In-depth review: Apple's 5.5-inch iPhone 6 Plus running iOS 8

Comments

• Reply 21 of 83

To the AppleInsider staff writers.  This seems like a fair and well worded review of the iPhone 6+.  Thank you for that.  I had already decided to purchase the 6+ as soon as I am able to do so.  As someone with poor eyesight, I am very interested in the size of this display and it's clarity.

I do not think that the 6+ displaces the iPad at all, in fact I am looking to also upgrade my iPad (3rd Generation) once we see what Apple is coming out with in that product line.

I do have one request.  You did a review of some cases already, but I was wondering if you could do a review of some holsters specifically?  At least in business situations the use of holsters to carry ones mobile device is pretty common and I would love to see some reviews of some of the holsters on the market or coming to market soon.  I am currently looking at one from Seidio but I have never used any of their products so I am leery.

• Reply 22 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by RORWessels View Post

Two days of battery life with LTE, faster WiFi by an drastically large margin, more storage, and a much larger display.  To say nothing of the incredible difference in processor and video performance.  Yeah, it is real innovation.

real innovation it would be, if Apple would be able to produce such phone with 1WEEK POWER, that would be real innovation. I understand that IP6 or IP6+ is bigger, faster with more performance, but honestly, 1-2DAY is minimum requested for such phone, nothing what should impress you.

• Reply 23 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pmz View Post

Regarding 802.11ac on the iPhone....

My iPhone 5s has no problem getting 115 Mbps download speeds on 802.11n with the newest Airport Extreme.

It could probably do more, but 115 Mbps is what I pay for.

I don't think your tests are a good example of anything.

While I suspect we are being trolled here, you do realize that the max throughput for 802.11ac is something close to 500Mbps?  The issue then becomes not the Wi-Fi but your connection to the Internet that will determine your results on most speedtest apps and web sites as they measure the upload and download speed to specific test sites on the Internet and not the local infrastructure.

For most, I suspect 802.11ac support will not seem like a big deal, unless and until you are transferring files and data between systems on the same LAN/WLAN.  Then it will make a great deal of difference.  It should also make AirDrop and AirPlay that much faster and more stable as well since both of these are LAN/WLAN use case scenarios.

• Reply 24 of 83
    Quote:

Originally Posted by total View Post

real innovation it would be, if Apple would be able to produce such phone with 1WEEK POWER, that would be real innovation. I understand that IP6 or IP6+ is bigger, faster with more performance, but honestly, 1-2DAY is minimum requested for such phone, nothing what should impress you.

I have an iPhone 5s, a Samsung Galaxy S4, and a Nokia Lumia 1520.  The 1520 has the best battery life of them all and that is because of it size.  Having said that, all three devices require me to charge them during the day as I have three push mail accounts on them and I use the display at 100 percent screen brightness.  Never liked a dim screen.  Given all the other factors I mentioned, if I can get a whole day out of this device under those conditions, I will be a very happy consumer.  I am sure Apple could put a large enough battery in the phone to achieve the one week you mentioned.  Unfortunately it would be so think and heavy that no one would want to carry it.  Remember the Compaq iPaq?  I still can't believe I used to carry one of those around.  Unfortunately, Apple is limited to the current battery tech.  Is it where it needs to be or has it kept pace with our power hungry devices and technologies?  No, it has not.  It's unfortunate, but we are still limited by our understanding of physics and material sciences.  There may be some breakthroughs in the pipeline but none right now that would make a significant difference or that might be justifiable when looking at a cost / benefit analysis.

• Reply 25 of 83
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Can't wait to get a 6 Plus S and the Bendgahzi issue is fixed. Until then I'm smoking on a non bendable 5S.

Remember
    IPhone 5 - crappy black finish prone to chips nicks and dings
    IPhone 5S- color discontinued and replaced by space grey

iPhone 4- antennagate
    Iphone 4S- antenna repositioned/ fixed

Love the "S" cycle.
  • Reply 26 of 83

This is a good review. Thanks guys, good write up.  I enjoyed reading it.

