Follow-up 'Bendgate' video finds iPhone 6 less flexible than iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 196
    atlapple wrote: »
    I been joking around a lot but honestly Apple needs to get ahead of this issue. It's fairly clear the size of the casing is an issue, Im glad they tested the 4.7 inch phones. They all held up well.

I'd definitely like Apple that sort of force into consideration (and expect they will next time) but I don't see this an issue for the average user to even concern themselves with.
  • Reply 22 of 196
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    coolfactor wrote: »

Why? This is a legitimate follow-up.

I strongly believe that Apple compromised on durability with the 6 Plus. Those purchasing that model will just need to factor its durability into their lifestyle. A 6" slab in the pants pocket probably not a brilliant idea, at least not for hours on end.
    No one has yet proven that under normal use the 6 Plus easily bends. This guy is just after clicks.
  • Reply 23 of 196
    I just discovered that if I lay my flat screen TV on the ground and jump on it the screen cracks. I had an ?TV hooked up to it that I can no longer use and I would like to know what Apple is going to do to remedy my stupidity. ..
  • Reply 24 of 196

This guy's a real idiot.

It would be simple to throw together a low tech rudimentary Universal bend / break machine.

Hell, if he can afford to break all those phones, he can afford to rent an actual laboratory grade machine. (maybe he thinks it's cooler for us to watch him making his fart face)

Edit for bad language (sorry)

• Reply 25 of 196
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    While it's obvious that a longer phone using the same design will bend more easily, the question is, how careful should we be with our phones? I've always believed that phones shouldn't be put in a rear pants pocket. It's just looking for trouble.

Another reason why the 5/5S is harder to bend is that the sides are straight, offering much more resistence to bending.

An example is a 2x4. If you try to bend it from the face (wide) sides, it's much easier to bend than from the edge (narrow) sides. In fact, it's about three times as hard to bend. The rounded edges of the new phones are much more comfortable to hold, but present far less resistance to bending.
  • Reply 26 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Same design less surface area. 

It's not surface area. The 6+ has a surface area of 280cm². If I made a sphere with the same surface area, with the same case material and glass proportions, it would only be 9.4cm across, and you could not bend it by pushing and pulling with your thumbs and fingers.

If you quadruple the surface area, of the 6+ by making it thicker at the edges, you could not bend it.

If you cut the surface area in half by making it 1/4 as wide, and 2x as long, you could probably bend it by sneezing on it.

Surface area as a variable has nothing to do with resistance to bending.

The dimension you're looking for is length (assuming same thickness).

• Reply 27 of 196
    bobschlob wrote: »
    This guys a real fucking idiot.
    It would be simple to throw together a low tech rudimentary Universal bend / break machine.
    Hell, if he can afford to break all those phones, he can afford to rent an actual laboratory grade machine. (maybe he thinks it's cooler for us to watch him making his fart face)

Watch the language, please.
  • Reply 28 of 196

Why is the editor allowing this schlock to be posted.  This is a non-issue.  It's not news, and it's at best mis-information.  Here is a shock, you try to bend something with enough force and it will bend and break..  WOW!!  Stop the presses..

Yes, we have a real issue effecting a small to moderate number of people with the 8.0.1 update.  But this?  This should have died already and it's only because of lazy "journalists" with questionable ethical standards that this is even still going on.

BTW, I have the Notes 3 and the Nokia 1520..  The 1520 does have a known issue where the digitizer starts to mess up wildly, most likely due to stresses on the screen from, you guessed it, being placed in a pocket.  Lets see, 6" display, small pocket, undue stress on a display screen.  Hmmm...

DED, please do something about this shocking and appalling lack of journalistic integrity.

• Reply 29 of 196
    I want to see this test with a Note Edge. :)

Someone did it with a SG4 and the screen completely breaks. It'd post a link but my iPad keeps posting something different when I try to paste it in. It can be viewed via iPhone hacks.
  • Reply 30 of 196
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    therealtom wrote: »
    Interesting he tried to bend most other major smartphones but failed to try to bend a scamsung. Perhaps he was payed by said company to bend an iPhone/not to bend a samsung device as they know what would happen.

Someone bend a samsung device please?

Here you go

• Reply 31 of 196
    It's not surface area. The 6+ has a surface area of 140cm². If I made a sphere with the same surface area, with the same case material and glass proportions, it would only be 6.7cm across, and you could not bend it by pushing and pulling with your thumbs and fingers.

If you quadruple the surface area, of the 6+ by making it thicker at the edges, you could not bend it.

If you cut the surface area in half by making it 1/4 as wide, and 2x as long, you could probably bend it by sneezing on it.

Surface area as a variable has nothing to do with resistance to bending.

