Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in a 'few days,' offers instructions to downgrade

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
After releasing and subsequently pulling the iOS 8.0.1 update earlier today, Apple late Wednesday instructed iPhone 6 and 6 Plus users affected by cellular and Touch ID issues to downgrade back to iOS 8.0 while the company prepares a fix.

In addition to the downgrade procedure, Apple also said it identified the bug causing iOS 8.0.1 to disable cellular connectivity and Touch ID for many iPhone 6 and 6 Plus owners. The company is planning to release a newer iOS 8.0.2 version with a patch in the coming days, according to a support document posted to the company's website. The announcement was first spotted by The Verge.

From Apple's Support pages:
We have a workaround for you if you have an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus and you lost cellular service and Touch ID functionality today after updating to iOS 8.0.1. You can reinstall iOS 8 through iTunes by following the instructions below. We are also preparing iOS 8.0.2 with a fix for the issue, and will release it as soon as it's ready in the next few days.
Apple outlines a step-by-step process of reverting non-functioning iPhone 6 and 6 Plus handsets back to iOS 8.0:
  1. Make sure that you're using the latest version of iTunes.
  2. Connect your iPhone to iTunes.
  3. Back up your iPhone in iTunes on your Mac or PC. iCloud backups won't restore to earlier versions, including iOS 8.0.
  4. Download the file below that corresponds to your device: [Direct download links]
  5. Select the file you just downloaded by doing one of these in iTunes:
    Mac: Press the Option key and click Check for Update.
    Windows: Press the Shift key and click Check for Update.
  6. Press Update to install iOS 8 on your iPhone.
Once reinstallation is complete, an affected user should once again be able to make calls and effectively operate Touch ID. The update also broke Touch ID fingerprint recognition

Apple notes that the same issue preventing the Health app from functioning will return with the downgrade.

Apple released iOS 8.0.1 earlier today to patch an issue with the HealthKit framework that prompted the removal of app connected to the framework. Less than an hour after the over-the-air update rolled out, it was quickly pulled from distribution servers, as numerous users reported cellular connectivity and Touch ID issues.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 110

And that's what we'd hope for from Apple: quick recognition of the issue, and a quick response.

• Reply 2 of 110
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,088member
    Gheeez Apple. Get your sh** together

Live stream, iPhone 6 pre-orders, 6 structural issues, iOS 8.01
  • Reply 3 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

Yeah. Apple should offer to refund every dime people paid for iOS8 immediately.

What structural issue? Like they told us a long time ago: "don't hold it like that." Yeesh.

• Reply 4 of 110
    red oak wrote: »

Ladies and gentlemen, we have entered the wonderful world of Idiocracy. The comment above is your official welcome.
  • Reply 5 of 110
    iCloud backups won't restore to earlier versions, including iOS 8.0

not true, at least not for me.

last night while setting up a new iPhone 6, I updated to 8.0.1 and lost all cellular network connectivity. this morning, I downloaded the iPhone 6 8.0 firmware, used iTunes/option-Restore to install it over USB (not Check for Update), disconnected the iPhone and then restored the phone from the iCloud backup I executed last night (over wifi).

all working.
  • Reply 6 of 110

And that's what we'd hope for from Apple: quick recognition of the issue, and a quick response.
    Quick recognition and quick response is admirable, but I can still find one fault...

I just checked out their main Support site, and the KB isn't linked anywhere even remotely prominent on that site. In fact, it's not linked ANYWHERE, and one has to actually search for it, as far as I can tell.

They should've created a bulletins page with a prominent link on the main support site to aid those affected by this in finding assistance. This still needs serious improvement IMHO.
  • Reply 7 of 110
    red oak wrote: »

Terrific, another troll, seems they're breeing like rabbits of late...
  • Reply 8 of 110
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:

All extremely minor things in the big picture. They sold 10+million phones in a weekend. A thousand things needed to go right for that to happen. Their shit is pretty fucking together. That "list" is mostly noise, with the exception of 8.01 that, yes, was a bit of a fuckup. But that happens with such complex software, it's not the end of the world. You know, there's actual human beings working at Apple, not perfect Gods?

The livestream is completely irrelevant. Who gives a shit now? The 6 has no "structural issues" beyond being made of earth materials, and following the laws of physics. Attention-whores created a manufactured outrage.  Pre-orders went fine for most. Enough with your dramatic whining/trolling. Every other tech company has bigger fuckups everyday, but the media couldn't care less. 

• Reply 9 of 110
    Quote:

iCloud backups won't restore to earlier versions, including iOS 8.0 

not true, at least in our case.

last night, after setting up a new iPhone 6 for my wife, I updated it to 8.0.1 and subsequently lost all cellular network connectivity. I thought it strange that there was no Settings > Carrier setting and searched hard for a solution. there wasn't one.

this morning upon reading about the 8.0.1 snuffle, I downloaded the 8.0 firmware, and used iTunes/option-Restore (not Check for Update) to restore the iPhone to factory 8.0. I then disconnected the iPhone and restored it from an iCloud backup I'd executed last night from my wife's old iPhone 4.

the new iPhone 6 is now working fine.

