Follow-up 'Bendgate' video finds iPhone 6 less flexible than iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 121 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I've got a heavy duty vice and a 36" pipe wrench...

I going get a custom cast iron case for my iPhone 5S just to protect it from people like you!

• Reply 122 of 196

Apple is ahead again with the bendable smartphone - iPhone 6 Plus!  Way to go Apple! 

• Reply 123 of 196
    The bend test is dumb as people who usually put their phone in their back pocket will likely sit on the screen and not on the back of the phone so the screen will bend inward. If the phone is in the front pocket, still the screen will bend inward instead of backward like shown in the video. Someone please do a real test with proper bend pressure measuring tool instead of with two hands.
  • Reply 124 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by amorri6t View Post

Toughest iPhones were the 1st gen, 3G n 3GS hands down..the 4 with the glass back panel was a jk..much improve with the 5 n behond

I still eventually cracked the back of my 3GS (9 month for the first small crack), now after 5 years, its barely holding the back inside (so many very long cracks ;-).

• Reply 125 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

11 million youtube viewers beg to differ.

A child laughing hysterically, or doing some crazy shit, a hundred million hits. Any animal doing something crazy enough, especially if its a cat, gets 100 million hits.

• Reply 126 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by foggyhill View Post

A child laughing hysterically, or doing some crazy shit, a hundred million hits. Any animal doing something crazy enough, especially if its a cat, gets 100 million hits.

Such good examples... comparing cat videos to videos about items, that may or may not be defective, sold by a company that has investors.

I'm impressed.

• Reply 127 of 196
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Someone would be an idiot to think Apple did not test all their devices. 

Which therefore tells us exactly what we need to know about this entire shindig.

I wonder why you claimed otherwise, though.

• Reply 128 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Such good examples... comparing cat videos to videos about items, that may or may not be defective, sold by a company that has investors.

I'm impressed.

Its EXACTLY the same because this clip is a freak show, pure entertainment without any real value whatsoever, just like the cat videos.

If its defective, its not a Youtube videos from a random sources that will tell you. If you rely on Youtube videos from just about anyone for "news" or "analysis", well then I can't help you at all.

If you are interested in real data, you'll advocate for that instead. Write Apple. Ask reputable sites to review the bend resistance of different phones in a scientific way. I'm all for that. Though I myself don't expect a long aluminum phone put into tight pants on which I sit to actually survive. Why, this evaluation? Maybe because of my background in material and mechanical engineering... Or maybe it is just common sense.

• Reply 129 of 196
    Nobody's going to bend a samsuck device, they're too busy pooping on them.
  • Reply 130 of 196
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member

Bring back the 3.5 inch iPhone. It is ideal for your pockets.

Lesson of the week:

Do not put your iPad mini or phablet in your back/front pocket.

• Reply 131 of 196
    Bring on the iPad Pro!
  • Reply 132 of 196
    This is a design flaw that they need to address. The iPhone is supposed to be more solid than the competition, but now it is not. Let's see how they spin this their way and the upcoming fix to this issue.
  • Reply 133 of 196
    Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

This is a design flaw...

Nah.

• Reply 134 of 196
    New iPhones Come Up Big in SquareTrade Breakability Tests
    iPhone 6 Earns Best Score Ever, iPhone 6 Plus Not Far Behind
    Language
    English
  • Reply 135 of 196
    jamesv wrote: »
    New iPhones Come Up Big in SquareTrade Breakability Tests
    iPhone 6 Earns Best Score Ever, iPhone 6 Plus Not Far Behind
    Language
    English
    ........Squaretrade.com under press releases.....check it out. Haters keep hating. iPhones will always be at the top.
  • Reply 136 of 196
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    gilly33 wrote: »
    What a waste of fucking time. This 'bendgate' crap and all the damn tech sites eating it up is ridiculous.

Apparently not as your spending time at a tech site talking about the very thing you find ridiculous. If you truly find this whole thing ridiculous, then just sit back and watch it play out from the sidelines because like it or not this is legitimate news and no amount of hissy fits are going to stop people from discussing this.
  • Reply 137 of 196
    Originally Posted by Relic View Post

...we all absolutely love it when Samsung or another Android phone manufacture screws up but when it’s ever Apples turn under the spotlight most of us become defensive.

Because this has not happened in any respect whatsoever.

• Reply 138 of 196
    How to make money off YouTube:
    1. Buy iPhone 6
    2. Bend it on video
    3. Post video on YouTube channel
    4. Profit!
  • Reply 139 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by peter236 View Post

This is a design flaw that they need to address. The iPhone is supposed to be more solid than the competition, but now it is not. Let's see how they spin this their way and the upcoming fix to this issue.

Why on earth do they need to address it? Addressing it my making it plastic or much thicker? I can't really follow you.

• Reply 140 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Relic View Post

Apparently not as your spending time at a tech site talking about the very thing you find ridiculous. If you truly find this whole thing ridiculous, then just sit back and watch it play out from the sidelines because like it or not this is legitimate news and no amount of hissy fits are going to stop people from discussing this.

Right.. Legitimate... I'll only believe its legitimate when someone, somewhere actually does a real news story on it and does not just post a link to a youtube video or recite a few second hand anecdotes as click bait.  Since most journalists these days just report whatever's on the twitter feed, my expectation that his will happen is a bit low. 

Right now, it is not really a news story in the traditional sense of the word; though the net has kind of perverted the value of that word so much with sourceless factoids filled with "truthiness" that it is only clinging to its original meaning with its bare teeth.