Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 221 of 343
    People should learn that don't ever trust on earlier releases of Apple, here all the fixes and problems with iOS 8.0.1 Update
    http://uneedtech.com/2014/09/24/ios-8-0-1-update-fixing-healthkit-and-disabling-cellular-and-touchid/
  • Reply 222 of 343
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    sog35 wrote: »
    So people expect their devices to work 100% time?

Really?

Nothing works 100% of the time.

Get a backup phone if you MUST HAVE 100%. 
    If you can't risk a few hours of downtime you should have a backup plan or an extra phone.

That's why I'm keeping my 5S with my 6+

Its surprises me that so many people updated their phones without a full backup.  That's standard procedure IMO.

Well, no, you're right. Nothing works 100% of the time. But then again you don't expect your vendor to release an update that kills the absolute core functionality of the device either.

That's something different entirely.

This is uncharacteristic of Apple. Their execution is normally - no, almost invariably- fantastic.

Reputation takes a lifetime to build and it can be taken away in an instant.
  • Reply 223 of 343
    bobschlob wrote: »
    I certainly don't agree with his ridiculously hyperbolic first sentence. But his 5 points are, at least, legitimate 'arguments' (opinions).
    Absolutely, his first statement was complete hyperbole and highly inflammatory, but my comment also holds for his "points", as his points about "bendgate", which I believe is a completely media fabricated event due to there being no actual "gate" issue with this launch, the mention of the dividends, the Beats acquisition, referencing the new iPhone's and ?WATCH, they are all media BS that he's just trying to use as gas for the flame when in fact it's water. The only issue here is with the 8.0.1 update, which I would say is the first true "gate" issue with this device.
  • Reply 224 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Flaneur View Post

Better solution is that they should hire you. That would have added benefits for us here at AI.

By the way, in the middle of a crisis is not the time to fire your experts.

Hello... I don't want anyone fired. I just want the issue fixed. 

• Reply 225 of 343
    I'm having the same issues. Every time I lock my screen it automatically disconnects my wi fi and then can't find it. I have to shut the phone off and restart.
  • Reply 226 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    flaneur wrote: »
    Better solution is that they should hire you. That would have added benefits for us here at AI.

By the way, in the middle of a crisis is not the time to fire your experts.
    Who wants an "expert" that pushes out a software update that removes your cell service?
  • Reply 227 of 343
    coffeetime wrote: »
    Can't update our iPad Air - downloaded it to the device (vs. via iTunes), and when it tried to verify, it said that it was not connected to the Internet (which it is - I quickly tried a website, which connected). After several attempts, I just quit. C'mon, Apple!

That may not have been an issue at all. The server may have kicked back any error that would bar updating to save your butt in case that software would also cause issues with the iPad.
  • Reply 228 of 343

Jony Ivy put out another statement. Not only does your iPhone bend so it can get closer to you, it now turned off cellular data so you can have more one on one time together. 

• Reply 229 of 343
    sog35 wrote: »
    Rule #1 - Apple does not follow the market

The market was down 1% yesterday and Apple was up 1.5%

down less than 1% is a drop in the bucket. 

If this was really a big deal (update and BEND gate) this would be down 5%

True. I think bendgate is nonsense but this isn't. And yes Cook better have been reading someone the riot act today. Apple is better than this. Maybe they're just moving too fast and need to slow down a bit.
  • Reply 230 of 343
    Yes this is real. Just got off the phone with AT&T. Two options: 1. Go to the Apple Store. 2.Back up the phone via iTunes and Restore from there. The rep on the phone wasn't sure if option 2 would work or not.
  • Reply 231 of 343
    Didn't even know there was an update. Will wait then.
  • Reply 232 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

True. I think bendgate is nonsense but this isn't. And yes Cook better have been reading someone the riot act today. Apple is better than this. Maybe they're just moving too fast and need to slow down a bit.

Kim Vorrath

• Reply 233 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I certainly don't agree with his ridiculously hyperbolic first sentence. But his 5 points are, at least, legitimate 'arguments' (opinions).

Absolutely, his first statement was complete hyperbole and highly inflammatory, but my comment also holds for his "points", as his points about "bendgate", which I believe is a completely media fabricated event due to there being no actual "gate" issue with this launch, the mention of the dividends, the Beats acquisition, referencing the new iPhone's and ?WATCH, they are all media BS that he's just trying to use as gas for the flame when in fact it's water. The only issue here is with the 8.0.1 update, which I would say is the first true "gate" issue with this device.

Well, the media makes BS out of 'Anything'.

As I said, he has his opinions; you have yours.

Before the iPhone 6 came out, I said many times, here and in other places, that it was a mistake to 'lose' the right-angle / square edge case design. If Apple had kept that, not only would they have maintained a good degree of functionality that they lost with the round edge, we also wouldn't be talking about "bendgate" at all. Period.

• Reply 234 of 343
    atlapple wrote: »
    Kim Vorrath

What about her?
  • Reply 235 of 343

So, after reading all of the comments in this thread, and some of them are downright disgusting or moronic, I am going to guess that no one here has ever made a mistake.  Not sure I could say that myself, in fact I have made mistakes that took down the entire e-mail system where I was working.  You admit the mistake and work to resolve it as quickly as possible.  I am sure Apple is doing that right now.  What I would love to know is how many where really effected by this.  I am really quick to update my devices when iOS updates are released.  I did not even know about the update until it had already been pulled by Apple.

Now, I know, Apple can do no right by some people in this forums.  Melvin's coverage of a non-issue with the so called bend-gate is a prime example of that.  But, at least give them the chance to fix this.  I don't know what caused this issue and neither does anyone else in this forum.  Software is extremely complex and while something like this should have been caught, for some reason it wasn't.  Something changed at the last minute...  Who knows what happened and what caused this.  I am confident that this will be resolved quickly.

• Reply 236 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Btw, I have a galaxy S5 and it bent when I tried to bend it with my hands.   So, this is BS that this just affects the new iPhone.

• Reply 237 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

This worked. I have cell service now. But hold down option command then select the restore.ipsw for your phone. Hope this helps some one else.

• Reply 238 of 343
    bobschlob wrote: »
    Well, the media makes BS out of 'Anything'.
    As I said, he has his opinions; you have yours.

Before the iPhone 6 came out, I said many times, here and in other places, that it was a mistake to 'lose' the right-angle / square edge case design. If Apple had kept that, not only would they have maintained a good degree of functionality that they lost with the round edge, we also wouldn't be talking about "bendgate" at all. Period.
    Please stop bringing up BENDGATE because it doesn't exist! Why do I say this? BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE IPHONE 5! This is a fabricated "gate" in the absence of a real "gate" issue with this launch, period. The 5, 5S, and now 6/6+ bend due to user stupidity and brute force, whoopee-do.

You're not an engineer, and thus have no way of knowing how much structural rigidity was lost by moving from the rectangular "candy bar" design to the rounded edges, which BTW, having an iPhone 6 on the bench right now for setup, I can tell you was a wise and ergonomic move for a phone this size.

Your comment is just spreading the same media FUD.
  • Reply 239 of 343
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

How many of you would update to a new full version of Windows without making a backup?

Me. I clean reinstall Windows for every update.

• Reply 240 of 343
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm holding down the command key and clicking. It's the option/alt key not the command key.

It is "Option" key on Mac. But if do not already have an .IPSW file that you purposely saved, which I doubt you would, since it is a brand new phone, that method is not going to work for you. Accord to an earlier post in this thread supposedly you have enter DFU mode which is a bit trickier and once invoked, you have to start the Recovery process. There are instructions online somewhere I'm sure.