• Reply 27 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

While I suspect we are being trolled here, you do realize that the max throughput for 802.11ac is something close to 500Mbps?  The issue then becomes not the Wi-Fi but your connection to the Internet that will determine your results on most speedtest apps and web sites as they measure the upload and download speed to specific test sites on the Internet and not the local infrastructure.

For most, I suspect 802.11ac support will not seem like a big deal, unless and until you are transferring files and data between systems on the same LAN/WLAN.  Then it will make a great deal of difference.  It should also make AirDrop and AirPlay that much faster and more stable as well since both of these are LAN/WLAN use case scenarios.

Trolled? I take offense to that. I'm making a valid point.

Did you not read the article? Their alleged speed tests show around 30 Mbps on N, and 90 Mbps on AC. That makes absolutely NO sense whatsoever. The same router should easily be able to distribute up to 300 Mbps to an iPhone 5s over 802.11n, topping out at whatever their actual bandwidth is from their ISP.

Yes, LOCAL transfers will always benefit from AC router + devices. But as far as internet goes, you need a service plan that actually matches the capabilities of 802.11ac to benefit from it that way.

Again, returning to their "tests"....none of it makes any sense at all.

• Reply 28 of 83
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    sog35 wrote: »
    IMO that is the true future of phones. A phone with a 6+ inch screen that can bend in half and be pocketable.
    In the meantime were back to the era of carrying the Motorola Flip-Phone brick around again. The technology exists to do this now. Apple chose to copy Samsung instead.
  • Reply 29 of 83
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

iPhone 6+ out scores the iPhone 6......

So, uh… do you know where we are?

paging Tallest Ski...

Learn how to spell.

• Reply 30 of 83
    But if you use the S cycle you will always be out of style.

Kinda sucks buying a 'brand new phone' that looks EXACTLY the same as phones that came out 1 year ago.
    And then when your S-phone is 1 year old it looks big time out dated because of the new models.

I know.  I own the 5S.  That's why I'm getting the 6-Plus.
    I like to get the cutting edge not something that looks outdated the day you buy it.

I'm not out of style- I have iOS8 on it and a new cover.
    But you can be my Guinea pig too and yield me a better 6+S next year with a sturdier casing and whatever else comes up until then.
  • Reply 31 of 83

Great review to whomever the author is!

I really like what they did with the landscape homescreen.  Mentioning the conditions for the battery life test is nice.  To me the two biggest surprises to going to a phablet were that 'battery life' was no longer something that warranted a discussion, and that you can actually read a book on the thing.  On my prior smaller screen phones I *could* read a book, but never actually did because always pinching, moving, zooming wasn't worth it.  On a phablet a page fits nicely, and I stopped carting my iPad along on flights.

Had they had a bigger iPhone I would have bought one for my parents for their eyes but instead had to go with another brand.  The plus opens up a whole new demographic (and a wealthy one) for Apple.

• Reply 32 of 83

To put that into perspective, when compared against the iPad mini with Retina display, the iPhone 6 Plus clocks in with about two thirds the pixel count despite being considerably smaller. Some pundits have likened the size to what they call a "mini mini iPad," and in reality the device does handle like a shrunken down tablet.

Hmm...

I always wanted an iPad mini LTE with cellular phone capability. I wonder if it is possible to transplant the iPhone 6+ logic board and Touch ID into the Retina iPad mini LTE, and power the iPad Retina Display.

If it is possible, I would also have to find a way to transplant the camera's as well.

...in reality the device does handle like a shrunken down tablet.

On second thought, could this be a preview of an LTE iPad Mini Retina with cellular phone capability?

Or Apple actually placing the iPhone 6+ logic board and Touch ID in the iPad.

• Reply 33 of 83

Mine comes tomorrow.

The 'bend' issue is a non-issue, except to Samesung paid trolls polluting Twitter.

Seriously. So many fake Twitter accounts happily reposting their ads and the BS youtube video.

• Reply 34 of 83
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

But if you use the S cycle you will always be out of style.

