Comments

• Reply 181 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Someone needs sued.

It's the American way.

• Reply 182 of 196
    mazda 3s wrote: »
    Looks likes he's preparing to rip a nasty one in the first pic.

http://m.wsj.com/articles/apple-defends-against-complaints-of-bending-iphones-1411668618?mobile=y
  • Reply 183 of 196
    Originally Posted by waterrockets View Post

It's the American way.

Stop being everything that you are.

• Reply 184 of 196
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,212member
    In perhaps an unrelated but timely advertising Apple has posted a new help wanted listing. . .

They need a structural materials engineer.

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search#&t=1&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=34103377
  • Reply 185 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

And half of them were the guys who were making the YouTube videos!

(for the lawyer types:  no, I don't have data, I am just making a funny guess)

I'm sure that at least 4 of the complainants were dumbasses who were trying to replicate the conditions in the video.

• Reply 186 of 196
    normmnormm Posts: 653member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Get a clue. You are so determined to defend Apple and are willing to blindly dismiss a real issue you make your opinion worthless. This is simple math and science. When you make a phone as thin as possible, make it out of a material that will bend, give it a large flat surface area you are doomed to have issues. 

I doubt you have even put your hands on one of these phones. Get an iPhone 6 Plus, make a youtube video to dismiss the claims if they upset you that much. If not take your own advice and shut up and go away. 

There were also people who claimed their iPhone 5's bent in their pockets.  Very few did.  Engineering is a matter of tradeoffs.  Nothing is unbendable or unbreakable.  Apple made the 6 plus light and thin, and they'll probably make at least 100 million of them.  They wouldn't do that if their testing didn't indicate bending wasn't going to be an issue.  They feel very solid in the store, and I'm looking forward to the two I've ordered for me and my wife arriving.

• Reply 187 of 196
    One thing I didn't mention before when responding to the BBC article that Relic linked to: the images that the reported posted he kindly requested from a poster on MacRumors. This person said his iPhone bend after bumping into someone. It was so weird people were asking if the both of them were made of steel. Anyway, read that thread if interested.

On a different note, there was a flexible phone from LG since last April. Don't know if anyone already posted this. Had a funky tagline: *The flexibility of this product is limited. This phone may be bent flat up to 180 degrees for a limited period of time only. Do not bend inward or twist.

http://www.lg.com/us/mobile-phones/gflex

I wanted to paste a picture in but their site is so godawful I simply wow, this predictive typing on ios8 certainly is completely useless!

Anyway, sourced from: http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2014/04/lg-g-flex-curved-smart-phone-bends-but-does-not-break-in-consumer-reports-test/index.htm
  • Reply 188 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by NormM View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by AtlApple View Post

Get a clue. You are so determined to defend Apple and are willing to blindly dismiss a real issue you make your opinion worthless. This is simple math and science. When you make a phone as thin as possible, make it out of a material that will bend, give it a large flat surface area you are doomed to have issues. 

I doubt you have even put your hands on one of these phones. Get an iPhone 6 Plus, make a youtube video to dismiss the claims if they upset you that much. If not take your own advice and shut up and go away. 

There were also people who claimed their iPhone 5's bent in their pockets.  Very few did.  Engineering is a matter of tradeoffs.  Nothing is unbendable or unbreakable.  Apple made the 6 plus light and thin, and they'll probably make at least 100 million of them.  They wouldn't do that if their testing didn't indicate bending wasn't going to be an issue.  They feel very solid in the store, and I'm looking forward to the two I've ordered for me and my wife arriving.

Bear in mind that you may struggle to sell them if the 6 Plus gets a reputation for bending, especially over two years.

• Reply 189 of 196
    gatorguy wrote: »
    In perhaps an unrelated but timely advertising Apple has posted a new help wanted listing. . .

https://jobs.apple.com/us/search#&t=1&sb=req_open_dt&so=1&lo=0*USA&pN=0&openJobId=34103377

1) you find the craziest things. I love you Mann

2) your link gave me nothing but a headache on my iPad, but I found the job description with the jobid that was in your link:

Product Design Engineer - FEA

Job Number: 34103377Santa Clara Valley, California, United StatesPosted: Sep. 25, 2014Weekly Hours: 40.00
    Job Summary

Product Design Engineer - iPod / iPhone - FEA Help Apple create a world-class structural modeling and characterization team. As a member of the Product Design Structural Analysis team, you will be responsible for FEA modeling and material characterization for new iPods and iPhones. You will be fully integrated with the Product Design team from the earliest stages, analyzing and informing the mechanical design of cutting-edge products. You will also work with cross-functional teams within Apple and with outside vendors to characterize the strength of raw materials and components.

