Apple tries to close iPhone 6 Plus 'bend-gate' as fashionistas come to grips with larger iPhones

Comments

• Reply 21 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

If Apple had done the proper thing and release a 4" and 4.7" iPhone, none of this would've happened. They should've gone with their conscience instead of blindly chasing competitors. The iPhone Plus is an embarrassment.

I don't know about the embarrassment part but I have to agree that I think Apple would have done just as well... if not better... with 4" and 4.7" phones... skipping the 5.5".

• Reply 22 of 130
    This is a non-issue that will blow over, it won't even get half as much attention as antenna gate. It's a user's responsibility to take care of their electronics. Don't sit on it, you wouldn't sit on your macbook air would you?
  • Reply 23 of 130
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,384member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Apple's first mistake was to respond with weasel words.

We all hate it when you complain of bad service at a hotel, say, and the manager says, "You're the first person to complain about it." That's exactly what Apple are doing here, which immediately sets the wrong tone.

Their stream of boobs is multiplying alarmingly under Cook.

Don't forget how Steve Jobs made Apple great, Tim: focus. Abandon the ?Watch and concentrate on making great products; the rest will follow.

Apple products under Cook have been the best reviewed and received by consumers in the entire history of the company. Tell me, what do you think Tim if focusing on, if not making great products? The Apple Watch is not your personal cup of tea- even though it's months away and we've only been shown the tip of the iceberg in terms of what it can do- fine, don't buy it. But to snidely and smugly demand that it be "abandoned" as if you have more insight into what makes a product great than the the people who worked on this product for years? As if you KNOW it wont be great? You're probably also one of the people demanding a new product category for the last 5 years, right? Get the **** off your high horse. 

Apple responded exactly as they should have responded, which is with the facts. Did you want them to pen a heartfelt apology letter? Or maybe pretend that MORE people complained? You don't think they should have noted that 9 people complained, out of millions, in order to contrast that with the insane and repugnant media attention this "issue" became- mainly based on 1 youtube video? It sounds like you're the one that is demanding that Apple throw their integrity out the Window. Thank God Cook is leading the company, and not someone like you.

• Reply 24 of 130
    redhotfuzz wrote: »
    "WE WANT BIGGER iPHONES LIKE THOSE SAMSUNG THINGS!"

"THESE BIGGER iPHONES ARE TOO BIG FOR OUR POCKETS!"

Ah, the joy of satisfying the modern consumer.

Personally I'd like to know how many (intentionally) bent iPhone photos were posted by Samsung employees. Talk about the best $700 marketing dollars ever spent!

Yup.. The scumbag samscum !
  • Reply 25 of 130
    19831983 Posts: 1,225member

"Apple's new, larger iPhones have also caused a stir in the world of fashion. According to the New York Times, fashionable consumers are finding the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus a tight fit.

Fashion designers and retailers have responded to the call of overstuffed pockets. Internet-based apparel company Bonobos said they would make adjustments.

"If none of our pants fit the iPhones, that would be a real problem," Bonobos design chief Dwight Fenton said. "You ignore them at your own peril."

One fashion source that spoke to AppleInsider said that at least one other famous company -- haute fashion house Rag and Bone -- would be "adjusting pocket size to compensate" for the larger devices."

That is one of the most ridiculous things I've ever read! How vain can people be?

• Reply 26 of 130
    Boring!

Tell me about it. This is old news, I can't believe the latency this site is showing.
  • Reply 27 of 130
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,322moderator
    Apple's first mistake was to respond with weasel words.

We all hate it when you complain of bad service at a hotel, say, and the manager says, "You're the first person to complain about it." That's exactly what Apple are doing here, which immediately sets the wrong tone.

I actually think it sets the right tone. What I don't like is when they do those apologies like they did for Maps. Sometimes customers need to be told they aren't always right. I liked Steve Jobs' 'don't hold it that way' attitude. Tim can just say 'don't bend it that way'. Doing it via Twitter would be the best way because if he says something that's offensive, he can just claim his account was hacked.

The fact that pretty much the only people who posted the problem online are the only people with the problem just goes to show how little anecdotal evidence can be extrapolated into real-world trends and that includes surveys.

The same could be true about the 2011 MBP problems. It could just be the 1,000 or so people posting online about it and not the couple of million people who own them.

The iPhablet will mainly appeal to women and they make up only a fraction of the 10m total sold and there are fewer conditions where the women will get it to bend. Hardly anyone has them, hardly anyone who has them has pockets so it's a non-issue.
  • Reply 28 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

I don't know about the embarrassment part but I have to agree that I think Apple would have done just as well... if not better... with 4" and 4.7" phones... skipping the 5.5".

The 5.5" iPhone may have the same lifespan as the 5c. Here today gone next year. 

