Google's Schmidt says Samsung had iPhone 6-like product last year, calls Apple competition 'brutal'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 158
    According to Schmidt, Apple has "caught up". OK, for sake of argument, let's say that's the case. So now what is Google/Samsung gonna do? That's really what they were really asking him. And he didn't have a good answer.
  • Reply 22 of 158
    This book is just another petty attempt to promote google propaganda that no one really cares about. It will be read begrudgingly by a few journalists and bought by the google true believers. It looks to be the same old schmidt that schmidt has been peddling for years, where he reframes a discussion he had with a dead guy (who can't defend himself) in order to play the unwitting, incredulous victim of mean 'ol Apple. He has no class whatsoever (or shame, which might explain his affection for samsung).

And of course there will be rhetoric about how google's multiple and continued failures are actually noble experiments, and not just due to incompetence; a ten year old could have predicted that wifi via weather balloon would be completely useless.

Somehow I doubt there's anything in there about google being fined for privacy abuses, penalized for advertising for illegal pharmaceutical sellers, investigations into monopolistic practices, or how they target inboxes with sleazy "Is he/she cheating on you?" ads.
  • Reply 23 of 158
    Archos had the large-capacity MP3 player before Apple did, so there. And they're a DOMINANT player in the market.
  • Reply 24 of 158
    mstone wrote: »

I am a Lawyer 
    How did you ever pass the bar? No attorney would ever post such stupid comments.

I see the cat's brought something in…
  • Reply 25 of 158
    When Schmidt rose in the ranks at Sun Microsystems and I first saw him, my comment was "what a smarmy guy! This is the end for Sun." I have not changed my opinion of him ever since. His insincerity just gets under my skin. I just looked him up on Wikipedia - he was born in D.C. - so this personality trait fits right in!

I was really amazed when Sergey and Larry hired this joker. But I guess I shouldn't be surprised: geeks are usually not good judges of character.
  • Reply 26 of 158

I can't stand him either!  Just watch the video, what a jerk and his actions.  Love to see someone knock him on his ass.

• Reply 27 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by ECats View Post

When was the last Google breakthrough service or device?

This year? Maybe Google Cloud Services and Apps Platform, where you can create, host, maintain, and build HTML5 solutions, with big data capabilities, integrated debuggers, flourishing APIs, and do it all from within Chrome.

It is a platform I can use to process customer orders for my sports photography side-business. Google has eliminated the need for 90% of backend development resources.

In my day job, we're using these services to cut out an expensive business partner who provides the backend solution for our product. One engineer is replacing seven with a more performant and maintainable system.

So what's a bigger breakthrough? A 64-bit processor in my pocket to run Waze, or a tangible toolset to make lots of money?

Schmidt could work on his charisma though.

• Reply 28 of 158
    buckalec wrote: »
    Evil prick has being dead to me since he made the comment (about 6-9 months ago) about how Google was a more innovative company as it still was run by its founders.

That's one thing that seems endemic in google's leadership, a bizarre lack of empathy; that and a delusional sense of grandiosity.
  • Reply 29 of 158
    All this deep insight from the guy who was on Apple's Board, and then started secretly working on an "iPhone" type project of his own at Google. No ethics, and now he's just crying onto his empty plate. Insert sound of baby crying...
  • Reply 30 of 158
    "The fact of the matter is you can make a small marketshare with a lot of profits, or you can make the same amount of money with a much larger marketshare with lesser profits." Schmidt said. "We go for volume in our strategies."

Genius
  • Reply 31 of 158
    beltsbear wrote: »
    Samsung had a 64 bit, aluminum body phone running IOS a year ago?

Did they even have one with 64 bit and aluminum body running Android?   Nope, just plastic phones running crap.  

That's not the reason that Samsung's phones were selling, and if 64 bit aluminum body was enough then why go bigger? The world's most popular phone was 4".
  • Reply 32 of 158

The manufacturers of those "cheap plastic" phones are the same people making everything in the iPhone from the processors to the screens (You're forgetting Apple doesn't actually make any hardware). Polycarbonate (or "cheap plastic", as some people call it) materials are far superior for device survivability, so several flagship devices go with them. Others (not just Apple) are more interested in the appeal of a metal body, and are fine with using a material that is proven to be much less durable for this application (it's common sense, compare polycarbonate deformation to metal deformation [one returns to it's previous shape, the other stays deformed]). Just look at "Bendgate" for confirmation of this...

• Reply 33 of 158
    According to Schmidt, Apple has "caught up". OK, for sake of argument, let's say that's the case. So now what is Google/Samsung gonna do? That's really what they were really asking him. And he didn't have a good answer.

Of course he didn't have a good answer. He has nothing to do with the devices Samsung makes? It's not that hard.
  • Reply 34 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

He must have something on Apple which is why they never sued but went after Samsung instead. Big mistake- so much time and money spent and Apple won virtually squat. 

They bought time. They had unfortunately depended on Google for search and Maps and integrated them deep into their OS.  The suits also made it less likely those companies would so blatantly copy them again.  At the same time they were developing their next moves.  

• Reply 35 of 158
    "The fact of the matter is you can make a small marketshare with a lot of profits, or you can make the same amount of money with a much larger marketshare with lesser profits." Schmidt said. "We go for volume in our strategies."

Genius

Quite.

And it's not like Google has a choice. They don't go for the high-end because they wouldn't win it if they tried; Apple has it wrapped up.
  • Reply 36 of 158

Just the smug look on his face... you can tell he's the biggest douche there is. Just makes me cringe every time.

• Reply 37 of 158
    Great cannon fodder for a publicity campaign.
  • Reply 38 of 158
    If it was created last year, was it successful? No cuz no one wants to buy piece of crap that only works for a little bit then it gets viruses and all that crap. When Apple creates a new product they create them better n more reliable not half way thru it.
  • Reply 39 of 158
    Will someone in California or anywhere where Eric is at, please bust him in his shitty face? He don't know what the fucking he is talking about. Samsung didn't even have a fucking 64bit like iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 have right now. Just please kick him in his tiny bitty balls! ARRGGHH!!!
  • Reply 40 of 158

My solution to Google was to cancel all my Google Accounts.  No point to getting in a pi$$ing contest with a skunk.