Follow-up 'Bendgate' video finds iPhone 6 less flexible than iPhone 6 Plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
One day after a YouTube video demonstrated that Apple's iPhone 6 Plus can indeed bend under focused pressure, a second test on Wednesday extends the process to the iPhone 6, as well as the HTC One M8, new Moto X, Nokia Lumia 1020 and Apple's own iPhone 5s.

Source: Unbox Therapy via YouTube

Lewis Hilsenteger from YouTube channel Unbox Therapy is back with another stress test exploring the so-called "Bendgate" kerfuffle kicked up by iPhone 6 Plus owners who found that carrying their smartphone in a front pants pocket can result in bending issues. Hilsenteger conducted an identical test on the iPhone 6 Plus yesterday, showing that the device's thinness and material choice makes it susceptible to flexing.

With his latest video, the YouTuber applies the same barehand lever technique to the 4.7-inch iPhone 6, HTC One M8, Motorola's revamped Moto X and Nokia's Lumia 1020. Compared to the 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus, it appears the iPhone 6 requires much more force to flex, and the final result is only slight bend in the frame. Hilsenteger notes that the kink can be reset by applying pressure in the opposite direction.

The result is unsurprising given the smaller surface area. Also, physics.

As for the HTC One M8, the bend test caused the screen to pop out slightly from the casing, while internal adhesive bonds can be heard crunching as they become unseated.

Coming out practically unscathed from the test was the Moto X, which sports an arched back and comparatively thick body design. Testing Nokia's polycarbonate Lumia saw the display break free in certain spots only to return to its original position once pressure was removed.

Finally, the 4-inch iPhone 5s was found nearly unbendable, which Hilsenteger believes is thanks to the smaller form factor.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 196
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Looks likes he's preparing to rip a nasty one in the first pic.
  • Reply 2 of 196
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Let me introduce you to the concept:

Out friend the lever.
  • Reply 3 of 196

Same design less surface area. 

• Reply 4 of 196
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    I prefer"Bendghazi"
  • Reply 5 of 196

Shock! Short piece of metal harder to bend than longer piece of metal.

Call all the physics journals and tell them to hold the front page.

The other phones he has tried to bend don't have a flat back to them. The compound radius will deflect the bending.

These other phones are also thicker. Not a proper test.

On the flip side, that'll teach you for buying a ridiculous sized phone. Apple should never have made the 5.5" iPhone. It's just making the Android people think they were right that screen size matters on a pocket device.

• Reply 6 of 196
    Why call this bendgate when bendgahzi is right there? :no:

atlapple wrote: »
    Same design less surface area. 

The 6 Plus is also thinner.

edit: I was mistaken.
  • Reply 7 of 196
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    AI hard up for clicks I see. :no:
  • Reply 8 of 196
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

I prefer"Bendghazi"

Me too, but liberals would rather not mention that word, as they have been brushing off the real thing for quite a while now, covering it up and hoping that it goes away.

• Reply 9 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

AI hard up for clicks I see. image

Why? This is a legitimate follow-up.

I strongly believe that Apple compromised on durability with the 6 Plus. Those purchasing that model will just need to factor its durability into their lifestyle. A 6" slab in the pants pocket probably not a brilliant idea, at least not for hours on end.

• Reply 10 of 196
    Interesting he tried to bend most other major smartphones but failed to try to bend a scamsung. Perhaps he was payed by said company to bend an iPhone/not to bend a samsung device as they know what would happen.

Someone bend a samsung device please?
  • Reply 10 of 196
    radarthekatradarthekat Posts: 3,842moderator

I love the scientific method he employs.  

First, get a few really bulky phones that have curved backs and no market share.  Where's the Galaxy Alpha?  Where's the Galaxy S5?  Galaxy Note?  

Next, let's start with the iPhone while he has full energy, then move on to the others after tiring his fingers having worked the iPhone.

And let's push against the iPhone nearer to its edge, but hold the others so he's pushing in the middle at the apex of their curved backs.  

Yeah, great job.  /s

• Reply 12 of 196
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Evilution View Post

Shock! Short piece of metal harder to bend than longer piece of metal.

Call all the physics journals and tell them to hold the front page.

Now let's try a hammer!

• Reply 13 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why call this bendgate when bendgahzi is right there? image

I been joking around a lot but honestly Apple needs to get ahead of this issue. It's fairly clear the size of the casing is an issue, Im glad they tested the 4.7 inch phones. They all held up well. 

• Reply 14 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

Interesting he tried to bend most other major smartphones but failed to try to bend a scamsung. Perhaps he was payed by said company to bend an iPhone/not to bend a samsung device as they know what would happen.

I believe there is another video posted in one of the threads where they did attempt to bend a Note 3. If I remember correctly it didn't bend. The Note 3 is thicker and heavier and made of a thicker plastic. While a cheaper design it will most likely not bend like aluminum.

• Reply 15 of 196

I call BS on his not being able to bend the iPhone 5S. If you do a Google search there are lots of people who have actually bent their 5S's.

• Reply 16 of 196
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Im glad they tested the 4.7 inch phones.

Come off it.

• Reply 17 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Why call this bendgate when bendgahzi is right there? image

no the 6 plus is thicker than the 6

• Reply 18 of 196
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    And thank god I held on to my 5S and let y'all guinea pigs test & deliver me a nice new upgraded 6S for next year. :D
  • Reply 19 of 196
    Interesting that when he tried to bend the iPhone 6 his thumbs were not "together" which lessens the effective length to the fulcrum point, also lessening the torque at the fulcrum. All the other phones he had his thumbs together, and on the Lumia they were actually on top of each other a bit.

try the iPhone again with your thumbs together and lets see what happens.

Not trying to bag on the iPhone 6, in fact I am considering coming back in to the fold with this generation, however I always carry my phone in my front pocket so this type of durability matters a lot to me.
  • Reply 20 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

I believe there is another video posted in one of the threads where they did attempt to bend a Note 3. If I remember correctly it didn't bend. The Note 3 is thicker and heavier and made of a thicker plastic. While a cheaper design it will most likely not bend like aluminum.

I want to see this test with a Note Edge. :)