Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 41 of 225
    froodfrood Posts: 771member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Who are you going to believe? :???:

Apple, who has vigorously tested thousands of phones, going through their state of the art test facility, or one knucklehead on Youtube who has tested one used phone that was previously bent from before and who is testing it in the most amateurish way possible?  :no: 

Anybody who chooses to believe the latter is free to go and buy an Android phone, because frankly speaking, I believe that they are too dumb to own any iOS devices, and I'd rather not have such people as fellow Apple users.

I'll believe neither of them.  Youtube videos are, ... well... Youtube videos.

Test labs are great at testing everything within their design constraints and I certainly don't dispute Apple thoroughly tested these, the only question is whether their tests mimic actual usage accurately enough.

The only test that matters is how it fares in the wild.  There are now millions of 'test benches' out there, and if the iPhone 6+ starts bending from day to day use Apple has a legitimate issue on their hands.  It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Unfortunately the videos do alter people's perception.  There was a guy at my poker table recently who claimed he was trying to decide, and opted for the 6 instead of the 6+ largely because of this.  Not sure what category of 'idiot' that places him under in your worldview.

• Reply 42 of 225
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,718member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And yet I bet you never once jumped on the terms battery-gate, antenna-gate, band-gate, blahblah-gate, yadayada-gate, or any other fucking gate to ever make a political statement about the Watergate scandal. No, this is just you and your anti-Obama, racially fueled agenda.

Well said.
  • Reply 43 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

1) No.

2) More than 2x as many iPhone 6 Pluses affected by Bendghazi than people killed in 2012 Benghazi attacks.

3) No.

4) No.

5) No.

6) Shut up.

Holy crap! TS killed SolipX and has taken over his account!! :D

• Reply 44 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Siri to critics: bite my shiny metal ass.
  • Reply 45 of 225

Oh man.  Here I thought with all the media attention, we were all about to get free cases out of this. Oh well. 

/s

• Reply 46 of 225
    frood wrote: »
    I'll believe neither of them.  Youtube videos are, ... well... Youtube videos.

Test labs are great at testing everything within their design constraints and I certainly don't dispute Apple thoroughly tested these, the only question is whether their tests mimic actual usage accurately enough.

The only test that matters is how it fares in the wild.  There are now millions of 'test benches' out there, and if the iPhone 6+ starts bending from day to day use Apple has a legitimate issue on their hands.  It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Unfortunately the videos do alter people's perception.  There was a guy at my poker table recently who claimed he was trying to decide, and opted for the 6 instead of the 6+ largely because of this.  Not sure what category of 'idiot' that places him under in your worldview.

Next at bat will be Consumer Reports who is licking their chops on this one. Blood thirsty in fact...

In fact for them this is bigger than antenna gate
  • Reply 47 of 225
    solipsismx wrote: »
    And yet I bet you never once jumped on the terms battery-gate, antenna-gate, bend-gate, blahblah-gate, yadayada-gate, or any other fucking gate to ever make a political statement about the Watergate scandal. No, this is just you and your anti-Obama, racially fueled agenda.
    Come now, I'm sure he's going to be consistent. I'm sure he also blames George W. Bush for 9/11, which killed 3000 people.after all, the warnings prior to 9/11 were much more strongly worded than any warnings about Benghazi. Yet George W. Bush famously dismissed the FBI briefing while at his ranch in Texas. Surely Apple II wanted an investigation over the blood on George W. Bush's hands, since he was much more responsible for that attack then Obama was for Benghazi.
  • Reply 48 of 225
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

Well said.

No, it's not. It was foolishly said and calling other people or insinuating that they are racists is an immature way of communicating, not to mention that it's also slander.

I think that you're a rapist for agreeing with him.

• Reply 49 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    apple ][ wrote: »
    Well said.

No, it's not. It was foolishly said and calling other people or insinuating that they are racists is an immature way of communicating, not to mention that it's also slander.

I think that you're a rapist for agreeing with him.

Could you guys maybe take this over to PO? And it would be libel, not slander. And I doubt that digitalclips is a rapist, whomever he may agree with.
  • Reply 50 of 225

Mr(s) SEC, was there a covert attempt to smear apple, steal their launch glory and take it down a %? Probably not, but plausible...    ....

• Reply 51 of 225
    edit: What [@]muppetry[/@] said.
  • Reply 52 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Frood View Post

It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Is it really an issue though?

I mean, I see plenty of people with cracked iPhone screens. How many iPhone users are currently walking around and using a phone with a cracked screen? I bet that the number is not small, yet that is not an issue. If people drop their phones, then the display just might crack.

If people have iPhone 6+s, and if they are not careful with using it (like sitting down with that large phone in their pants pocket), or if they intentionally try to damage it like some have done, then yeah, it just might bend or break.

• Reply 53 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

And I doubt that digitalclips is a rapist, whomever he may agree with.

He is as much a rapist as I am a racist.

I already stated in a prior post of mine that this is going off topic, and we should talk about the main subject of this topic, which is Apple's testing of their devices, and how they smackdowned youtube amateurs and others who are spreading FUD.

• Reply 54 of 225
    frood wrote: »

It is not just immediate short term usage, if after a year a significant percentage of users are walking around with bent phones it is going to be a headache for Apple. 

Is it really an issue though?

I mean, I see plenty of people with cracked iPhone screens. How many iPhone users are currently walking around and using a phone with a cracked screen? I bet that the number is not small, yet that is not an issue. If people drop their phones, then the display just might crack.

If people have iPhone 6+s, and if they are not careful with using it (like sitting down with that large phone in their pants pocket), or if they intentionally try to damage it like some have done, then yeah, it just might bend or break.

It's probably true that if there were an epidemic of bent phones from normal use then Apple would have to deal with it, and keeping a phone in a pocket is likely within the range of accepted normal use. But, I am quite sure that Apple tested these thoroughly - it's an obvious concern for a large, thin phone - so it would be surprising if this actually transpired.
  • Reply 55 of 225
    muppetry wrote: »
    And I doubt that digitalclips is a rapist, whomever he may agree with.

He is as much a rapist as I am a racist.

I already stated in a prior post of mine that this is going off topic, and we should talk about the main subject of this topic, which is Apple's testing of their devices, and how they smackdowned youtube amateurs and others who are spreading FUD.

Well OK then.
  • Reply 56 of 225
    I am feel like to bend the Samsung Galaxy phone half by sitting down my big ass front the Google faces in the video.
  • Reply 57 of 225

Ah, geez. Guys, I just... ugh, I put my MacBook in my pocket and it... 

This is obviously Apple’s fault.

• Reply 58 of 225
    mazda 3smazda 3s Posts: 1,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I agree. This ad is so stupid.

You do know that's not a real ad, right?

Quote:

Along the same lines, this mockup ad (not yet endorsed by Samsung) for the GALAXY Note 3 is pretty brilliant (via @GhostwritahMusic):

http://uproxx.com/technology/2014/09/apple-iphone-6-vs-samsung-galaxy-note/

• Reply 59 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

LMAO!

• Reply 60 of 225
    [image]

How did that happen?