Video demonstrates reported iPhone 6 Plus bending issues

Comments

• Reply 501 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

NEWSFLASH: keeping your phone in you front pocket is not intentional abuse. Most guys do it, quite reasonably.

Here's the thing... Unless one has first-hand evidence that ANY iPhone has been bent due to whatever circumstances, I'd take these claims with a grain of salt. It's up to Apple to investigate and determine if these phones were abused beyond their normal coverage, or if there is a fundamental design flaw problem. I trust Apple will investigate the issue thoroughly and anyone who says otherwise risks their credibility. I know for a fact that Apple will do the right thing, even if it costs them short term sales.

• Reply 502 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Here's the thing... Unless one has first-hand evidence that ANY iPhone has been bent due to whatever circumstances, I'd take these claims with a grain of salt. It's up to Apple to investigate and determine if these phones were abused beyond their normal coverage, or if there is a fundamental design flaw problem. I trust Apple will investigate the issue thoroughly and anyone who says otherwise risks their credibility. I know for a fact that Apple will do the right thing, even if it costs them short term sales.

My guess is that there are between 2-3 million iP 6+ phones out there right now.

Start doing the math and you soon find out that even if 5,000 people complained then it is still an infinitesimal small number of problems.

I wouldn't doubt that Apple employees are sitting down right now going over options to strengthen the frame.

[... are we even at 3 people complaining yet?]

[ 3 people complain about a bent phone... 373 news outlets/ tech sites/blogs blow it all out of proportion, predict the downfall of Apple]

• Reply 503 of 543
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I wouldn't doubt that Apple employees are sitting down right now going over options to strengthen the frame.

Open up the 6S Plus and the frame will have thin vertical structural supports across it. Tilting the case downward and looking at it from a low angle reveals that the supports are actually letters, spelling out “morons”.

• Reply 504 of 543
    Who did it worse antennagate or bend gate
  • Reply 505 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Open up the 6S Plus and the frame will have thin vertical structural supports across it. Tilting the case downward and looking at it from a low angle reveals that the supports are actually letters, spelling out “morons”.

The one I saw says, "Quit bending me, stupid."

[ oh... I just noticed the "S"... ]

• Reply 506 of 543
    herbapouherbapou Posts: 2,228member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

You mean 'in France'?

Montreal, province of Quebec, Canada.

• Reply 507 of 543
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Wonderful!

No way am I getting a Plus! Why did Apple make it? 

My next iPhone is now a 6 or a 5s.

I'm with the sorry band of Marvin and T.S. who say that the 5.5" shouldn’t exist.

To all the poor suckers who have ordered or bought a Plus: thank your lucky stars for warranties.

You obvious have no engineering experience (or maybe common sense). I dare say if you take a wooden pencil and apply that forced it will not bend but break. Ever bend in a large building when there is an earthquake -- they sway to and fro and depending on the force applied usually don't incur much damage due to a 5-6 earthquake (assuming it was built to code). Not to be insensitive but the world saw what happens to the World Trade center when all the force came from once side (with a generous amount of heat), or the indonesian tsunami, etc...

You build for a reasonable standard and then hope people don't abuse your design. IMHO putting a phone in your rear pocket with a glass front (and even the 4-5s with back glass is stupid. Would you play baseball or cricket for those across the pond with glass christmass tree ornaments?

Come one and pull your head out -- it is to dark to see your phone up there anyway ¡

• Reply 508 of 543
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by stike vomit View Post

I predict an upsurge in the popularity of cargo pants this fashion season.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Apple has a few fashion people on board.

"Introducing the new ApplePants collection!"

• Reply 509 of 543
    Wonderful!

No way am I getting a Plus! Why did Apple make it? 

My next iPhone is now a 6 or a 5s.

I'm with the sorry band of Marvin and T.S. who say that the 5.5" shouldn’t exist.

To all the poor suckers who have ordered or bought a Plus: thank your lucky stars for warranties.

Are warranties covering physical damage, though?
  • Reply 510 of 543
    rogifan wrote: »
    I'm not sure how anyone could comfortably put a 6 Plus in front jeans pockets. Cargo pants or maybe dress slacks with deep pockets is another story but if you have it in your front pocket and aren't sitting down I don't see how the phone dould bend. And I don't see how anyone could comfortably sit with this phone in their front pocket.

While I agree with you, the question here is - how often will people forget to remove phone from their pocket before they sit. I'm having much smaller phone (4.5") which I remove from pocket nevertheless as it can be uncomfortable sitting with it in front pocket even with regular cut trousers, but every now and then I forget - because I'm talking to someone or my mind is elsewhere. My phone is made of plastic and I would expect that on occasion it will flex a bit... but deformation is not permanent. With iP6+, it is a bit scary idea that single mistake - and nowhere as severe as mistake of dropping phone - might damage device permanently. One of those "No pressure" situations, I guess.
  • Reply 511 of 543
    disturbia wrote: »
    News Flash ....

South Korean newspapers just announced Samsung has purchased a few iPhone 6 and 6+ for their next anti-Apple Ad called .... Apple Fan Boys: how do you enjoy your bendable iPhones!
    :smokey:  

P.S. On another note, there's a reason for that Health App ... Eat Less! (No Offence!)

