Samsung openly admits 'positive reaction' to iPhone 6 Plus prompted early launch of Galaxy Note 4

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KiltedGreen View Post

Customers don't care about 64-bit chips? ... Well, that's news.

Longer battery life. Smaller. Cheaper. Faster. Better screen. - you don't need a crystal ball to know that nobody would say no to any of those! The hard part is thinking about what is or could be possible then aiming for that. That is where Apple excels.

The original iPhone is relevant. I was meaning that people often can't imagine the detail of a product because it's outside their experience or expectation. We can all imagine a teleporter or a flying car, but I'm talking about something you can walk into a shop and buy.

First, dude we are talking about what customers want, and not really what they care about per se. I also said 64bit chips is what they would care less about, and not that they won't care about it at all. 

How many iPhone users do you think care so much about the speed of the chip or its architecture anyway??

Everyone would want the price of a Ferrari to drop, but would it?

About iPhone's pricing, don't tell me you have no idea why they won't bring their prices down as much as you would want.

About battery life, they've addressed that to an extent. TBH I would have jumped off Apple's boat if they didn't do something about that in the iPhone 6.

About the screen, they make a pretty good case. That your eyes can't tell the pixels apart from a particular distance and blah blah blah. 

Regardless of all this, they are not forcing the product on you. You can just move on if you don't want it.

• Reply 102 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hey, Samsung, the positive reaction isn't because of the screen size, but because of the level of conscious design from the HW to the SW.

That post may have been a victim of poor timing. One thread taking about a phone that bends another talking about an update that killed cellular data and Touch ID. 

• Reply 103 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Sigma4Life View Post

I'll answer those right after you tell me the numbers from your highly accurate market research of people that don't want a large phone.

Don't have to... it will be done for me over the next few months.

You, on the other hand, can dodge the questions all you want because I know that you will never be able to answer them.

Besides... it's my opinion. I'm entitled to it.

• Reply 104 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

And yet all those 5C were sold and the 5C was the #2 phone in the world for months in multiple markets.

The bottom line is do you TRUST APPLE'S JUDGEMENT?  I do.  They have proven right time and time again.  And that's why they sell more and more iPhones each year.  Stop allowing PERSONAL PREFERENCES to cloud your reason.

Oh... you're going there again, are you.

Citation for the 5C sales, please.

Hahahahaha... it didn't even show up in the big 4 US carrier top 3 sales from January 2014 on.

• Reply 105 of 158
    Effing idiots. Losers.
  • Reply 106 of 158
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    maestro64 wrote: »
    This going to be interesting to watch, if they were so confident they had a better product and their was demand for their product, won't consumers wait and pay the price, they had no need to do this since Apple is just copying them.
    I get the distinct impression Samsung doesn't think very highly of their customers' intelligence. Looking at their ads, and things like this, one gets the impression that they think their users are a bunch of easily swayed morons. So they worry when a new iPhone comes out that the people who thought screen size was a major determinator of quality will jump ship.

Who knows? Maybe they're right.

Actually, I would kinda disagree with you there. The Apple of old (i.e. the Jobs Era), you would be absolutely correct. His Steveness never really listened to customers because he felt, and more often than not correctly, that they [customers] didn't really know what they wanted. As such, he usually dismissed the masses clamoring for Feature A, and instead gave polished products and features that people didn't know they wanted until Apple showed them.
    That's a truism of IT in general. The customer doesn't know what they want until they see it. Until then they just want what they already have, only better.
    That said, the Cook Era of Apple has been more receptive of customer requests. Things like Handoff between iOS and OS X, Family Sharing (something I have been asking for for years), and a few others that I know people have been wanting that have been added since Cook took over.
    Except that I suspect Apple have wanted to bring many of these features to the market for some time, but they haven't had a working solution. Handoff, in particular, is a tricky thing to do. They didn't just come up with it this year, they've been working on it for ages. Possibly since the first iPhone. Likewise Extensibility. Hell, even Copy and Paste, back in the old days. These things were not introduced when they were because of public demand, they were released when they were ready, and met Apple's standards.

Rushing things out the door when they're not ready is when Apple (or anyone else, for that matter) has problems. Sometimes this might be a reaction to public demand, other times it might be they simply got it wrong. (Apple's standards aren't infallible, after all.)
  • Reply 107 of 158
    ninuola wrote: »
    Samsung definitely caused this situation itself. They made Apple enter the territory they were dominating.
    Instead of them to have subtly been selling their phones without insulting Apple's iPhones or customer base, they didn't. Thereby bringing Apple's customers and Apple's attention itself to their so called special features..

