Apple's iOS 8.0.1 update breaks cellular connectivity, Touch ID support for many users

Comments

• Reply 301 of 343
    slurpy wrote: »
    I don't get people who jump on an update the second it's released. Would it kill you to wait a day or two? Let a couple million others be guinea pigs. Is it worth the risk grabbing the update RIGHT AWAY when you havent heard a word of feedback about it? Just common sense. Wait 24 hrs. It won't kill you.
    thats what devloper testing is for. Apple didnt follow their own standards for their release process. Its no one else's fault but Apple and they have yet to comment other than we are looking into it. Its a complete breaking of peoples trust in Apple. Why is there no response from the CEO 6 hours later? When you pay more you expect more.
  • Reply 302 of 343
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    slurpy wrote: »
    I don't get people who jump on an update the second it's released. Would it kill you to wait a day or two? Let a couple million others be guinea pigs. Is it worth the risk grabbing the update RIGHT AWAY when you havent heard a word of feedback about it? Just common sense. Wait 24 hrs. It won't kill you.
    So who should be the guinea pigs? I guess the right answer would be Apple employees or developers but that apparently didn't happen.
  • Reply 303 of 343

Not sure if this is inclusive, but 8.01 problems seem to be related to some 5S and 6 devices with touch ID enabled. WIFI always worked, b It tout no LTE or data connections, or finger touch ID.  It took awhile but I got mine back up working. (iPhone 6+ Verizon). The short answer is to restore to factory settings, followed by restore from your MAC or PC.

Heres the steps as best as I remember them : Note I recovered via a Mac

1) On iPhone iCloud setting, turn off find my phone.

2) Hold simultaneously the power and round touch key for about 8 seconds until both the screen goes black and comes back with apple logo. Keep depressing the touch key, but release the power button until the icon with a cable indicating connect to iTunes comes on the screen.  This action begins the sequence that occurred when you first pulled it out of the box. 

3) Connect the cable to your Mac or PC and start iTunes (should start up by itself on a Mac). iTunes recognized an unidentified iPhone (appears under devices) and asks you if you want to RESTORE to ORIGINAL Factory settings. Answer yes or whatever the affirmative prompt is to do this. NOTE this causes the LATEST APPLE RELEASE SOFTWARE, which is again 8.0 to be loaded.  Once complete, I saw Verizon come right up.

4) Begin the usual manual updates required at the HELLO screen.  It will continue into the fingerprint ID again if you want to do that then, or you can do at a later time.  

5) Once these initial settings are completed, go back to iTunes screen and the restore option is there to restore the back up--this WILL NOT put 8.0.1 on there, but will put all your contacts, emails, songs, pix and other data back.

Now you are back in business.

I'm just glad to have my phone back. I no genius, but was able to find enough info out from update at www.imore.com update to complete.

• Reply 304 of 343
    adonissmu wrote: »
    thats what devloper testing is for. Apple didnt follow their own standards for their release process. Its no one else's fault but Apple and they have yet to comment other than we are looking into it. Its a complete breaking of peoples trust in Apple. Why is there no response from the CEO 6 hours later? When you pay more you expect more.

Really there should have been an email communication from Apple explaining what to do if you updated your software and are having issues. We've gone 8 hours and the only response is "we're looking into it". Yes we do expect better than that. I thought with Katie Cotton gone Apple was supposed to be more open. I guess not.
  • Reply 305 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Really there should have been an email communication from Apple explaining what to do if you updated your software and are having issues. We've gone 8 hours and the only response is "we're looking into it". Yes we do expect better than that. I thought with Katie Cotton gone Apple was supposed to be more open. I guess not.

Well, at this point they've pulled the update and no doubt they are evaluating the problem. It would be even worse if they came back with a fix that didn't fix anything. Patience, all.

• Reply 306 of 343
    Still think this was a "fast tracked" update to resolve the HealthKit issues. Things that buck the normal release process usually wind up this way.
  • Reply 307 of 343
    smaffei wrote: »
    Still think this was a "fast tracked" update to resolve the HealthKit issues. Things that buck the normal release process usually wind up this way.
    follow the release process for a single character added into the code.
  • Reply 308 of 343

Well, at this point they've pulled the update and no doubt they are evaluating the problem. It would be even worse if they came back with a fix that didn't fix anything. Patience, all.
    Maybe they know it's isolated to a small number of users. Still if I wasn't able to make calls on my phone right now I'd be telling people to screw their patience. It's really unfortunate this happened. From what I can tell it was a minor bug fix update (some quirky things I see in Safari on my iPad Air are still there after the update) that turned in to a big problem. Even if it's not affecting a lot of users it's still a big PR nightmare as the internet and social media amplifies everything these days.
  • Reply 309 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

Yes.

• Reply 310 of 343
    Quote:

totally impossible to see all the bugs that might arise. However, in this case Apple didnt even send it through the developer beta testing process they set up. That is why Im annoyed with Apple. Its a rookie mistake not to use their QA and developer beta process every time.

