Increase the chances of recovering your lost iPhone by enabling 'Send Last Location' in iOS 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 34

I would like this feature to also send "last known location" when it is powered down, even if the battery still has charge. 

Edit: just turned it on for my iPhone

• Reply 22 of 34

"The headline implies that the article will inform the reader how to turn on "Send Last Location".

Alas, the headline sadly promised more than the article could deliver. " ...

it does - 3rd paragraph down.

• Reply 23 of 34
    However, the problem still remains of a thief simply turning off the device.... Should have to enter your passcode or Touch ID to turn off a device.
  • Reply 24 of 34
    shenshen Posts: 434member
    Find my phone has already saved my daughters iPhone 5s and wifes iPad air. Turning this on household wide....
  • Reply 25 of 34
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

Where the hell is it?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ibeam View Post

Settings > iCloud > Find My Phone

I think he is looking for his phone.

• Reply 26 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Inkling View Post

There's something pitifully sad about a lost iPhone, in its last act before giving up its life and shutting down, sending about its last location in a "Please find me. I'm here" message.

Number Five... is alive...

• Reply 27 of 34
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

However, the problem still remains of a thief simply turning off the device.... Should have to enter your passcode or Touch ID to turn off a device.

Definitely should be an option.

• Reply 28 of 34
    Originally Posted by Timbit View Post

From what I’ve seen, I don’t see why. It can be turned off, sure, but it can’t be restored without the password of the account on it. And since it has to be turned on to restore, it’ll call home then.

• Reply 29 of 34
    foferfofer Posts: 20member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nagromme View Post

I basically never let my battery run out fully* so this setting is irrelevant UNTIL it gets stolen. So yes, I'll be using this feature!

It's also relevant for that one time your iPhone gets LOST and the battery runs out fully.  You know, wedged in your friend's couch or something.

Saying "this setting is irrelevant because you never let your battery run out fully" is like saying "I don't need car insurance because I never get in car accidents."  The whole point is that past performance is not an indication of future results.  One day, something will happen that doesn't follow your typical pattern of things, and features like this (and car insurance) are there to try and help you.

• Reply 30 of 34
    jj.yuan wrote: »
    Correction: I didn't find it in Settings->Privacy->Location services. However, as another poster said, I found in Settings->iCloude->Find My iPhone

My 5c is in iOS 8.01. I can't see the "Send Last Location" switch. Can you?

I can't remember if I saw it in iOS 8.0. I guess it was there.

Sign into find my iPhone, and it should prompt you activate that feature (send last location)
  • Reply 31 of 34
    GiraGira Posts: 2member
    A new and potentially crucial feature in iOS 8 allows an iPhone or iPad to send out its last-known location just before the device's battery dies, increasing the chances that a user might be able to recover their lost Apple product.
    The new "Send Last Location" feature will automatically transmit an iOS device's last known location to Apple when the battery drains to a predetermined point. This saved information will provide owners with one more chance to find the missing device before it disappears from the grid. It can be enabled by opening the Settings application in iOS 8, choosing iCloud, and then Find My iPhone. Turning on the new feature ensures that the location of the device will be sent to Apple and stored one last time when the battery becomes "critically low." Find My iPhone, iPad and Mac is available to all users with an iCloud account. The location of the device can be accessed by using the official Find My iPhone application for iOS, or visiting iCloud.com. Other capabilities of Find My iPhone allow a user to place their device in "Lost Mode," which will enable tracking of where a device has been in addition to its current location on a map.
    Users can also immediately lock their lost device and send a message with a contact number, in hopes of retrieving it. Apple allows whoever has the lost iPhone to call the number displayed on the lock screen without accessing the rest of the device. Apple also includes "Activation Lock" to prevent anyone from using a stolen iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. This requires an Apple ID and password to be entered before a person can turn off Find My iPhone, erase a device, or reactivate it. Finally, Apple also gives users the ability to initiate a remote wipe of a lost iOS device. Doing this will delete personal data and restore an iPhone, iPad, iPod touch or even a Mac to factory settings. A user's custom message can continue to be displayed on the device even after it has been remotely wiped.
    The "Send Last Location" feature simply does not work:

1 - I does not send you anything at all - the name is misleading

2 - If you contact Apple, as I did when my phone was stolen, they just ignore you and send you to wrng email addresses, require you to be a law enforcement agency, or send you to irrelevant instructions pages, to state the obvious

I had my iPhone stolen two weeks ago, have spoken with several people at Apple, wasted my time on emails, and I still have no information with regard to where the "phone was last seen alive".

What Apple should do is to associate the IMEI with the Apple ID - that would be the only way of building a robust framework to prevent stolen iPhones to be used,

When will that time come Apple?

• Reply 32 of 34
    GiraGira Posts: 2member
    The "Send Last Location" feature simply does not work:

1 - I does not send you anything at all - the name is misleading

2 - If you contact Apple, as I did when my phone was stolen, they just ignore you and send you to wrng email addresses, require you to be a law enforcement agency, or send you to irrelevant instructions pages, to state the obvious

I had my iPhone stolen two weeks ago, have spoken with several people at Apple, wasted my time on emails, and I still have no information with regard to where the "phone was last seen alive".

What Apple should do is to associate the IMEI with the Apple ID - that would be the only way of building a robust framework to prevent stolen iPhones to be used,

When will that time come Apple?

• Reply 33 of 34
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,560member
    This is not the information that Apple will supply to law enforcement. This is the information you yourself can see on iCloud.com or in the Find My iPhone app.