Apple to release iOS 8.0.2 in a 'few days,' offers instructions to downgrade

Comments

• Reply 21 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by 1983 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

All extremely minor things in the big picture. They sold 10+million phones in a weekend. A thousand things needed to go right for that to happen. Their shit is pretty fucking together. That "list" is mostly noise, with the exception of 8.01 that, yes, was a bit of a fuckup. But that happens with such complex software, it's not the end of the world. You know, there's actual human beings working at Apple, not perfect Gods?

The livestream is completely irrelevant. Who gives a shit now? The 6 has no "structural issues" beyond being made of earth materials, and following the laws of physics. Attention-whores created a manufactured outrage.  Pre-orders went fine for most. Enough with your dramatic whining/trolling. Every other tech company has bigger fuckups everyday, but the media couldn't care less. 

I agree with you for the most part, but the 6 plus structural weakness in the area below the volume control buttons is an oversight on the part of Apple. It should of been noticed when stress-testing in the engineering stage, especially considering how malleable aluminium can be and how large and thin the 6 plus is. And then structurally enforced in that area before being put into production. A phone shouldn't bend, even ever so slightly by just sitting in your pocket even if it is just an occasional occurrence. But then I'm sure Apple can fix this going forward, by doing some production revisions.

I hate to say it but Apple will only be able to fix this flaw by a complete redesign or offer a case like Otter Box to protectect them.

• Reply 22 of 110

A maintenance update that bricks the phone is inexcusable and the embarrassment could have been spared had they simply released the update into beta dev channels just one day prior, and it would have been pulled at that point instead of being released to the general public. In any case, it’s a boon for the tech world to be able to spill plenty ink on the problem and this time, rightly bash Apple.

• Reply 23 of 110
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

And that's what we'd hope for from Apple: quick recognition of the issue, and a quick response.

What we'd hope for from Apple is to thoroughly test their update on their newest iPhones, instead of releasing an update that turns them into iPod Touches.

• Reply 24 of 110
    The ?Watch has caused Apple to drop the ball. It's consuming their time and resources at the expense of their most important product.

They should cease all development of it and focus their attention back on the iPhone.
  • Reply 25 of 110
    PS Apple—one more thing:

If you'd made your iPhone 6 and 6 Plus a tiny bit thicker, you could have avoided BendyGate and made the current protruding camera lens that catches on pockets flush, thereby eliminating two design flaws in one go.
  • Reply 26 of 110
    dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
  • Reply 27 of 110

sdsdsdsdsdsds

• Reply 28 of 110

zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

• Reply 29 of 110
    Serious problem from the users' perspective. I wonder how many people were affected?

But, the problem with the 8.0.1 was so obvious that I fail to understand how even the programmers much less the QA/QC staff could have missed it. That should be the story focused on from a technical and management side. And I find it interesting that the bugs affected only the iPhone 6's and not other iPhones, since TouchID and Cellular are common to iPhone 5s also. But, did it affect all iPhone 6's or only some?

So, Apple has at least two general problems: 1) QA/QC, 2) a separate codebase for the cellular and touchID on the iPhone 6's and the iPhone 5s. We also know that Apple has multiple suppliers for A8 and many of their other components. These components may differ between suppliers requiring a different codebase for each.

We developers have the luxury of programming to abstracted hardware with iOS hiding the differences. My guess is the failure is due to component differences within the iPhones, and multiple drivers for each component that do not share common code.
  • Reply 30 of 110
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,089member
    slurpy wrote: »
    All extremely minor things in the big picture. They sold 10+million phones in a weekend. A thousand things needed to go right for that to happen. Their shit is pretty fucking together. That "list" is mostly noise, with the exception of 8.01 that, yes, was a bit of a fuckup. But that happens with such complex software, it's not the end of the world. You know, there's actual human beings working at Apple, not perfect Gods?

The livestream is completely irrelevant. Who gives a shit now? The 6 has no "structural issues" beyond being made of earth materials, and following the laws of physics. Attention-whores created a manufactured outrage.  Pre-orders went fine for most. Enough with your dramatic whining/trolling. Every other tech company has bigger fuckups everyday, but the media couldn't care less. 