They insulted the iPhone about its small screen, the iPhone 6 & + has huge screens now.
    They insulted the iPhone about its short battery span, the iPhone 6 & + has lots of battery juice to go around.
    I hope they keep talking about the true multitasking and that split-screen use of their phones, and maybe apple will just have to release that next.
    Great point! I almost forgot about their idiotic ad campaigns (not!). Gee, if only someone at Samsung had read marketing 101.
  • Reply 108 of 158

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

... record-breaking opening weekend sales of Apple's new, larger iPhones has prompted arch-rival Samsung to both speed up the release of its Galaxy Note 4 as well as slash the phablet's list price ...

Welcome to the race to the bottom, Samsung.

Not the low-end feature-phone race.  The smartphones-crushed-by-iPhone race.

You know, the race with Facebook, HTC, LG, Xiaomi, and all those other iPhone cloners.

Good.  Luck.  With.  That.

It's clear that Samsung's phone / phablet release schedule has forever been disrupted.  They used to release their phones halfway between iPhone releases, so the most recent iPhone release was 6 months in the past and the next iPhone release was 6 months in the future.  They obviously thought that this was the "sweet spot," when the current iPhone model was no longer brand-spanking-new, the tech media was looking for web traffic in that huge between-iPhone-model-years lull, and the next iPhone model was too far away for people to wait for.  (Same reason why movie studios release crappy movies in the spring.  Because Oscar-contenders are released in the winter and potential blockbusters are released in the summer.  No use releasing a crappy movie in either of those seasons.)

Or so they thought.  Now, when Samsung releases a smartphone 6 months after each year's iPhone release, they benefit far less.  Because that "newest smartphone on the market" halo works both ways.  Each new iPhone model is released into  a world of older iPhone models as well as older Samsung smartphone models.  And also because Samsung is clearly trailing in both hardware and software technologically.  Yup, still stuck with 32-bit CPUs and stuck on whatever Android release cycle Google decides is good enough.  Still on 4.x I hear.  The net effect is that Samsung can no longer even claim to be attempting to leapfrog Apple in either hardware or software.  Especially now that Apple has trumped Samsung's big-ass screen marketing checklist item.  (All they have left is the stylus, but only if you ignore the fact that there are plenty of very good aftermarket styli available for iPhone and iPad.)

So what does Samsung do?  They rush the release of their phones and phablets, so they won't be perceived as trailing Apple too far in terms of time-to-market.  And, frankly, moving the schedule up isn't all that hard.  Not much real development between Samsung smartphone generations any more.  And Google seems to be happy leaving Android at 4.x.  Just like Palm left Palm OS at 5.x for all those years.  And we all know how that turned out for Palm.

But who is the new release schedule going to fool?  Clueless first-time smartphone buyers looking for the newest smartphone?  Maybe.  Clueless buyers can be influenced by cell company store sales associates.  Cheapskates looking for a "free" smartphone?  Not so much.  Apple has had "free" low-end previous-generation iPhones for years.  The 5C is this year's "free" iPhone.  The cheapskates have been trained to expect "free" phones from Apple every year.

No, there's just nowhere for Samsung to hide.  If they release their smartphones months after each new iPhone is released, they'll (potentially) lose sales to the brand-new iPhone model.  If they release their smartphones at the same general time that each new iPhone is released, their marketing and ads will be overwhelmed by iPhone buzz and they'll lose (potential) sales to iPhone anyway.

So yeah, welcome to the race to the bottom, Samsung.

Your only choice, now, is to drop prices.

Xiaomi is waiting down there for you.

• Reply 109 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

So what does Samsung do?

umm, sell tons of phones?

• Reply 110 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Umm, at low prices?

You know, race-to-the-bottom-to-try-beating-Xiaomi-for-volume-prices?

• Reply 111 of 158

[odd image]

Hence his comment about racing to the bottom.
  • Reply 112 of 158
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    dasanman69 wrote: »
    And I'll spot the person with no integrity. Is it so hard to say that SJ was mistaken? There's nothing wrong with being wrong. Call a spade a spade. Don't come with some 'outdated' BS.

Because what you posted is bs and everyone here knows it.

It's like quoting Steve about nobody reads anymore in 2008 when iBooks launched in 2010.

Or quoting Steve about how tablets will fail because everyone wants keyboards in 2003.

Or quoting Steve about how he wasn't convinced people want to watch video on an iPod in 2003 before launching a video iPod in 2005.

And there's several more examples of Steve saying one thing when he absolutely knew what was being worked on in his most secret labs.

Either this guy was the most clueless visionary ever or he sandbagged a lot.

