Apple Watch revealed: A wrist-worn, personalized communications & fitness device with 'digital crown

18910111214»

Comments

• Reply 261 of 267
    Quote:

Originally Posted by antkm1 View Post

Personally, I think the "one more thing" could have been further accented by following some of SJ's famous marketing.  I always felt like Jobs presented new products as if he were trying to demonstrate it to his grandmother.  This is definitely not a SJ-inspired device.

I think they know the UI is a bit too much (there are currently 3 different ways to interact with the device).  It much too complicated to operate.  The digital crown is nice idea but it really doesn't do too much.  scroll and zoom and "select".  The touch display was panned by Cook for being too small to productively used, but then you still can swipe, tap, and "force tap" the screen.  Kind of a mixed message.  Then there is the mysterious contacts button.

Ultimately, I think even Apple hasn't figured out all this device can do or should do.  I think not only was this unveil was meant to prevent leaks from happening prematurely, but, also perhaps to "feel out the crowd".  Figure out what the public's impressions are and make some minor revisions to the design in response.  I honestly don't think even Apple knows what this device *should* be.  it's quite obvious from the lack of explaining what they think this product is for.

Not once did i get an impression of what current product/problem the ?WATCH is actually supposed to solve?  They never once stated why we need a watch?  Or why this product will make our lives better.  Cook said they make "great products...that enrich people's lives".  He said that, but the device never once (IMO) showed how it will enrich my life.  Gone are the days for Apple to tell us what's wrong with a current product and then give us something we didn't even know we wanted.  I still don't think i want this.  It's pretty but i'm unconvinced.

I'm mostly in agreement with you. While I think Apple is doing a fine job with their product line since Jobs' death, I agree what's missing is his story telling ability, and this has never been more evident than with the introduction of their watch.

Tim Cook is a brilliant CEO, but he's really not a product guy and perhaps not the ideal person to "sell" the product at these announcements. When he describes a product it sounds like a canned marketing message, with the usual smattering of adjectives as if plucked from a thesaurus. During the Charlie Rose interview, I cringed a bit when he described the new iPhones. I felt like even I could have done a better job of describing what's great about them. 

"Jobs presented new products as if he were trying to demonstrate it to his grandmother. " Spot on.

• Reply 262 of 267
    antkm1antkm1 Posts: 1,441member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by freediverx View Post

I'm mostly in agreement with you. While I think Apple is doing a fine job with their product line since Jobs' death, I agree what's missing is his story telling ability, and this has never been more evident than with the introduction of their watch.

Tim Cook is a brilliant CEO, but he's really not a product guy and perhaps not the ideal person to "sell" the product at these announcements. When he describes a product it sounds like a canned marketing message, with the usual smattering of adjectives as if plucked from a thesaurus. During the Charlie Rose interview, I cringed a bit when he described the new iPhones. I felt like even I could have done a better job of describing what's great about them. 

"Jobs presented new products as if he were trying to demonstrate it to his grandmother. " Spot on.

I wasn't trying to criticize Cook at all.  I think he's done a great job!  I just think this chapter of Apple is going to be a very trying time.  It is quite obvious that from now on, the products and services and Apple produces are definitely Post-Jobs, and a new era...Apple 3.0 as someone above stated.  I just kind of feel (like you said) they've lost a bit of the wonder that they once had in the 2.0 era, and both the iPhone 6 designs and the ?WATCH designs are a testament to that notion.  They just haven't given us a clear reason why these products are better than before.

Arguably, the iPhones 6 do have some great new innovations, but even the marketing tagline "bigger than bigger" says nothing for why they are bigger.  Just feels like people have complained so long that they are just giving in.  I'm sad they dropped the 4" form factor too.  I just don't think i'm going to be upgrading my phone this year.  Single handed use is more important to me than more content on the screen.  I'm happy with the 5s.

With the watch, my previous comments hold.  Tell me Apple, why do I need this?  The phones do everything this little watch does.  And if i can't productively use it without pairing with my phone, what's the point? It's gotta be more than just notifications and Fitness.  If it were just that, why not just update the iPod nano with some beef'd up functionality?  The watch is beautiful design, but the UI and functionality is just off, IMO.

• Reply 263 of 267
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ben Thompson at Stratechery is writing very well about the ?WATCH, his articles are probably the most lucid and insightful commentary around.

http://stratechery.com/2014/apple-watch-asking-saying/ - what was wrong with the keynote

http://stratechery.com/2014/now-apple-watch/ - what is right about the ?WATCH
  • Reply 264 of 267
    freediverx wrote: »

Trying to pin the inability to replicate Steve Jobs on Tim Cook, is overlooking the FACT that no other tech company has ever found someone remotely close to duplicating a Steve Jobs presentation. We'll be waiting a long time for someone with his special knack and charisma to create an aura bordering on slack-jawed mysticism around a tech device.

IMHO too many people with Steve Jobs' talents would probably be a bad thing for the world... and has been proven throughout history to be quite dangerous.
  • Reply 265 of 267
    freediverx wrote: »

Trying to pin the inability to replicate Steve Jobs on Tim Cook, is overlooking the FACT that no other tech company has ever found someone remotely close to duplicating a Steve Jobs presentation. We'll be waiting a long time for someone with his special knack and charisma to create an aura bordering on slack-jawed mysticism around a tech device.

IMHO too many people with Steve Jobs' talents would probably be a bad thing for the world... and has been proven throughout history to be quite dangerous.

You're mostly right.

We have to fade like the elves and go quietly into the Grey Havens.
  • Reply 266 of 267
    OMG! What a watch it is!
    Do have a look at a recently bought Sykla smartwatch I got from here:
    https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/sykla-the-elegant-smart-watch