• Reply 29 of 130
    mac-daddy wrote: »
    9 people that have reported it. If you honestly think there are only 9 phones that bend, then you sir are the asshole. 
    I guess you are privileged to some information the rest of us are not !
    As for your tone of response.. It has Samsung or rather samscum written all over it !
  • Reply 30 of 130
    You've got to love all these experts telling us how Steve wouldn't have done this, Steve wouldn't have said this, Steve wouldn't say that as if Steve never said something stupid in his life.. never back tracked or that Apple never made a mistake under his watch.  It's blatantly idiotic to hear all this "under Cook's watch" nonsense.  Get a grip and just MOVE ON.  Especially for such a brilliant phone as the iPhone Plus as detailed in reviews like this one.  And to 9 or 90 or 900 idiots bending their phones lets all clap hands at the obese, stupid or Samsung sponsored YouTubers of the world all united with a common goal of idiot-dom.
  • Reply 31 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Marvin View Post

I actually think it sets the right tone. What I don't like is when they do those apologies like they did for Maps. Sometimes customers need to be told they aren't always right. I liked Steve Jobs' 'don't hold it that way' attitude. Tim can just say 'don't bend it that way'. Doing it via Twitter would be the best way because if he says something that's offensive, he can just claim his account was hacked.

The fact that pretty much the only people who posted the problem online are the only people with the problem just goes to show how little anecdotal evidence can be extrapolated into real-world trends and that includes surveys.

The same could be true about the 2011 MBP problems. It could just be the 1,000 or so people posting online about it and not the couple of million people who own them.

The iPhablet will mainly appeal to women and they make up only a fraction of the 10m total sold and there are fewer conditions where the women will get it to bend. Hardly anyone has them, hardly anyone who has them has pockets so it's a non-issue.

The takeaway:  Don't bend it like Beckham.

• Reply 32 of 130
    Quote:

They also feature stainless steel and titanium inserts to reinforce high stress locations and use the strongest glass in the smartphone industry. 

Can we finally kill the silly sapphire iPhone screen nonsense. 

• Reply 33 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Nine confirmed BENT phones out of 10,000,000

I mean really.

yes 9 morons on you tube putting incredible force on the phone to bend it. I laughed when I saw one of em literally his fingers were shaking  at the pressure he was applying. That demo was not simulating the forces that might get applied in normal use.

• Reply 34 of 130
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by appleempl View Post

This is a non-issue that will blow over, it won't even get half as much attention as antenna gate. It's a user's responsibility to take care of their electronics. Don't sit on it, you wouldn't sit on your macbook air would you?

Oh... it'll blow over alright... but I'm fairly certain that it has already received much more attention in 2 or 3 days than attennagate did in 2 or 3 months.

In 4 years social media has grown substantially.

• Reply 35 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Oh... it'll blow over alright... but I'm fairly certain that it has already received much more attention in 2 or 3 days than attennagate did in 2 or 3 months.

Social media is just another word for "sewing circle".

• Reply 36 of 130
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Social media is just another word for "sewing circle".

... but a really really big sewing circle.

• Reply 37 of 130

Maybe they're holding it wrong, Tim.

Love how multiple threads on the Apple and MacRumor forums magically turns into only 9 confirmed cases. Really? So you're saying it's all a consipiracy, and these people are all a bunch of lying fandroids? Ok.

Cue free ridgid case program for those "9" people in 5, 4, 3, 2...

• Reply 38 of 130
    I've been watching CNBC most of the day listening to crap about bend gate and the stock has dropped and put a drag on the NASDAQ crap! Now there is an OFFICIAL STATEMENT FROM APPLE and I haven't seen them talk about it yet. NOW CNBC JUST MENTIONED SOMETHING ABOUT CHARGING AN IPHONE IN A MICROWAVE! WFT? Can't they be held accountable for reporting crap.

All my local news stations have been reporting the bent iPhone crap nonstop and sounding so ignorant while doing it. I'll watch them tonight to see if they report the OFFICIAL REPORT FROM APPLE.

The guy who did the stupid video STRAINING TO BEND THE IPHONE LOOKING LIKE HE WAS TRYING TO TAKE A SHIIIIITTT was simply out for personal gain. I can bend any phone doing that crap. That's not normal use.

I'm all for reporting issues but report it to the people who can help you, not twitter and Facebook and other unqualified people.
  • Reply 39 of 130
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member

After watching the video, I noticed the iPhone was still running. Has anyone reported it failing after sitting on it? The video also showed someone having to use a lot of directed force to bend it at all. I would rather have seen him run his test by putting the phone in either pocket and seeing if it bends. Doing a torture test isn't the same as normal or violent use, it's trying to break a perfectly good phone that lots of people want. People can rip apart phone books (you know, those old paper things that can be 2" thick) and the phone company isn't going to complain about it. 

• Reply 40 of 130
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member

Pretty much. Plus all of Apple's competitors are johnny on the spot with tweets and internet ads. HTC, LG and Samsung have already sent out tweets mocking the new iPhone.