P.S.S. Treat your iPhone same like your baby ... or your GF!

P.S.S.S. You bend it WRONG!

Most GFs can bend without permanent damage... ;)
  • Reply 512 of 543
    My guess is that there are between 2-3 million iP 6+ phones out there right now.

Start doing the math and you soon find out that even if 5,000 people complained then it is still an infinitesimal small number of problems.

[... are we even at 3 people complaining yet?]

[ 3 people complain about a bent phone... 373 news outlets/ tech sites/blogs blow it all out of proportion, predict the downfall of Apple]

Sure there are not that many people complaining, but phone is out for how long? In time, people get over novelty of their new purchase and usually pay less attention; I know I do that with everything electronic - phone, camera, computer.

Only time will tell how serious this is. Or isn't.
  • Reply 513 of 543

You obvious have no engineering experience (or maybe common sense). I dare say if you take a wooden pencil and apply that forced it will not bend but break. Ever bend in a large building when there is an earthquake -- they sway to and fro and depending on the force applied usually don't incur much damage due to a 5-6 earthquake (assuming it was built to code). Not to be insensitive but the world saw what happens to the World Trade center when all the force came from once side (with a generous amount of heat), or the indonesian tsunami, etc...

You build for a reasonable standard and then hope people don't abuse your design. IMHO putting a phone in your rear pocket with a glass front (and even the 4-5s with back glass is stupid. Would you play baseball or cricket for those across the pond with glass christmass tree ornaments?

Come one and pull your head out -- it is to dark to see your phone up there anyway ¡

Well duh. Of course anything will bend - eventually. But devil is in the details. Knowing that something that was (and still is) considered common and acceptable practice - as it is keeping phone in front pocket - can permanently damage phone in single go is a bit frightening.

I don't see much value in your examples, sorry. Wooden pencil is, what? Less than $1? And buildings sway but return to original form after the quake - unless they are flattened. I'd expect plastic phones bend in pockets too, but flexibility of material allow them to bounce pack to their original form once the pressure is released, unless pressure was over the threshold of permanent damage . iPhone remains bent, even if pressure is not enough to actually kill the phone (break screen or damage pcb).

Did anyone consider that these round edges might also be responsible to some degree? I'm pretty sure flat sides of iPhone 5/5s would be more resilient to this bending vector, even with iPhone 6+ size..?
  • Reply 514 of 543
    pablue wrote: »
    I am an Apple fan, but I find this to be troubling.

I am also puzzled that they would use an aluminum alloy that can be this easily bent. There are alloys available that would take much more bending force than is being exerted in this video, and more than you would experience by keeping the phone in a front or back pocket.
    These alloys can be spec'ed to be more rigid than what is shown, and also can be spec'ed to spring back completely after being bent by as much as shown.

Did Apple's engineers not anticipate this bending force in normal use? Did they spec the wrong alloy, or was an alloy used that was not up to Apple engineering specifications or type? I think we'll be hearing more about this, unfortunately.

It is not the allow. It is lack of it. It bends around holes, both buttons and sim card. There is just not enough material there to offer enough rigidity.
  • Reply 515 of 543
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by nikon133 View Post

There is just not enough material there to offer enough rigidity.

Yeah, TS hears that a lot from his girlfriend also.

• Reply 516 of 543
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    How not shocking. On the 6+ he applies pressure at the button site. On the other phones he applies pressure near the center of the phone. When the glue pops and the glass separates on the plastic phones he stops applying pressure and declares the phones good anyway even though he said that he saw the glass separate. Nope. Nothing biased there!
  • Reply 517 of 543

Is bigger really better? SquareTrade put the new iPhone 6 and 6 Plus to the test to find out.

You know,i can do all experiment with my Iphone 6 ,because i got  iphone 6 at no cost from my wallet from below link i found in youtube video description  as Apple giving away iphone 6 to only residents of USA but valid email submission required:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1-j36eY1Ik

• Reply 518 of 543
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DaveN View Post

How not shocking. On the 6+ he applies pressure at the button site. On the other phones he applies pressure near the center of the phone. When the glue pops and the glass separates on the plastic phones he stops applying pressure and declares the phones good anyway even though he said that he saw the glass separate. Nope. Nothing biased there!

Interesting though...the glass did not break and the iPhone still works (I assume).  What happens to a Samsung if bent like that?  Will glass be intact and will it still operate?  Interesting test to be done in a controlled environment.  Obviously as you note, the test was biased.

• Reply 519 of 543
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    icoco3 wrote: »
    Interesting though...the glass did not break and the iPhone still works (I assume).  What happens to a Samsung if bent like that?  Will glass be intact and will it still operate?  Interesting test to be done in a controlled environment.  Obviously as you note, the test was biased.
    Yes, apparently a Note3 subjected to the same unscientific test emerges unscathed and operable.
  • Reply 520 of 543
    This crap found my morning news. It's actually pretty slimy that it's making rounds in news sites, including this one. I would like to see people subjecting a range of phones to this kind of deliberate abuse. I wager many would shatter.

That said, I'm sure the iPhone 6 won't be as durable as the 5. Rounded edges, a larger footprint—don't sit on it.