREAT!!!
  • Reply 209 of 343
    Bunch of incompetent aholes. Completely unacceptable, what kind of moron uploaded this. Hope he and his whole team is fired this is truly incredible. A billion dollar company and they turn around do this, yeah your press release was BS too, "we're working on it" is not an acceptable answer apple.

Having no service screws over everyones day. Oh, so now i gotta go home and DOWNGRADE AND DELETE EVERYTHING, GREAT!!!
  • Reply 210 of 343
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quite true, and I'm not trying to defend Apple here... Most people here know I love Apple, but for this, I definitely give them an F score, and whoever did the QC/QA testing on this update needs to be fired, and they definitely need to step things up in the testing department.

Just recently we had the 2011 MBA EFI fiasco, now this? Not good...

I understood that, I was more speculating about why some people would be umbraged. Unlike my usual mockery for the eternally outraged in this instance I could see some basis. Once a convenience is provided people will come to assume it's reliability. As unwise as that may be.

• Reply 211 of 343
    No vacations for Apple!
  • Reply 212 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

6 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

Won't work. It keeps saying iOS 8.0.1 is the current update. Then if I try to do a restore it says some of my apps and media I will have to repurchase if I want to have them back.

• Reply 213 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Btw Apple stock is down almost 1% while the market overall is up and most of its competitors are up 1% or more.
  • Reply 214 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Won't work. It keeps saying iOS 8.0.1 is the current update. Then if I try to do a restore it says some of my apps and media I will have to repurchase if I want to have them back.

You're holding down the option key (on windows) or Command key (on Mac) while clicking the button?  It should present you with a file selection dialog.

• Reply 215 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

You're holding down the option key (on windows) or Command key (on Mac) while clicking the button?  It should present you with a file selection dialog.

I'm holding down the command key and clicking. It's the option/alt key not the command key.

But now there is another issue. I can't even update it to the iOS 8.0.1 that worked because they shut everything off. You don't have to shut off the iTunes update because the OTA Update didn't work.... or is their system tied up in such a way that there is a dependency there.  

That really is an #APPLEFAIL. I'm happy to be a beta tester when I sign up for it. However, this wasn't the case. They should've given developers time to test it first and then released it to the public.  

• Reply 216 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

It's time for a new CEO - Mr Cook is an unmitigated disaster for Apple; just wait and see:

1 - Uncalled for distribution of dividends: Apple no longer a growth stock;

2 - Acquisition of Beats - cheapened brand, crappy headphones, ridiculous price for just another streaming service;

3 - Lack of proper torsion testing on the new iPhones, aka "bendgate";

4 - Bigger iPhones with protruding cameras and "smart" watches just because analysts tell Apple to launch them - we no longer innovate, we just follow:

5 - sloppy software releases just like 8.0.1, shutdown of high-end software suites; long delays in launching innovative Macs.

You seriously need to STFU.

I certainly don't agree with his ridiculously hyperbolic first sentence. But his 5 points are, at least, legitimate 'arguments' (opinions).

• Reply 217 of 343
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    asdasd wrote: »
    How would it be to stage upgrades to one city or to apple employees. For a few days. World wide.

First time I've ever agreed with you that I can remember.

With the increasing scale, complexity, "journalistic" scrutiny, and whiney entitlement, it might be wise for Apple to test in the wild in stages, if that were even possible.
  • Reply 218 of 343
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    rogifan wrote: »
    It appears to be affecting 6 and 6 Plus uses who did OTA update. This is a serious **** up on Apple's part and someone needs to be fired.

Better solution is that they should hire you. That would have added benefits for us here at AI.

By the way, in the middle of a crisis is not the time to fire your experts.
  • Reply 219 of 343

I wouldn't be surprised if Samsung was somehow involved with this.   "We'll give you $10M if you sabotage......".

Sure, it's unlikely, but this isn't beneath them given the unscrupulous things that they have done in the past(starting with their chairman's tax evasion conviction).

• Reply 220 of 343
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    brlawyer wrote: »

It's called Tim Cook.

Can't wait to hear slurpy explain this one away.
    So glad I have a non bendable 5S running 8.0 flawlessly.