+U2 Album

The live stream was an embarrassment.

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company. It has nothing to do with "whining" as some of you have put it
  • Reply 31 of 110
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

PS Apple—one more thing:

If you'd made your iPhone 6 and 6 Plus a tiny bit thicker, you could have avoided BendyGate and made the current protruding camera lens that catches on pockets flush, thereby eliminating two design flaws in one go.

And they could have got a higher capacity battery in there.

• Reply 32 of 110
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by John.B View Post

Twelve hours to release this, and all it contains are the instructions iMore.com posted within the first half hour.  SMH

We must have different working definitions of "quick"... 

AppleCare knew there was a problem with cellular connections from this update within the first 10 minutes and it took over 80 minutes for them to pull the update from Software Update.  And, as I said, 12 hours to post the above tech doc.

Apple has responsibilities to ALL their customers, not just those with issues. Problems are first flamed about on the web, only when a few level-headed customers start sending in feedback directly to Apple, Apple can begin to investigate it. Then hopefully in a timely manner address the issue and release a work-around or even a fix.

Just because a few people called in those first "10" minutes, doesn't mean it was a wide spread problem. Perhaps you should spend some time in a support center. Do you think one support tech hits a big red button and the update is pulled. No, they have to gather enough feedback and build a case by ruling out anything else that could cause the same problems. Only when it is determined that it is in fact the update, they can pull it.

This is how ALL investigations work - in tech or otherwise. As a company with hundreds of millions of customers, you can't just make a knee-jerk reaction, you need the evidence.

• Reply 33 of 110
    What do you do if you can't get to your computer and iTunes?
  • Reply 34 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    The ?Watch has caused Apple to drop the ball. It's consuming their time and resources at the expense of their most important product.

They should cease all development of it and focus their attention back on the iPhone.

If Apple can't focus on iPhone and a new product like the Watch at the same time then they are in serious trouble. Then Steve Jobs didn't do a very good job creating a company that could scale and do more than one thing at a time.
  • Reply 35 of 110
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Oak View Post

+U2 Album

The live stream was an embarrassment.

I have not seen so many Apple missteps in a four week period since TC took over. Each of these things point to a lack of attention to detail in a different part of the company. Put together, that concerns me as a AAPL shareholder and fan of the company. It has nothing to do with "whining" as some of you have put it

You obviously weren't around for the MobileMe release -  Oh yeah, that was on Steve Jobs watch, as was Antennagate, oh and the stock scandal, and..., and..., and...

Stop trying to blame Tim Cook for everything. Apple is a huge corporation.

Furthermore, everything thing they do is amplified a thousand times over the Internet, turning the issue from a molehill into a mountain.

Why don't you count up ALL the details Apple has to concentrate on (that you know of), then put those next to all the details you think they messed up on... get back to use a couple of years,

• Reply 36 of 110
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    cnocbui wrote: »
    And they could have got a higher capacity battery in there.
    And yet I'm hearing so many people rave about the battery life they're getting with the 6 Plus. And even some who say the battery life on the 6 is much better than what they got with the 5/5s. I've seen both phones In person. The camera bulge is hardly noticeable. Pictures make it look much more pronounced than it is. I'd be very curious to know if making the case flush would have given them that much more space and changed the battery options they chose.
  • Reply 37 of 110
    I got the update (8.0.1) on my 5s . Works great , seems to knock out a some bugs. Thankfully it did not mess up my phone .i wonder if I will have to downgrade when 8.0.2 come out or will that be only the new phones. Hopefully a update will come out that will improve battery, this update seems maybe tad bit better. Maybe with 8.0.2...
  • Reply 38 of 110
    Take that back battery life same as 8.0
  • Reply 39 of 110
    haarhaar Posts: 563member
    classy!.
  • Reply 40 of 110
    droidftwdroidftw Posts: 1,009member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by LighteningKid View Post

And that's what we'd hope for from Apple: quick recognition of the issue, and a quick response.

You should really have higher expectations than that.  Personally, I would expect updates that don't break critical functionality like making your phone unable to make phone calls.