Apple quality control manager responsible for iOS 8.0.1 also tied to Maps app debacle

Comments

• Reply 41 of 150

It's my fault. There the guy's off the hook.

• Reply 42 of 150
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

Well if were Steve Ballmer you'd be all for it.

Let's get real- this guy is a major f' up, if true.

Quote:

Who cares?  He's caused Apple Goodwill to turn downwards and ruined many a person's day with lost calls and typing in their passwords.

Quote:

No but he's made 2 major ones that's affected millions. Ok then by your logic take it all the way up the chain.

Quote:

Then it all leads to Tim Cook.

Quote:

It's Bloomberg not BusinessWeek and they wouldn't report it unless they were absolutely certain or be liable. 

Pazuzu, you reconfirm the filth of your character with every post. The interesting this is, you can tell alot about someone from their reaction to human stories like these- even if they appear to be trolls on every subject, reactions to these kinds of stories are the ones that matter. The fact that you giddily condone and support such a display of unconfirmed public shaming- for an employee that is not an executive of the company - says alot about your utter lack of empathy, perspective, and your degree of vengeful sociopathy and desire for "punishment". You don't seem to understand why this is wrong, and this tells everyone what they need to know about you.

Oh, and this guy is a "**** up"? Compared to who, exactly? Compared to you? He's apparently worked at Apple for 14 years, so that in itself is quite an accomplishment. He might be a genius who's extremely good at what he does, and in all his years has made a handful of errors, that may not even be directly his fault. You have no fucking idea, nobody does, except the people who have worked with him intimately. No QA manager who worked with such a complex and ambitious project like a new mapping platform could come out of that unscathed. Yet, from the 5 seconds of info you read, you confidently call this person a "****-up". Why don't you show us a portfolio of your accomplishments, beyond trolling this forum day and night? We'd love to see something good you've created- anything at all. In my experience, it's no no-nothings, do-nothings like you are so quick to play judge, jury, and executioner, and call for people's heads, no matter how little knowledge they have.

Oh, and stop pretending you give a shit about Apple's "goodwill" since you tear the company to pieces and mock everything they do every opportunity you get.

Oh, and shame on AI for regurgitating this story. I know standards on this site are extremely low, but I always assumed there was some sort of standard, and I fully admit I was wrong in that assumption. Not like other Apple sites are better, macrumors expectedly regurgitated the story too- can't miss out on clicks now, can we, no matter how cruel the article is or whose lives we help destroy. 

• Reply 43 of 150
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

There's a difference between a CEO or executive officer of the company and some mid-level manager. And you said IF TRUE. Well what if it's not true? What if there's more to the story? This guys life is just been ruined.

Melodrama much?

Ruined?

More likely - if true - he's now a hero in the Android and 'Network News' worlds.

• Reply 44 of 150
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Functional responsibility for software performance at the corporate level resides with Craig Federighi, senior vice president of software engineering. Apparently a nice guy from all that we've seen, but even nice guys have to step up and be accountable. Funny that his name hasn't been mentioned in connection with the iOS 8 problems. Over to you, Craig. How about it?

• Reply 45 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

Functional responsibility for software performance at the corporate level resides with Craig Federighi, senior vice president of software engineering. Apparently a nice guy from all that we've seen, but even nice guys have to step up and be accountable. Funny that his name hasn't been mentioned in connection with the iOS 8 problems. Over to you, Craig. How about it?

Is this how it is now, we need to call out employees/execs by name every time there's any kind of bug or issue? 8.02 has been released, get over it and your desire for a pound of flesh. I'm sure many are taking flack  and dealing with this internally, they're not obligated to pen you or anyone else an apology letter. These people work their asses off every single day and are some of the best in the world in what they do, but hey lets not cut them an inch of slack the instant something doesnt work 100% perfectly. Apple already issued an apology, what do you want? For Craig to personally call you?

• Reply 46 of 150
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by macrilege View Post

ha! someone should get fired over that one. feeling dumb for updating.

Quote:

Originally Posted by asdasd View Post

Heads should roll. Not devs. Head of test. If they have one.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

This is a serious **** up on Apple's part and someone needs to be fired.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by TeaEarleGreyHot View Post

Yes, whoever is responsible for releasing a version of iOS that breaks basic functions should be fired. Today.

• Reply 47 of 150
    QA Managers don't usually make the decision to ship a product, that's a group decision. But sometimes there's pressure from higher up to get the product out ASAP. I'd want to know if the problems people are talking about were actually missed by QA and the Beta testers. Did development push some late changes that didn't get tested sufficiently?
  • Reply 48 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SpamSandwich View Post

Blame Bloomberg. And while you're at it, mercilessly attack the shmuck who made the 'bendy' iPhone video. He's a tick.

Yes, blame the messenger. It's the "schmuck's" fault the iPhone 6+ bent significanty when none of the other phones did.

• Reply 49 of 150
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Slurpy View Post

Is this how it is now, we need to call out employees/execs by name every time there's any kind of bug or issue? 8.02 has been released, get over it and your desire for a pound of flesh. I'm sure many are taking flack  and dealing with this internally, they're not obligated to pen you or anyone else an apology letter. These people work their asses off every single day and are some of the best in the world in what they do, but hey lets not cut them an inch of slack the instant something doesnt work 100% perfectly. 