Gee I wonder which one it was and who the fucking troll is. Call a spade a spade indeed.
  • Reply 113 of 158
    C
    So, what is this even a plot of? Apple sold something like 48 million phones in their hot quarter in 2013. So, I have no idea whatsoever what this plot is even about! it tells me nothing about how many phones Samsung sells since I don't even know if I believe any of this data.
  • Reply 114 of 158

Originally Posted by baeder View Post

C

So, what is this even a plot of? Apple sold something like 48 million phones in their hot quarter in 2013. So, I have no idea whatsoever what this plot is even about! it tells me nothing about how many phones Samsung sells since I don't even know if I believe any of this data.

Here's a plot for you:  "Samsung at Two-Year Low Lures Templeton Global Funds"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-23/samsung-at-two-year-low-lures-templeton-global-funds.html

So, yeah, the Edge and the Note 4 really didn't help Samsung's stock much.

At all.

• Reply 115 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Hence his comment about racing to the bottom.

Maybe, I don't really care how Samsung does, as I've never owned one of their smartphones, and won't be buying one, but every chart out there shows them selling more and more phones each year.

The Note 4 is going to hit the market at ~$700 unlocked, which seems about right vs. a $600 S5. I'm not seeing how releasing a product ahead of schedule signals some sort of impending doom. Apple and Samsung will continue to dominate in the US for the next couple of years.

• Reply 116 of 158

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Samsung stock is at its lowest level since 2012 as profit forecasts have been slashed. Samsung is being beat by Apple at the high end and Chinsese OEMs at the low end.

Exactly.  And here are some links for further reading:

"Samsung at Two-Year Low Lures Templeton Global Funds"

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-09-23/samsung-at-two-year-low-lures-templeton-global-funds.html

"... Samsung has lost 16 percent this year amid competition for mobile phone sales from Apple Inc. and cheaper Chinese and Indian producers."

"They’ll have to work through a period where they get less profit out of smartphones at some point over the next three to five years ..."

"Does Samsung Need Crisis Management?"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/does-samsung-crisis-management-223206696.html

"... ineffective product differentiation sparks margin erosion and a decline in market share."

"Profitability is deteriorating more steeply than expected ..."

"Samsung Has a Bigger Problem Than Apple"

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/samsung-bigger-problem-apple-161204395.html

"... Google regularly undercuts Samsung's offerings ..."

"...  they have no operating system differentiation."

• Reply 117 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

...  I'm not seeing how releasing a product ahead of schedule signals some sort of impending doom. Apple and Samsung will continue to dominate in the US for the next couple of years.

Impending doom?  You want impending doom?

See my post on the previous page.  With the links pointing to Samsung's stock losses, lack of product differentiation, steeper smartphone profitability declines than anticipated, etc.

Try to spin that.

[Update here's an excerpt from my previous post.]

"... Samsung has lost 16 percent this year amid competition for mobile phone sales from Apple Inc. and cheaper Chinese and Indian producers."

"They’ll have to work through a period where they get less profit out of smartphones at some point over the next three to five years ..."

"... ineffective product differentiation sparks margin erosion and a decline in market share."

• Reply 118 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SockRolid View Post

Impending doom?  You want impending doom?

See my post on the previous page.  With the links pointing to Samsung's stock losses, lack of product differentiation, steeper smartphone profitability declines than anticipated, etc.

Try to spin that.

[Update here's an excerpt from my previous post.]

Maybe they're on the way out, maybe they aren't. I'm not a direct shareholder, so I really don't care. My prediction is that you'll have Samsung phones to complain about for years to come.

• Reply 119 of 158
    nht wrote: »
    Because what you posted is bs and everyone here knows it.

It's like quoting Steve about nobody reads anymore in 2008 when iBooks launched in 2010.

Or quoting Steve about how tablets will fail because everyone wants keyboards in 2003.

Or quoting Steve about how he wasn't convinced people want to watch video on an iPod in 2003 before launching a video iPod in 2005.

And there's several more examples of Steve saying one thing when he absolutely knew what was being worked on in his most secret labs.

Either this guy was the most clueless visionary ever or he sandbagged a lot.

Gee I wonder which one it was and who the fucking troll is. Call a spade a spade indeed.

I'll go with clueless, just like we all are at one point or another.
  • Reply 120 of 158
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't quite buy that.

The 4.7... sure.

The 5.5... I heard more people saying that was too big than I heard anyone saying it's a great size.

Samsung showed that it was a viable size.

Personally, I think the 5.5 was a stupid idea.

"It's the OS!"

Once a "stupid" idea can sell 5 million+ products un 24  hours, everyone wants to have that "stupid" idea.