Apple frequently doesn't release small point-releases to developers. The goal of developer testing is to see if the new OS versions break the developer's software (so they can prepare fixes), not to flush bugs out of OS releases.

Regardless, this update snafu seems more likely to be a bug in the update process than the software update itself.

• Reply 311 of 343
    gerrit wrote: »

Apple frequently doesn't release small point-releases to developers. The goal of developer testing is to see if the new OS versions break the developer's software (so they can prepare fixes), not to flush bugs out of OS releases.

Regardless, this update snafu seems more likely to be a bug in the update process than the software update itself.
    this is true somwhat but given that its launch week and so many upgrades and switches from Android youd think theyd want to avoid so much bad press surrounding iPhone 6 and 6+.
  • Reply 312 of 343
    dbhdbh Posts: 41member

i don't have issue with the TouchID.. i'm using iPhone 5... hehehehe

• Reply 313 of 343
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mgcsooner View Post

Not sure if this is inclusive, but 8.01 problems seem to be related to some 5S and 6 devices with touch ID enabled. WIFI always worked, b It tout no LTE or data connections, or finger touch ID.  It took awhile but I got mine back up working. (iPhone 6+ Verizon). The short answer is to restore to factory settings, followed by restore from your MAC or PC.

Heres the steps as best as I remember them : Note I recovered via a Mac

1) On iPhone iCloud setting, turn off find my phone.

2) Hold simultaneously the power and round touch key for about 8 seconds until both the screen goes black and comes back with apple logo. Keep depressing the touch key, but release the power button until the icon with a cable indicating connect to iTunes comes on the screen.  This action begins the sequence that occurred when you first pulled it out of the box. 

3) Connect the cable to your Mac or PC and start iTunes (should start up by itself on a Mac). iTunes recognized an unidentified iPhone (appears under devices) and asks you if you want to RESTORE to ORIGINAL Factory settings. Answer yes or whatever the affirmative prompt is to do this. NOTE this causes the LATEST APPLE RELEASE SOFTWARE, which is again 8.0 to be loaded.  Once complete, I saw Verizon come right up.

4) Begin the usual manual updates required at the HELLO screen.  It will continue into the fingerprint ID again if you want to do that then, or you can do at a later time.  

5) Once these initial settings are completed, go back to iTunes screen and the restore option is there to restore the back up--this WILL NOT put 8.0.1 on there, but will put all your contacts, emails, songs, pix and other data back.

Now you are back in business.

I'm just glad to have my phone back. I no genius, but was able to find enough info out from update at www.imore.com update to complete.

You don't need to restore your phone to get it working again. Download iOS 8, hook up your iPhone to iTunes, turn off Find My iPhone, hold down the Option key and select check for update. You then select the iOS 8 file you downloaded. Your phone is back working again in under 5 minutes. 

• Reply 314 of 343

Fixed problem with a Restore. Shouldn't happen but Apple support was great. Glad I didn't have to deal with Samsung or Google!

• Reply 315 of 343
    sloppy
  • Reply 316 of 343
    Quote:

this is true somwhat but given that its launch week and so many upgrades and switches from Android youd think theyd want to avoid so much bad press surrounding iPhone 6 and 6+.

Unfortunately things going wrong at launch is pretty normal... and there's always some part that hasn't been fully tested or "someone screwed up" and it leads to problems. When I got the original iPhone, the iTunes activation service melted down and my iPhone didn't get activated for 3 days. The iPhone 3GS power adapters were deemed dangerous and all replaced with the green dot ones. The iPhone 4 had antenna gate.

And it's not just iPhones... OS X 10.3.0 had a bug that erased any connected FireWire hard drive and my launch Nintendo Wii was corrupted by its first system update.

The important thing is that post-launch, after passing the bumps in the road, I went on to love all these things and many other people did too. Because ultimately, they really are just growing pains of otherwise great products. I think people are smart enough to recognize that... even in the face of "bad press". (Which in this case is just the online echo-chamber of click-bait headlines.)

• Reply 317 of 343
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by smaffei View Post

Yes.

Every. Time.

• Reply 318 of 343
    Use an unreleased product with no officially released feature set? Ok...
    As for GPU choice, Apple has always offered only one choice of vendor and routinely switches between the two. I'm sure it all comes down to cost. But NVIDIA supports OpenCL as well, and as I said, would it kill them to offer us the choice?
    I have no doubt they would be shifting more Mac Pro's had they offered NVIDIA Tesla cards in there...
    Your comments, FWIW, make no sense.

They don’t. Use Photos.

Obviously pretty hard. Ask nVidia why they were dropped, rather.
  • Reply 319 of 343

Anyone having iTunes library syncing problems? Since I installed iOS8 my iPhone 5 doesn't sync my music, or at most it will sync a handful of syncs. It just quits out every time I try - very frustrating. You'd think Apple would run thorough QA and testing for everything before pushing out to public.

• Reply 320 of 343

Once again, another terrible problem that doesn't affect me. All connectivity is better on my iPhone 5. Can't say a thing about Touch ID because I don't have it.