Key Qualifications

Required Experience:
    * BSME, Materials Science or similar required, MS/PhD Preferred
    * Strong knowledge of Solid Mechanics and Strength of Materials
    * 3+ years experience in static and dynamic structural FEA analysis (preferably consumer electronic products)
    * Material testing and characterization (4-point bend, tensile testing, etc)
    * Strain-gauge instrumentation and data collection
    * Must have ability to deal with an incredibly fast paced environment
    * Must have outstanding verbal and visual communication skills
    * Must have a passion for creating innovative, high quality products
    Preferred Experience:
    * Handheld/portable device experience
    * Failure analysis, metallography or fractography
    * Experience with Abaqus or Ansys
    Description

Help Apple create a world-class structural modeling and characterization team. As a member of the Product Design Structural Analysis team, you will be responsible for FEA modeling and material characterization for new iPods and iPhones. You will be fully integrated with the Product Design team from the earliest stages, analyzing and informing the mechanical design of cutting-edge products. You will also work with cross-functional teams within Apple and with outside vendors to characterize the strength of raw materials and components.
  • Reply 190 of 196
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    relic wrote: »
    I'm sure that number will jump up significantly

What makes you sure about it? People are going to be even more careful with their phones now.
    relic wrote: »
    just no where near what the anti-Apple crowd wants to hear.

You have my commiserations. Not!
    gatorguy wrote:

There must be thousands of experts that have posted in just the last couple of days. Maybe that scientist in the original video can apply.
  • Reply 191 of 196
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

What makes you sure about it? People are going to be even more careful with their phones now.

9 just seems like a very low number, I'm sure it will be about 20 when all is said and done. ;)

• Reply 192 of 196
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by kent909 View Post

Quote:

It's not huge, it's a very mild warp that could be from a buttcheek or leg but it bends around the structural weak point. That kind of bend isn't a big deal as you can still use the phone ok but that kind of weakness has led to batteries shorting out and going on fire and display glitches and people who don't like the slightest aesthetic defect might be bothered by it.

Are you getting ahead of yourself here? A handful of the 10 million phones sold have bent under normal use, and now .. got to go my pants are on fire!!

That happened with the 5c, someone sat down with it, it flexed and the battery went on fire:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/02/03/iphone-5c-catches-fire-in-students-pocket-causes-second-degree-burns

Any amount of flex in a smartphone isn't good for safety.

Battery fires have happened with EVERY battery powered phone.

But a phone (why are we saying "phone"? we're talking about "phablets" here.) like the Galaxy, bend much more than the iPhone. It's just that the Galaxy flexes back to shape. But what does that bending do on the inside? Think the inside components are made of plastic and snap back as well? How about the battery terminals?

• Reply 193 of 196
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by kevliu1980 View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

Well if you feel resistance from your phone when you sit down, adjust its position.

Unless you're willing to take your phone out of your pocket almost every single time you sit down, that's not possible with a larger phone. I've owned a Note 3, One Plus One, and G2 at different times over the last year and unlike the iPhone 5 I've also used, you will feel it when sitting in a car seat or squatting to look at something and 10 other times during the day in various circumstances.

Larger phones will experience resistance, often pretty strong resistance, in day to day life if you wear jeans (normal jeans - neither skinny hipster or lumberjack baggy). Again I don't think this is a pressing issue where you squat once and it bends. It does raise some questions 6 months down the line after carrying it in your pants every day.

It's not a phone; it's a "phablet"!   Remember??!

• Reply 194 of 196
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

KitKat hops on the iPhone 6 bend gate bandwagon

http://9to5mac.com/community/kitkat-hops-on-the-iphone-6-bendgate-bandwagon/#comment-211013

This just makes me hungry.

• Reply 195 of 196
    I'll stick my neck out with this comment...

I'm willing to state that it's a fact this video is bogus.

First, the iphone didn't bend. It FLEXED. the Htc one faired the worst. But he tried to cover for it.

And it didn't appear that he even tried to bend the moto x

Where was Samsung?

And we are supposed to just take this guys word that he is somehow applying equal force to all phones?

No thanks.

I'll stick with seeing iPhones tested by lab grade equipment using exact repeatable force.

I wonder when Apple gets nasty and investigates these things.

When they do... I'm investing in Orville redenbacher stock. Lol

Time for popcorn.

Remember earlier this year when all the supposed independent "person from home" youtube reviewers were caught getting paid by microsoft for Xbox one and by ea?
    this has shades of that but instead of promoting a product (though you could argue this guy really poured it on thick in favor of moto), they assault the best manufacturer.