Samsung openly admits 'positive reaction' to iPhone 6 Plus prompted early launch of Galaxy Note 4

Comments

• Reply 81 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Of course it's about sales, I felt no need to state the obvious, but I can't argue with them not offering a 4" version. I will say this though, the iPhone 6 felt better in my hand than the iPhone 5/5s ever did.

You do realize that I am talking about the 5.5" iP 6... right.

... and how can you assume that a 4" iP 6 wouldn't sell as well as a 5.5" iP6.

After all... it was you who said it was about choice (but it looks like you changed your mind)

• Reply 82 of 158
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

I should give you that, Samsung; there are no other companies as amusing as you in the world. Truly amusing to see how you act so stupidly when you are desperate enough! :)

• Reply 83 of 158
    I'm kind of surprised it doesn't have a sapphire screen.

They must have seen through the ruse...
  • Reply 84 of 158
    You do realize that I am talking about the 5.5" iP 6... right.

... and how can you assume that a 4" iP 6 wouldn't sell as well as a 5.5" iP6.

After all... it was you who said it was about choice (but it looks like you changed your mind)

I didn't change my mind, but as a consumer choice is something I regard highly. One thing I've learned long ago is that one size never fits all.
  • Reply 85 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

What about a 3.5 inch phone?

How do we know that won't sell better?

Bottom line is Apple spends MILLIONS each year researching what the market wants.

Do you seriously think they choose the 4.7/5.5 lineup without deep thought?  Seriously?

Yes, seriously.

You never know... in the end, a 3.5" iP 6 might sell better than the 5.5".

I guess it was that same deep thought that left a couple of million 5Cs in the channel last year.

• Reply 86 of 158
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member

the $100 price chop to the G4 launch price from last year's G3 launch price is the real news here. of course the G3 was soon heavily discounted too, but for SS to admit it can't compete with iPhone at same "premium" price levels from day 1 is a brutal adminisstion of defeat. and a brutal profit margin killer too that will hit them hard as they sink further into the 'race to the (Android) bottom.'

meanwhile, Apple has cleverly enticed most iPhone buyers to 'buy up' to a 64G iPhone 6 or Plus, each $100/$200 above last year's 16G 5S starter price that was most popular. that is a big profit margin bump that will definitely show up in the coming year.

• Reply 87 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

I didn't change my mind, but as a consumer choice is something I regard highly. One thing I've learned long ago is that one size never fits all.

... and exactly why I think a 4" with NFC might have sold very well.

• Reply 88 of 158
    ninuola wrote: »

Apple, under Tim, is taking a different approach. He's not trying to deterring what is best for customers, but looking at the competitors, listening to the customers, and delivering what he believes the customers want.

That is your take, unless Tim has personally told you that. Did the customers know that they wanted a touch screen iPhone in 2007? Did customers ask for a 64-bit chip in the 5S? Did customers ask Apple for a potentially very expensive watch in 18-carat gold?

As Henry Ford said a long time back "If I'd asked customers what they wanted they would have said faster horses".
  • Reply 89 of 158
    Pretty sure the positive reaction was because it is a reliable Apple product as much as it was for the larger screen.
  • Reply 90 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

That is your take, unless Tim has personally told you that. Did the customers know that they wanted a touch screen iPhone in 2007? Did customers ask for a 64-bit chip in the 5S? Did customers ask Apple for a potentially very expensive watch in 18-carat gold?

As Henry Ford said a long time back "If I'd asked customers what they wanted they would have said faster horses".

Yes you are quite right, the customers can't fully know what they want. Things like 64bit chips, gold colour like you mentioned are things customers would care less about.

However, there are a couple of things that the customers would know they want, like longer battery life.

BTW we were talking about the post-Jobs era so the original iPhone doesn't really count.

• Reply 91 of 158
    With Apple shooting themselves in the foot with bendgate and iOS 8 bugs Samsung has a chance to capitalize on the mistakes. Jobs would not let this happen on his watch!
  • Reply 92 of 158
    I don't quite buy that.

The 4.7... sure.

The 5.5... I heard more people saying that was too big than I heard anyone saying it's a great size.

Samsung showed that it was a viable size.

Personally, I think the 5.5 was a stupid idea.

"It's the OS!"

And your market research apparently is better than Apple's right? Apparently they know a little more than the rest of us since the 6 Plus is sold out everywhere.

FYI.. I'm typing this message on a 6 Plus. I'm an iOS developer so I bought a 6 and 6 Plus. I thought the Plus would be too big as well but I can't bring myself to even use the 6. I love the size and weight of the 6 but I'm addicted to the extra screen size and iPad lite functionality of the Plus.
  • Reply 93 of 158
    Why are people calling it bendgate and not bendghazi?
  • Reply 94 of 158
    ninuola wrote: »

Yes you are quite right, the customers can't fully know what they want. Things like 64bit chips, gold colour like you mentioned are things customers would care less about.

However, there are a couple of things that the customers would know they want, like longer battery life.

BTW we were talking about the post-Jobs era so the original iPhone doesn't really count.

Customers don't care about 64-bit chips? ... Well, that's news.

Longer battery life. Smaller. Cheaper. Faster. Better screen. - you don't need a crystal ball to know that nobody would say no to any of those! The hard part is thinking about what is or could be possible then aiming for that. That is where Apple excels.

The original iPhone is relevant. I was meaning that people often can't imagine the detail of a product because it's outside their experience or expectation. We can all imagine a teleporter or a flying car, but I'm talking about something you can walk into a shop and buy.
  • Reply 95 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryant NorCal View Post

With Apple shooting themselves in the foot with bendgate and iOS 8 bugs Samsung has a chance to capitalize on the mistakes. Jobs would not let this happen on his watch!

I think Bendgate is nothing. Software bugs are not really big issues Samsung should capitalise on... They'll get fixed in no time

• Reply 96 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

And your market research apparently is better than Apple's right? Apparently they know a little more than the rest of us since the 6 Plus is sold out everywhere.

FYI.. I'm typing this message on a 6 Plus. I'm an iOS developer so I bought a 6 and 6 Plus. I thought the Plus would be too big as well but I can't bring myself to even use the 6. I love the size and weight of the 6 but I'm addicted to the extra screen size and iPad lite functionality of the Plus.

Well, it was better last year when I said the 5C was not selling as many units as Apple had expected.

So, maybe.

Sold out? I guess your market research is right up there with the best.

By the way... since you know so much... tell me... how many 6+ sold over the past few days?... How many were made?

• Reply 97 of 158
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why are people calling it bendgate and not bendghazi?

Why associate a fake problem with a real one?

• Reply 98 of 158
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

On a positive note they seem to have gotten past the regulatory hurdles in China that Apple has yet to get past.

• Reply 99 of 158
    Well, it was better last year when I said the 5C was not selling as many units as Apple had expected.

So, maybe.

Sold out? I guess your market research is right up there with the best.

By the way... since you know so much... tell me... how many 6+ sold over the past few days?... How many were made?

I'll answer those right after you tell me the numbers from your highly accurate market research of people that don't want a large phone.
  • Reply 100 of 158
    Why associate a fake problem with a real one?

Huh?