The dimension you're looking for is length (assuming same thickness).

His comment about "same design" qualifies it to means it's not a perfect sphere.
  • Reply 32 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

Why? This is a legitimate follow-up.

I strongly believe that Apple compromised on durability with the 6 Plus. Those purchasing that model will just need to factor its durability into their lifestyle. A 6" slab in the pants pocket probably not a brilliant idea, at least not for hours on end.

Next time I see an iPhone 6 Plus stuck in a vise being levered with a monkey wrench, I'll remember your words of wisdom. :rolleyes:

• Reply 33 of 196
    This is just goi g to become more of an issue if apple
    rorwessels wrote: »
    Why is the editor allowing this schlock to be posted.  This is a non-issue.  It's not news, and it's at best mis-information.  Here is a shock, you try to bend something with enough force and it will bend and break..  WOW!!  Stop the presses..

Yes, we have a real issue effecting a small to moderate number of people with the 8.0.1 update.  But this?  This should have died already and it's only because of lazy "journalists" with questionable ethical standards that this is even still going on.

BTW, I have the Notes 3 and the Nokia 1520..  The 1520 does have a known issue where the digitizer starts to mess up wildly, most likely due to stresses on the screen from, you guessed it, being placed in a pocket.  Lets see, 6" display, small pocket, undue stress on a display screen.  Hmmm...

DED, please do something about this shocking and appalling lack of journalistic integrity.

This is news, and its being reported all over. It should be covered here as well.

The fact is that as Apple, and others, continue to make phones thinner, this is what we can expect. There are at least a couple of people who post here who seem to believe that the new phones are still way too thick. They won't be happy until they're the same thickness as a credit card. They're nuts!

One good thing about plastic is that after being bent a bit, it springs back.
  • Reply 34 of 196
    This is ridiculously unscientific. How much force is he using? Is it the same for all phones? How would anyone (including he) be able to tell. How about the spacing of his fingers.

MOST IMPORTANTLY, note that he always pushes AGAINST the curved backs of the non-iPhones. Why not push WITH the curve? Which is how it would be in your pocket. The glass side would be against your leg and the curved side facing outward. I bet that would bend easily WITH the curves. Of course going against the curve would give them more support. That is why there are domes on buildings, because pushing against the arch (snow, water, wind) meets the most resistance.

Sheesh, this is silly stuff.
  • Reply 35 of 196
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    He popped off screens with two of those others.

'Course it's not as if a smartphone screen is like important or anything.

Oh.

Wait.
  • Reply 36 of 196
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,100member
    lolliver wrote: »
    I just discovered that if I lay my flat screen TV on the ground and jump on it the screen cracks. I had an ?TV hooked up to it that I can no longer use and I would like to know what Apple is going to do to remedy my stupidity. ..

TVs aren't mobile devices, meant to be carried around with you in your pocket. *facepalm*
  • Reply 37 of 196

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... the so-called "Bendgate" kerfuffle ...

Seems way more like a 'Dumbassgate' kerfuffle to me.

• Reply 38 of 196
    Apple has encountered one of the inevitable tradeoffs in designing things to be ever thinner-- the reality of basic structural mechanics. With the cross section of the 6Plus being as thin as it is and no curved shape to add rigidity (it lies flat), the phone is more susceptible to bending. Nonetheless, there are many positives for iPhone 6 and 6Plus durability. see: http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/977927-iphone-6-vs-galaxy-s5-vs-iphone-5s-durability-test-specs-size-side-by-size-comparison/ I have an iPhone 6Plus and I love the screen and the phone. I know a lot of people carry smartphones in their pockets, I have used a holster since the Nokia days, and appreciate the thin form factor of the 6Plus. Curved backplate phones like the Moto X and HTC don't work real well with a holster.
  • Reply 39 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

While it's obvious that a longer phone using the same design will bend more easily, the question is, how careful should we be with our phones? I've always believed that phones shouldn't be put in a rear pants pocket. It's just looking for trouble.

Another reason why the 5/5S is harder to bend is that the sides are straight, offering much more resistence to bending.

An example is a 2x4. If you try to bend it from the face (wide) sides, it's much easier to bend than from the edge (narrow) sides. In fact, it's about three times as hard to bend. The rounded edges of the new phones are much more comfortable to hold, but present far less resistance to bending.

Seems straightforward, right? My guess is that there are more than a couple mechanical engineers at Apple doing an "I told you so" dance in front of the "design" team.

• Reply 40 of 196

Originally Posted by melgross View Post

One good thing about plastic is that after being bent a bit, it springs back.

But the circuit boards and connectors inside the phone won't necessarily spring back.

Oh, and another good thing about plastic is that it burns really nicely.