Steve Ballmer's loyalty to Microsoft will force LA Clippers to ditch Apple iPads

Comments

• Reply 21 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    I heard he's renaming the team to the Los Angeles Clippy of Microsoft.
  • Reply 22 of 86
    He can rule out Apple devices use by the team in coaching, logistics and operations but can't ask players to not use their devices. That will be against their rights. I will just wait for the first player to be fired and he counters back with an uber sue. Like a few above said; Ballmer is an azzOL.
  • Reply 23 of 86
    If the MS Surface was doing well and was truly a "no compromise" device the such statements wouldn't be necessary. Has Tim Cook ever issued a memo telling employees they can't use Android, Samsung or Google products?
  • Reply 24 of 86
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by plokoonpma View Post

He can rule out Apple devices use by the team in coaching, logistics and operations but can't ask players to not use their devices. That will be against their rights. I will just wait for the first player to be fired and he counters back with an uber sue. Like a few above said; Ballmer is an azzOL.

They can be told what shoes to wear on the court: off would run into trouble I agree.

So what devices they use court side or "in the building" while wearing that mandated clothing? I expect so.

• Reply 25 of 86
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

If the MS Surface was doing well and was truly a "no compromise" device the such statements wouldn't be necessary. Has Tim Cook ever issued a memo telling employees they can't use Android, Samsung or Google products?

But remember this is sports: they routinely tell people what brand of clothing and shoes to wear. I think the key would be the added condition: "on the job".

• Reply 26 of 86
    Lmao...

Not sure what is funny, ballman or the comments ont his thread...
  • Reply 27 of 86

The fact that Ballmer needs to force them to use the Surface/WinPhone instead of iPad/iPhone only strengthens the message that Apple's products are superior in the eyes of users.

What do you need to get people to use Surface over iPad? About $2 billion :-)

• Reply 28 of 86
    Denial... Is a multiphased process.
  • Reply 29 of 86
    Ballmer takes stupid pills by the handfull.
  • Reply 30 of 86

If they signed a contract where they resign their right to use devices, clothes, etc to protect brand endorsement to the team... they can say bye bye to the iPhones, Beats, iPads, etc.

But if not..  Ballmer is screwed!

What will be next? fans can no longer enter the stadium if they have one of those devices?

Its exaggerated but is Ballmer who we are taking about...  lol

• Reply 31 of 86
    I guess he really believes in Microsoft.  In his mind he probably thinks the Apple's success was a fluke.

Yes, which continues to confirm... That he continues... To be out-of-touch.
  • Reply 32 of 86
    Wow, this is almost as outrageous as coffee-cup-gate.

Almost.
  • Reply 33 of 86
    Can we consider it as a violation of basic human rights?
  • Reply 34 of 86
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

I heard he's renaming the team to the Los Angeles Clippy of Microsoft.

Nah, they’ll keep the Clippers name, but every year append a new number.

Clippers 2015 Ultimate for the main team and Clippers 2015 Home Premium for the backups.

• Reply 35 of 86

If the devices were provided by Clipper management to the players free-of-charge, then I guess they would have that right. If, not however, it would appear his chosen path is that of a typical, bad manager who leads by bullying, rather than by teaching, leading & inspiring. If the guys were  totally immersed in the Apple/IOS ecosystem purchased apps, synced to all devices, it doesn't appear right to MAKE them change. A better approach would be a letter to the team saying, 'he prefers Microsoft products & here is the reason why,' then list all of the selling points, but then tell them he respects them & will allow them their own decisions. John Wooden was a tough coach & didn't allow a lot of crap into his team experience, but cared about & looked out for the best long-term well-being of the team & the character of the individual team members. Maybe that's what Ballmer believes he is attempting to do. 

• Reply 36 of 86

Cue all Clippers players going to half court before Game 1 and taking off their warm-ups as a show of unity over their desire to use Apple's superior products. 

Ballmer... Once a clown, always a clown. 

• Reply 37 of 86
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Nah, they’ll keep the Clippers name, but every year append a new number.

Clippers 2015 Ultimate for the main team and Clippers 2015 Home Premium for the backups.

Brilliant. I bet they will have six versions of their jerseys: Home, Home premium (when the good teams come), Road, Road premium (when they go to good teams), home premium ultimate (home playoffs), road premium ultimate (away playoff games).
  • Reply 38 of 86
    Ballmer isn't trying to be loyal to his old company; he's trying to say that HIS ideas were the right ideas all the time, it's just everybody else that is wrong. Despite his ideas being so unattractive nobody wanted to buy the product based on them, and despite the fact he lost his job over it, he is still trying to say he's the only one who is right, and is now using his own money to prove it.

How do you make a small fortune? Start with a big one and do what Ballmer says. ;-) Now he's going to practise what he preaches. A fool and his money are soon parted...
  • Reply 39 of 86
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by PaulMJohnson View Post

That's funny.

This really speaks to the type of man Balmer is.  It doesn't occur to him to make a better product that people would prefer to use, just force people to obey your commands.

A chap who works for me used to work for a company that was acquired by Microsoft and at a team meeting Balmer asked them what Operating Systems they all used.  This guy was the only one in the room who said he used Linux (he's a software engineer, they all use either Linux or Mac for coding) and Balmer was furious.

I remember back when Microsoft's own compilers were built with Watcom because their compiler optimizations were much better. If you wanted your code to run fast, you used Watcom. Then, when they bought Source Safe, the NT team refused to use it because it wouldn't handle their project. The rolled their own revision control.

• Reply 40 of 86
    And rounding out the news for the day.

The evil empire strikes back.

Well at least they found a buyer for their Surface tablets and Windows phones.