Follow-up 'Bendgate' video finds iPhone 6 less flexible than iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 196
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member
    rogifan wrote: »
    No one has yet proven that under normal use the 6 Plus easily bends. This guy is just after clicks.
    rogifan wrote: »
    No one has yet proven that under normal use the 6 Plus easily bends. This guy is just after clicks.

Phones only been out for a week, that's not normal use. We need to wait a couple months to judge the true real world durability of this phone.

Man, I miss Steve. He would have never allowed this crap to be made. I believe in his one handed small iphone philosophy, even if it means sacrificing some sales to larger phone companies.
  • Reply 42 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tyler82 View Post

Here you go

Here you go:

• Reply 43 of 196
    For years I wondered what's Apple's obsession is with making something as small as possible while people want long battery life.

The answer is all in the cost and profit margins. Less materials used means less cost and more profit.

There is no way Apple tested this phone with it in their pockets because it's totally unacceptable.

This is a HUGE deal because Apple can't just "fix" it like they have in the past with a case or screen protector.

Class action lawsuit coming soon.
  • Reply 44 of 196
    Gee how about an actual scientific test with a scale and a press so that a measureable repeatable test could be done.

Just saying I thought he pressed his thumbs directly next to the volume controls on the plus the clear weak point.

And plus 1 to test galaxy class phones.
  • Reply 45 of 196
    tyler82tyler82 Posts: 1,101member

Here you go:

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/s3QcOSyD38M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

As a proud Apple stock owner, you will find refuge in any means of denial necessary. :D
  • Reply 46 of 196
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    If you have a plus and are worried about it, put it in a polycarbonate framed case... End of problem I would assume.

My plus will ride caseless but I am not sure whether or not it will be my main phone or the plain 6 will be my main phone. Still trying each out for a period. But I will have AppleCare on it once my CC cycle goes into the next billing period :0
  • Reply 47 of 196
    What a waste of fucking time. This 'bendgate' crap and all the damn tech sites eating it up is ridiculous.
  • Reply 48 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheRealTom View Post

Interesting he tried to bend most other major smartphones but failed to try to bend a scamsung. Perhaps he was payed by said company to bend an iPhone/not to bend a samsung device as they know what would happen.

Someone bend a samsung device please?

• Reply 49 of 196
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member

Mostly off topic aside about a bend in my iPad mini

My iPad mini (original model) was in my front left pants pocket (cargo pocket below the main pocket -- Vertx internal patch pocket instead of external like most cargo pants) and had a Sony 10000mah batter pack behind it (between the iPad and my leg).  I sat in the seat at Space Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland and the safety bar was hard to pull all the way back to my gut.  I wrote it off as big fat Gaijin in Japanese roller coaster car issues.  However, a few days later I discovered a noticeable bend in the corner of the iPad, where it was forced over the edge of the battery pack by the safety bar.    From the front you don't notice it (when using it) since there was no screen crack or anything at all, but from the side you see a noticeable corner dip or a couple mm where the actual start of the bend is a few inches back up the side of the iPad.  It is one tough cookie.  That was in Jan 2014.   I still use this iPad regularly without issue.   And people are amazed when I show them the bend.

• Reply 50 of 196

Well, it's not often that I would say such a thing, but:

Mr. Hilsenteger is a good bender.

?He approaches the facts with a straight face.

?As you would expect, the 6 is less of a bender than the 6 Plus. The 5s is even less of a bender. I don't think I would worry about the 6. It was hard to see much, if any dent when he had finished.

One shouldn’t twist this issue out of proportion. Nonetheless, Cook may have a Houdini act on his hands if BendGate is not to mushroom. The road to resolution may not be straight.

• Reply 51 of 196

I think this timely message from Jim Dalrymple bears repeating:

• Reply 52 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Come off it.

Get a clue. You are so determined to defend Apple and are willing to blindly dismiss a real issue you make your opinion worthless. This is simple math and science. When you make a phone as thin as possible, make it out of a material that will bend, give it a large flat surface area you are doomed to have issues. 

I doubt you have even put your hands on one of these phones. Get an iPhone 6 Plus, make a youtube video to dismiss the claims if they upset you that much. If not take your own advice and shut up and go away. 

