Google's Schmidt says Samsung had iPhone 6-like product last year, calls Apple competition 'brutal'

Comments

• Reply 101 of 158
    Why on earth would you need 64 bits to address 1GB of RAM on a phone with only limited multitasking?

Another troll to add to the block list. I hope Appleinsider uses 64bit addressing to keep track of users block lists as mine seems to be getting out of control.

I'll say this as nicely as possible before leaving you: anyone who thinks you need more memory to take advantage of 64bit is an idiot. Or a troll.
  • Reply 102 of 158
    maccherry wrote: »
    Google gives away it's sh** for free to gain rapid market share. But that's on the software side. Let them try that on the hardware side.

Hahaha there's already a name for that -- it's AMAZON ????
  • Reply 103 of 158
    Thief-in-Chief
  • Reply 104 of 158
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

I'll own not being up on the 64-bit ARM instruction set advantages (thx for the 30k-foot overview). This doesn't sound like a 64-bit argument as much as it's an argument for the latest ARM architecture, and 64-bit processing is thrown in.

ARM has chosen to make most of the new hardware instructions of ARMv8 available only to 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps run essentially in an ARMv7 compatibility mode, sort of like  if Intel's Core 2 Duo CPUs (Intel's first mainstream x86-64 design) were to execute x86 apps in a "Pentium 4" subsystem, or if Intel were to make its AES-NI instructions only available to programs compiled for x86-64. 32-bit and 64-bit apps do not enjoy an equal footing on ARMv8 like they essentially do on x86 CPUs.

Edit: grammar

• Reply 105 of 158
    Schimdt is a f'in Thief... we all know he STOLE THE WHOLE IDEA FROM MY IDOL STEVE JOBS (R.I.P) if it wasn't for Steve everyone would still be playing with blackberries and razors. Including me. Thanks Steve always an apple guru. ?? Android is nothing more than a knock off of the iPhone. Oh man I can go on.
  • Reply 106 of 158
    I am divesting myself of any google products or software. Gave away my Samsung TV, bought a Seiki, use Yahoo as search engine in Safari, no gmail, no google maps. It doesn't pay to support assholes.
  • Reply 107 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by d4NjvRzf View Post

ARM has chosen to make most of the new hardware instructions of ARMv8 available only to 64-bit apps. 32-bit apps run essentially in an ARMv7 compatibility mode, sort of like like if Intel's Core 2 Duo CPUs (Intel's first mainstream x86-64 design) were execute x86 apps in a "Pentium 4" subsystem, or if Intel were to make its AES-NI instructions only available to programs compiled for x86-64. 32-bit and 64-bit apps do not enjoy an equal footing on ARMv8 like they essentially do on x86 CPUs.

Interesting. iOS developers (at least the popular ones) seem like they're pretty responsive to platform advances, and this is a little nudge from ARM to keep moving.

• Reply 108 of 158
    Hmmm that's why apple is the MOST VALUABLE COMPANY IN THE WORLD. Try selling an android phone.. Oh wait there already too cheap. Lol
  • Reply 109 of 158
    Where Schmidt is wrong is when he says, " or you can make the same amount of money with a much larger marketshare with lesser profits." Apple's share of market profits are conservatively estimated at 85% of the high end device segment and 65% of the entire profit pool regardless of what segment you are talking about. Apple's profits exceed those of all other mobile device makers combined. This has been true for more than the last 12 quarters and is not expected to change significantly in the foreseeable future. The only entity making any real money from Android is Google.
  • Reply 110 of 158
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    ... There's only one tech company that's followed around like a religion, and that's Apple. Apple cannot afford too many big mistakes, so they do less, and they do it with greater product success consistency.

Hey it's the "religion" troll talking point.
  • Reply 111 of 158
    Not to mention a global womanizer (OK, whatever, he's a grown man) and likes to spend time currying favor with sworn enemies of the United States (such as North Korea). That's the antithesis of "don't be evil."
  • Reply 112 of 158
    It seemed odd how he talked about Samsung so much. Yes, they had larger phones and Apple followed that lead but there are a lot of other phone makers and it's funny to mention just one provider since others have phones that have the same or more functionality as Apple phones.

You can't argue with the fact that Android is winning the market share game but Apple currently is winning the profit game. Both strategies seem to be working at the moment.

I do agree with him that the innovation and competition of both companies is great for consumers.
  • Reply 113 of 158
    adonissmu wrote: »
    i honestly dont know why Samsung uses a touch wiz over their phones. Theyd be far better off with stock Android.

A plain skin with a few proprietary features wouldn't have been too bad, but they also included many apps that are duplicates of stock apps which makes Touchwiz a bloated memory hog.
  • Reply 114 of 158

Problem is, Apple wouldn't answer that question either. Both companies keep secrets about their future innovations and products.

• Reply 115 of 158

Is that true? How do they stay in business? I thought I read something a few weeks ago about HTC reporting a profit. I don't even know all the makers of Android phones are. I know of Samsung and HTC. Motorola maybe? Who else is there? 

• Reply 116 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TexDeafy View Post

Will someone in California or anywhere where Eric is at, please bust him in his shitty face? He don't know what the fucking he is talking about. Samsung didn't even have a fucking 64bit like iPhone 5S and iPhone 6 have right now. Just please kick him in his tiny bitty balls! ARRGGHH!!!

Why on earth would you need 64 bits to address 1GB of RAM on a phone with only limited multitasking?

So that you can say you have 64 bits and impress your friends. You don't "need" it. But when you have it you can pretend its important ... or something

• Reply 117 of 158

To me the high end is in hardware and Apple has the best products here. Google mainly builds the software that goes on teh device and it's up to the manufacturers to build the hardware. I've seen a couple cool Android phones but really non that have the total package like Apple. But there are other high end devices. The Galaxy line and HTC come to mind.

• Reply 118 of 158
    Another troll to add to the block list. I hope Appleinsider uses 64bit addressing to keep track of users block lists as mine seems to be getting out of control.

I'll say this as nicely as possible before leaving you: anyone who thinks you need more memory to take advantage of 64bit is an idiot. Or a troll.

Why not just answer the question? Your constant accusations of posters being trolls makes you a reverse troll which is just as bad.
  • Reply 119 of 158
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Hey it's the "religion" troll talking point.

Did I say it was a bad thing?

• Reply 120 of 158

Originally Posted by markbyrn View Post

The reason Android has succeeded has been really thanks to Apple and despite the executive corporate buffoonery of people like Schmidt. Apple's lack of hardware choices, lack of software customization, and embarrassing gaffes going back to antenna gate to the latest embarrassment of easily bent phones and firmware updates bricking the phones are a boon for the competition, mainly Android.

That’s a pretty funny joke. Good thing you don’t actually believe this, otherwise…

Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

Originally Posted by Taniwha View Post

So that you can say you have 64 bits and impress your friends. You don't "need" it. But when you have it you can pretend its important ... or something

Yes, you two; we already know you know absolutely nothing whatsoever about the products you discuss. Mind doing us a favor and actually leaving forever?