Google's Schmidt says Samsung had iPhone 6-like product last year, calls Apple competition 'brutal'

Posted:
in General Discussion edited August 2015
During an interview with Bloomberg on Wednesday, Google chairman Eric Schmidt was grilled on the launch of Apple's iPhone 6, but played off the record debut by saying Samsung got there first.

As part of a publicity tour for his book "How Google Works," Schmidt agreed to take part in an interview on Market Makers with co-author and SVP Jonathan Rosenberg, but it seems the pair was not prepared for what followed.

Shortly after exchanging salutations, co-anchors Stephanie Ruhle and Erik Schatzker dispensed with the softball questions and proceeded to conduct a fairly probing exchange, touching on Apple, Android and Google at large.

Ruhle was first to broach the subject of Apple, asking Schmidt what he felt when seeing the long lines that formed at Apple Stores when the iPhone 6 and 6 Plus launched last week.

"I'll tell you what I think," Schmidt said. "Samsung had these products a year ago."

Ruhle quickly pointed out, however, that Samsung's Galaxy device launches failed to spark the fervor witnessed at Apple Stores around the world, where customers eagerly lined up to wait overnight -- in some cases days -- to be among the first iPhone 6 owners. Apple later announced first weekend sales hit a record 10 million iPhone 6 and 6 Plus units.

The question was again rebuffed, with Schmidt repeating, "I think Samsung had the products a year ago, that's what I think."

Co-anchor Erik Schatzker followed up Ruhle's line of questions by digging into Android's business model, noting smartphone makers that license the mobile OS are unable to keep pace with Apple iPhone revenue. The venture is a money maker for Google, but Apple is able to trump even the likes of Samsung when it comes to profits.

"The fact of the matter is you can make a small marketshare with a lot of profits, or you can make the same amount of money with a much larger marketshare with lesser profits." Schmidt said. "We go for volume in our strategies."

Schmidt went on to characterize Google's competition with Apple as "brutal" and is the "defining fight of the computer industry today." With the two companies waging battle in the marketplace, the Google chairman said consumers are the real winners as the fight is a catalyst for smartphone innovation, more choices and lower costs.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 158
    Schmidt. Schmidt. Schmidt.

He's full of it.
  • Reply 2 of 158

Balmer 2.0

• Reply 3 of 158
    Google and Samsung are sucks
  • Reply 4 of 158
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Rumour has it even Larry and Sergey can't stand this guy.

I can't say I blame them...

[IMG ALT=""]http://forums.appleinsider.com/content/type/61/id/49543/width/500/height/1000[/IMG]
  • Reply 5 of 158
    The problems with the questions being asked Schmidt is that the correct answers didn't fit the revisionist history in the Schmidty book he's hawking...
  • Reply 6 of 158

Samsung had a 64 bit, aluminum body phone running IOS a year ago?

Did they even have one with 64 bit and aluminum body running Android?   Nope, just plastic phones running crap.  

• Reply 7 of 158
    Samsung was first with what? A piece of junk running a fragmented piece of junk OS ripoff of Apple's IP.

It's not about the money%u2014neither Apple's nor Google's. Money comes and goes%u2014except when Apple earns its money with good design, a carefully built comprehensive ecosystem, with a motivated, well coordinated team of dedicated employees, led by competent management, resulting in products people really want, and are willing to pay good money for, because they know their lives will be enhanced by using them.

Who lines up for other companies' products? None on the scale of Apple, at least.
  • Reply 8 of 158
    quinneyquinney Posts: 2,528member
    What he calls thoughts, most people call wishes.
  • Reply 9 of 158
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    I used to think Schmidt was a decent guy. With all his comments in the past couplr yrs though, its clear I was mistaken and he's obviously a piece of shit.

It's pretty pathetic how he continually cheerleads for Samsung, as if that company is the epitome of quality. Especially since they frankenstein Android with all their extra touchwiz garbage. Really sheds light on what Schmidt believes in- or doesnt believe in. Eric, there's a shitload of company making nicer devices than Samsung- HTC, Motorola, etc. But make sure you dont give them any publicity- make sure you keep promoting the only Android OEM making any profit.
  • Reply 10 of 158

Virtually only mistake of Steve Jobs was not firing this LYING CHEATING SLEEZEBALL (from the Apple Board)

I am a Lawyer - this guy left himself wide open for a fiduciary lawsuit - In my opinion … he heard about the phone in confidential Apple board meetings

The UNETHICAL SLIME (opinion) works behind the scene with Google to copy.

Law is a great profession for professionals.

This guy is unprofessional slime in my opinion.

• Reply 11 of 158

He can't help it that he eat paint chips when he was a little kid, and now says stupid things.

• Reply 12 of 158
    Schmidt who? Most Android users don't know Googles execs. Ask an Apple fan who designes the iPhone. Who the CEO is. Who the previous CEO was. This guy is a joke.
  • Reply 13 of 158
    ecatsecats Posts: 272member
    Schmidt needs a reality check. When was the last Google breakthrough service or device? Just copying the industry and reducing the price is not innovation. They're fighting against China with that unwinnable strategy.

Last time I checked they turned themselves into an acquisition machine with more press releases about imaginary future products than actual shipping products.
  • Reply 14 of 158

Evil prick has being dead to me since he made the comment (about 6-9 months ago) about how Google was a more innovative company as it still was run by its founders.

• Reply 15 of 158
    mstonemstone Posts: 11,510member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

I am a Lawyer 

How did you ever pass the bar? No attorney would ever post such stupid comments.

• Reply 16 of 158
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nyuestateplanninglawyer View Post

Virtually only mistake of Steve Jobs was not firing this LYING CHEATING SLEEZEBALL (from the Apple Board)

I am a Lawyer - this guy left himself wide open for a fiduciary lawsuit - In my opinion … he heard about the phone in confidential Apple board meetings

The UNETHICAL SLIME (opinion) works behind the scene with Google to copy.

Law is a great profession for professionals.

This guy is unprofessional slime in my opinion.

He must have something on Apple which is why they never sued but went after Samsung instead. Big mistake- so much time and money spent and Apple won virtually squat. 

• Reply 17 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by lotones View Post

Balmer 2.0

Balmer was much more entertaining. This guy's just a putz.

• Reply 18 of 158
    hexclockhexclock Posts: 1,243member
    Who lines up for other companies' products? None on the scale of Apple, at least.[/quote]
    I went to my local Apple store today, and there was still a ton of people waiting in a que to buy a 6 or 6 plus.
  • Reply 19 of 158
    I truly can't believe that Google has given him multiple billions in compensation.
  • Reply 20 of 158
    Bigger volume and thinner margin means greater risk. One should point out that, of the android phones, only Samsung turns a profit — most likely because of its cheap phones and non-phone operations, not its smartphone products.