• Reply 10 of 110
    Great! Thats all I wanted. Im good now.
  • Reply 11 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    magman1979 wrote: »
    Quick recognition and quick response is admirable, but I can still find one fault...

I just checked out their main Support site, and the KB isn't linked anywhere even remotely prominent on that site. In fact, it's not linked ANYWHERE, and one has to actually search for it, as far as I can tell.

They should've created a bulletins page with a prominent link on the main support site to aid those affected by this in finding assistance. This still needs serious improvement IMHO.

Yep. Especially if the update is days away.
  • Reply 12 of 110
    john.bjohn.b Posts: 2,742member

Twelve hours to release this, and all it contains are the instructions iMore.com posted within the first half hour.  SMH

Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

We must have different working definitions of "quick"... 

AppleCare knew there was a problem with cellular connections from this update within the first 10 minutes and it took over 80 minutes for them to pull the update from Software Update.  And, as I said, 12 hours to post the above tech doc.

• Reply 13 of 110
    Quote:

Live stream: who cares

preorders: only affected fanboys.  Apple's biggest fans.  They forgive.

structural issue: NON issue.  Made up issue for the media, basically.   No issue as long as you use it normally.   Believe me, I have a 6+.

iOS 8.0.1: The only legitimate issue.   Not sure how many were affected by the broken cell service.    Just downgrade and problem fixed.  Yes, wasted time and annoyance for sure.

However, they're great 99.9% of the time.  They can afford to have rare issues. 

• Reply 14 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Twelve hours to release this, and all it contains are the instructions iMore.com posted within the first half hour.  SMH

We must have different working definitions of "quick"... 

AppleCare knew there was a problem with cellular connections from this update within the first 10 minutes and it took over 80 minutes for them to pull the update from Software Update.  And, as I said, 12 hours to post the above tech doc.

Are you kidding? 80 minutes *IS* quick.   You have NO IDEA how these things work.  You seem to think it's just some guy in the basement going, "Oh, i better switch this off".    This is a huge organization and there are bureaucracies and sequence of steps that must be followed.    I'm actually surprised it only took 80 minutes.     

Also, just because some people complained, doesn't mean Apple will immediately pull the update.   Apple has to verify the problem, then make a determination that the problem is big enough for them to actually pull the update.

• Reply 15 of 110
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All extremely minor things in the big picture. They sold 10+million phones in a weekend. A thousand things needed to go right for that to happen. Their shit is pretty fucking together. That "list" is mostly noise, with the exception of 8.01 that, yes, was a bit of a fuckup. But that happens with such complex software, it's not the end of the world. You know, there's actual human beings working at Apple, not perfect Gods?

The livestream is completely irrelevant. Who gives a shit now? The 6 has no "structural issues" beyond being made of earth materials, and following the laws of physics. Attention-whores created a manufactured outrage.  Pre-orders went fine for most. Enough with your dramatic whining/trolling. Every other tech company has bigger fuckups everyday, but the media couldn't care less. 

I agree with you for the most part, but the 6 plus structural weakness in the area below the volume control buttons is an oversight on the part of Apple. It should of been noticed when stress-testing in the engineering stage, especially considering how malleable aluminium can be and how large and thin the 6 plus is. And then structurally enforced in that area before being put into production. A phone shouldn't bend, even ever so slightly by just sitting in your pocket even if it is just an occasional occurrence. But then I'm sure Apple can fix this going forward, by doing some production revisions.

• Reply 16 of 110
    john.b wrote: »

It took them about a week before posting their findings on the 'Maps tracks you and phones home' issue a few years ago. That's what is so great about Apple: they check if all findings are true and can be replicated, investigate where it went wrong, figure out how to fix it, think about how to report on it. I'd rather see that than my beloved company releasing patch upon patch to fix a wrongly created patch...for a product that shouldn't have been released in the first place.
  • Reply 17 of 110
    Quote:

There was no pre-orders problem, just 30 millions people trying to reach the same website at the same time. Not everyone can get in when it's like that.

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMan1979 View Post

Personally I went to Support, iPhone, and found the link on that page...

• Reply 18 of 110
    I'm just glad it was pulled before I download it. I do wish the health app would work. Looks like they kind of rushed it to the market
  • Reply 19 of 110
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Ladies and gentlemen, we have entered the wonderful world of Idiocracy. The comment above is your official welcome.

And having had to hold their tongues in check yesterday because so many regulars were incensed, the Apple image damage control team is back in full swing dumping on anyone who has the temerity to say they are not satisfied with paying a premium price for a less than premium experience.

• Reply 20 of 110
    1. Any phone that large can flex, bend or break.
    2. I replaced a Galaxy S4 due to me keeping them in my pocket. (Glass Cracked)
    3. Since it's Apple, Everyone is going to blow this WAY OUT OF PROPORTION.
    4. Get a case and quit putting it in your pocket or get a smaller phone.

For all the TROLLS. Apple made a mistake but they normally fix the issues as they arise.

You can't say the same thing about the FLAWED fingerprint scanner Samsung uses. Never fixed that did they? Nope