Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 241 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

It's called Tim Cook.

Uhh...no.   He's done 99% things right and so he can afford occasional mistakes.   He's still one of the best CEOs.

• Reply 242 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

I'm holding down the command key and clicking. It's the option/alt key not the command key.

But now there is another issue. I can't even update it to the iOS 8.0.1 that worked because they shut everything off. You don't have to shut off the iTunes update because the OTA Update didn't work.... or is their system tied up in such a way that there is a dependency there.  

That really is an #APPLEFAIL. I'm happy to be a beta tester when I sign up for it. However, this wasn't the case. They should've given developers time to test it first and then released it to the public.  

You need to revert back to iOS 8. It's basically the same process that's been said in here, but download iOS 8 instead and not 8.0.1

• Reply 243 of 343
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Anthony Mutti View Post

The issue can easily be resolved by re-updating the affected phone with the complete image, not an over-the air update. 

You can just re-apply the update using iTunes.

Download the firmware:

6+ http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07519.20140924.FTHpb/iPhone7,1_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

6 http://appldnld.apple.com/iOS8/031-07540.20140924.b41vK/iPhone7,2_8.0.1_12A402_Restore.ipsw

Then connect your phone to iTunes, Command-click the update button (not sure what key on windows) and choose the downloaded file.

Can anyone confirm actually having done the above to maintain 8.0.1 and that it fixed their iPhone 6/6+? (Note: it's OPTION key that needs to be held, not Command).

(Unfortunately, I've already gone back to 8.0 and am restoring from an initial backup, but for the sake of anyone who hasn't yet...)

• Reply 244 of 343
    john12345 wrote: »

Btw, I have a galaxy S5 and it bent when I tried to bend it with my hands.   So, this is BS that this just affects the new iPhone.
    Exactly! Do a quick search on the web for <brand name, model> bent and you'll come up with a plethora of devices having THE EXACT SAME ISSUE from pretty much every brand!
  • Reply 245 of 343
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    rogifan wrote: »
    What about her?

Kim Vorrath runs the iOS program at Apple and plays an integral part in each iOS update.
  • Reply 246 of 343

Heads will roll at Cupertino 

• Reply 247 of 343
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    cpsro wrote: »
    [SIZE=16px]Can anyone confirm actually having done the above to maintain 8.0.1 and that it fixed their iPhone 6/6+? (Note: it's OPTION key that needs to be held, not Command).[/SIZE]

(Unfortunately, I've already gone back to 8.0 and am restoring from an initial backup, but for the sake of anyone who hasn't yet...)

Tried it. Didn't work.

Trying now with 8.0.0.
  • Reply 248 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    gtr wrote: »
    Kim Vorrath runs the iOS program at Apple and plays an integral part in each iOS update.
    Ah. I suspect she's not having a good day today. Neither is Craig Federighi.
  • Reply 249 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Can anyone confirm actually having done the above to maintain 8.0.1 and that it fixed their iPhone 6/6+? (Note: it's OPTION key that needs to be held, not Command).

It won't work since the 8.0.1 update can't be verified by Apple's servers. Only option at this point is reverting back to iOS 8.

• Reply 250 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Well, the media makes BS out of 'Anything'.

As I said, he has his opinions; you have yours.

Before the iPhone 6 came out, I said many times, here and in other places, that it was a mistake to 'lose' the right-angle / square edge case design. If Apple had kept that, not only would they have maintained a good degree of functionality that they lost with the round edge, we also wouldn't be talking about "bendgate" at all. Period.

Please stop bringing up BENDGATE because it doesn't exist! Why do I say this? BECAUSE THIS HAS BEEN HAPPENING SINCE IPHONE 5! This is a fabricated "gate" in the absence of a real "gate" issue with this launch, period. The 5, 5S, and now 6/6+ bend due to user stupidity and brute force, whoopee-do.

You're not an engineer, and thus have no way of knowing how much structural rigidity was lost by moving from the rectangular "candy bar" design to the rounded edges, which BTW, having an iPhone 6 on the bench right now for setup, I can tell you was a wise and ergonomic move for a phone this size.

Your comment is just spreading the same media FUD.

Ah, more hyperbole; great...

I used the term Bendgate as the "media phenomenon", not as anything Apple has or hasn't done / created.

An engineer?? Ha! funny… You're right. I'm not. But I did complete elementary school level geometry. (oh, and I also have a pair of hands) That's all one needs to know which of these two shapes is more rigid.

• Reply 251 of 343
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    flaneur wrote: »
    First time I've ever agreed with you that I can remember.

With the increasing scale, complexity, "journalistic" scrutiny, and whiney entitlement, it might be wise for Apple to test in the wild in stages, if that were even possible.

First time I even noticed a post by you. Hey. Disagree in future feel free to quote and reply.

That's what we are here for.
  • Reply 252 of 343
    ibeamibeam Posts: 322member

I wonder why they couldn't just rebuild 8.0 named as 8.0.2 and send it out so the affected phone would see it as an upgrade. At least that would get everyone back to square one. I'm sure there must be some technical reason preventing it but from my limited knowledge of their collaborative software engineering environment it seems logical to me.

• Reply 253 of 343

This worked for me. But hold down Option and Command then select the IPSW you downloaded.

• Reply 254 of 343
    Apple normally sends these releases to devs for beta testing first.
  • Reply 255 of 343
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    i can hear the late Steve Jobs yelling from his grave, "what does an update supposed to do?... (explanation) so why the f .*.c.k does it not do that...?"

BTW, ARE WE NOT ADULT ENOUGH THAT SWEARING IS ACCEPTABLE?... I had to edit the f*** word so it would not be censored... If you need to censor because of your "sensitive" audience keep the first and last letter!
  • Reply 256 of 343
    I said it before: Apple can and will, from time to time, screw up!!!

It's absurd to expect otherwise...

It is, however, way much better than the other guys, almost like another game altogether!

We can expect a fix very soon!!!
  • Reply 257 of 343

yes it works

• Reply 258 of 343
    haggarhaggar Posts: 1,568member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by jfc1138 View Post

An anchor did that OTA in a broadcast studio filled to the rafters with electronics spewing RF noise left right and sideways?

What a moron.

I would expect that after the file was downloaded, iOS would validate the file before actually installing it.  And notify the user if the file was somehow corrupt.  Unless you mean those electronics and RF noise in a studio could corrupt the installation process itself?

• Reply 259 of 343
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by bigsexy View Post

R U kidding me...I downloaded and loaded the update and found those issues...went to the insider app (how I found out the update was out) and seen this post to not download it. Grrrr WTF!

Hahahahahaha!

That's all I have to say to your post, you orgasmic updater! :P 

• Reply 260 of 343
    I said it before: Apple can and will, from time to time, screw up!!!

It's absurd to expect otherwise...

It is, however, way much better than the other guys, almost like another game altogether!

We can expect a fix very soon!!!
    and I will let them and others know about it. This shouldnt have happend they didnt even send it for beta testing with developers first. Apple owns this screw up.