Kinda sucks buying a 'brand new phone' that looks EXACTLY the same as phones that came out 1 year ago.

And then when your S-phone is 1 year old it looks big time out dated because of the new models.

I know.  I own the 5S.  That's why I'm getting the 6-Plus.

I like to get the cutting edge not something that looks outdated the day you buy it.

Out of style.

Excuse me while I LMFAO at your narcissism.

• Reply 35 of 83
    iPhone 6+ out scores the iPhone 6......

some dudes here won't be very happy with this result.....

paging Tallest Ski...
    paging Tallest Ski...

TWO DAYS of POWER!
    Best CAMERA in the industry!
    BEST SCREEN in the industry!
    FASTEST CPU in the industry!

wow.wow.wow.  Cant wait till mine comes in 3 weeks

What were you expecting? A phone with a larger display and more internal space to have worse specs for a higher price? Do you think that scoring better on some stats means it's a better option for all buyers?

But your phone will die halfway through the day while mine will be going strong in day 2.

No.
    Plus my 1080 movies will look awesome because there will be ZERO scaling.

No.
    Who cares about paying $99 more on a phone that cost $850?  Like they say you need to PAY to PLAY.  With all the profits my Apple shares gave me this year I will willingly plunk down $850 for my top of the line iPhone 6+ 64GB.  I would get the 128 but I don't have a big music collection or video collection. 

Again, your assumption of the issue being cost is not valid. The problem for most is that it's too large. This why even among the Android-based devices the 4.5 and larger devices account for only a very smaller percentage of all Android-based smartphones despite the OEM's push toward these larger devices as their flagship models.

IMO that is the true future of phones.

A phone with a 6+ inch screen that can bend in half and be pocketable.

No.
  • Reply 36 of 83
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by total View Post

So why my 4 year old Iphone 4 has THREE DAYS of POWER? Thats is "really innovation" over 4 years :)

Sorry, I don't believe you:  I HAVE a 4-year-old iPhone 4, and it wouldn't hold a charge for three days if you turned it OFF

• Reply 37 of 83
    Why doesn't Apple add a row of numbers above the letters on the keyboard. I hate having to change the keyboard in order to type numbers.
  • Reply 38 of 83
    Go download a custom keyboard.  iOS8 allows that
    http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/install-custom-keyboards-ios-8/

I was going to say 99% of people don't want that feature.....but i want that feature too.

Because the other keyboards get access to you entire hard drive- duh?. Obviously your perceived style obsession has obliterated your logic board.
    Also I hate to break it to you but phat phones have been in style hit over 2 years now. No one will notice your "style" once you encase it to keep it from bending anyways. Be my guinea pig.
    I just luv the "S" cycle.
  • Reply 39 of 83
    andysolandysol Posts: 2,506member
    Quote:

I applaud your decision to have a budget and stick to it.  But, please don't demean someone else's choice either.

He was simply defending his decision from sog35- who is a known troll, who I and others wish would leave this forum.  If anyone is demeaning anyone's decision, it is Sog.

Seriously mods- can you not see the annoyance from this guy?  He has posted- 15 times out of the 52 posts in this thread.  When is enough, enough?

• Reply 40 of 83
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    [QUOTE="AI"]If anything, the 6 Plus may serve as a convenient alternative for some to avoid carrying both a phone and an iPad[/QUOTE]
    You mean for those who use Apple products already?

For those who were perfectly fine carrying around an LTE enabled iPad mini, why doesn't Apple just turn on the phone functions and let people use the mini as a phone? The reality is anyone who needs a tablet for work is going to prefer something bigger than the 6Plus., and will still have a phone and a tablet. This is what is probably driving Apple's marketing strategy, and preventing them from enabling the iPads as phones. And for those who really do want to COMPROMISE, which is exactly what Apple has done with the 6 Plus, they have had a much better option from Samsung for a few years already. I've seen my friends Galaxy, and for how he uses it for work, I really prefer it over the iPhone, especially with the built in stylus, and I'm sure the same is true for the 6 plus -- particularly considering the price difference.