• Reply 53 of 196
    I want thinner next time. No one complains about the iPod touch being so thin.

Just ditch the wimpy aluminium.
  • Reply 54 of 196
    Its pretty simple folks, put a CASE on your phone and remove the risk of bending.
  • Reply 55 of 196
    chadbag wrote: »
    Mostly off topic aside about a bend in my iPad mini

My iPad mini (original model) was in my front left pants pocket (cargo pocket below the main pocket -- Vertx internal patch pocket instead of external like most cargo pants) and had a Sony 10000mah batter pack behind it (between the iPad and my leg).  I sat in the seat at Space Mountain in Tokyo Disneyland and the safety bar was hard to pull all the way back to my gut.  I wrote it off as big fat Gaijin in Japanese roller coaster car issues.  However, a few days later I discovered a noticeable bend in the corner of the iPad, where it was forced over the edge of the battery pack by the safety bar.    From the front you don't notice it (when using it) since there was no screen crack or anything at all, but from the side you see a noticeable corner dip or a couple mm where the actual start of the bend is a few inches back up the side of the iPad.  It is one tough cookie.  That was in Jan 2014.   I still use this iPad regularly without issue.   And people are amazed when I show them the bend.

A friend got a Mini from someone who smashed it in a trunk door, was bent all out of shape. He tweaked it back to semi-flatness, replaced the digitzer and battery, and it worked fine. I almost traded him my OG MBA for it (I have an Air but kinda want a Mini too).
  • Reply 56 of 196

Someone's either really hard up for attention or has more money than brains, if they're going to gather thousands of dollars worth of electronics and then bend the devices to the breaking point just to prove that they can.

I just go by the easy pocketability standard. If the phone encounters resistance when slipping it into your pocket or you feel it uncomfortably pinching, you need to stop wearing skinny jeans or find some other way to carry the phone if you must have a big screen with you at all times.

• Reply 57 of 196
    In a quiet corner somewhere the shade of Archimedes is sobbing quietly to himself, for he can now see that he lived in vain.
  • Reply 58 of 196
    Area has no bearing on bendability; leverage depends on length. Don't believe me?

Take a 1" square piece of metal (Total area = 1 sq inch) and another piece of the same metal, 10" long and 1/10th" wide (Total area = 1 sq inch). Try bending them both. Guess which one bends easiest? The long one.

Get over this "surface area" thing already. Or go back to Physics 101 and look at leverage and force.
  • Reply 59 of 196

The stiffness of things goes as the material modulus times the section modulus which is a geometrical term that, for a rectangular block, goes as the thickness CUBED times the width.

In other words if you make something phone shaped:

10% thinner it will be 27% less stiff

20% thinner  it will be49% less stiff

Stiffness changes extremely quickly with thickness!

Side note: Gorilla glass is only slightly stiffer than aluminum. So changing the back to aluminum in and of itself doesn't do much. But if the back is thinner too...

And, as was pointed out by another commenter, the round sides aren't helping either

• Reply 60 of 196
    thomprthompr Posts: 1,521member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by faZZter View Post

Interesting that when he tried to bend the iPhone 6 his thumbs were not "together" which lessens the effective length to the fulcrum point, also lessening the torque at the fulcrum. All the other phones he had his thumbs together, and on the Lumia they were actually on top of each other a bit.

try the iPhone again with your thumbs together and lets see what happens.

Not trying to bag on the iPhone 6, in fact I am considering coming back in to the fold with this generation, however I always carry my phone in my front pocket so this type of durability matters a lot to me.

With the kind of force he had to exert, even on the 6 plus, my hunch is that if you are keeping it in a tight pocket and doing anything that is causing risk of bending, you will feel significant stress points on your thigh and hip, or wherever the phone's edges ride in your clothing.  Regardless, the discomfort should have been apparent.  In short, the folks that ended up with bent phones this way were ignoring warning signs.  99.99% of the population wouldn't be "tight-pocketing it like that". This is even less significant than "antennagate" was, and that turned out to be only a tempest in a teapot.  Most reasonable people that were planning on getting a beast of this size probably already knew that a tight pants pocket was not going to be a good option for conveyance.  I sure did.  That's why I went with the 6.