There's a difference between accountability and blame, Slurpy. As a customer, what I'm interested in is gaining confidence from Apple that it is correcting what appears to be a software development process problem, so that it doesn't reoccur with future releases. It seems to me that one of the key individuals to speak on this is Craig Federighi. I have no fight with you and don't want one. So why don't you take a deep breath and put your fists back in your pocket?

• Reply 50 of 150
    wigbywigby Posts: 692member
    pazuzu wrote: »
     Then it all leads to Tim Cook.

As CEO everything leads back to Cook but he already fired Forstall and apologized for Maps. Should he now step down as Apple CEO? If that was the case, no CEO would ever last more than a week in any tech company. This call out was a public action to a non-public employee and without all the facts borders on liable and slander.
  • Reply 51 of 150
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:

Pazuzu, you reconfirm the filth of your character with every post. The interesting this is, you can tell alot about someone from their reaction to human stories like these- even if they appear to be trolls on every subject (like you) reactions to these kinds of stories are the ones that matter. The fact that you giddily condone and support such a display of unconfirmed public shaming- for an employee that is not an executive of the company - says alot about your utter lack of empathy, perspective, and your degree of vengeful sociopathy and desire for "punishment". You don't seem to understand why this is wrong, and this tells everyone what they need to know about you.

Oh, and this guy is a "**** up"? Compared to who, exactly? Compared to you? He's apparently worked at Apple for 14 years, so that in itself is quite an accomplishment. He might be a genius who's extremely good at what he does, and in all his years has made a handful of errors, that may not even be directly his fault. You have no fucking idea, nobody does, except the people who have worked with him intimately. No QA manager who worked with such a complex and ambitious project like a new mapping platform could come out of that unscathed. Yet, from the 5 seconds of info you read, you confidently call this person a "****-up". Why don't you show us a portfolio of your accomplishments, beyond trolling this forum day and night? We'd love to see something good you've created- anything at all. In my experience, it's no no-nothings, do-nothings like you are so quick to play judge, jury, and executioner, and call for people's heads, no matter how little knowledge they have.

Again- everyone here can now see that you're a callous, sociopathic human being without a shred of empathy, something I've suspected for a very long time, based on your constant tearing down of anything Apple ever does, including constantly demanding Cook's head. Hope karma bites you in the ass, after calling for the demise of so many people you know nothing about. Oh, and stop pretending you give a shit about Apple's "goodwill" since you tear the company to pieces and mock everything they do every opportunity you get. Not only are you a horrible human being, you're also a chronic liar. 

Oh, and shame on AI for regurgitating this story. I know standards on this site are extremely low, but I always assumed there was some sort of standard, and I fully admit I was wrong in that assumption. Not like other Apple sites are better, macrumors expectedly regurgitated the story too- can't miss out on clicks now, can we. 

Go tell it to the people who lost calls that may have been life depending, etc. 

Go tell it to the people who had every right to be hotheaded and angry because they lost business connectivity etc, etc. etc.

Go tell it to the people who lost $$ as the stock dipped too.

• Reply 52 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Kibitzer View Post

There's a difference between accountability and blame, Slurpy. As a customer, what I'm interested in is gaining confidence from Apple that it is correcting what appears to be a software development process problem, so that it doesn't reoccur with future releases. It seems to me that one of the key individuals to speak on this is Craig Federighi. I have no fight with you and don't want one. So why don't you take a deep breath and put your fists back in your pocket?

Your post still makes no sense. What do you want from Federighi? To make a public apology about a 0.01 update that was fixed in a day? You truly think shit isnt being straightened out behind the scenes, to make sure it never happens again? Its utterly childish how you demand Craig to go "on record" with something. He can fix whatever happened internally, and he has no obligation to explain anything to you or other ultra-entitled whiners that have probably never written a line of code in their lives. 

• Reply 53 of 150

Testers always get the blame, but they didn't create the problem. What about the developer that broke the thing? What about his manager?

The sad thing is Apple could easily limit the impact of things like this by releasing to a limited number of users instead of their whole user base. They could also easily sign up beta testers that get a the release a day before releasing to the masses.

I'm surprised there is no easy way to uninstall a patch.

• Reply 54 of 150
    Quote:

Your post still makes no sense. What do you want from Federighi? To make a public apology about a 0.01 update that was fixed in a day? You truly think shit isnt being straightened out behind the scenes, to make sure it never happens again? Its utterly childish how you demand Craig to go "on record" with something. He can fix whatever happened internally, and he has no obligation to explain anything to you or other ultra-entitled whiners that have probably never written a line of code in their lives. 

You're embarrassing yourself.

• Reply 55 of 150
    Go tell it to the people who had every right to be hotheaded and angry because they lost business connectivity etc, etc. etc.

I'm a shareholder and I was also inconvenienced yesterday and today and yet I understand that these things happen.

BTW, Bloomberg pulled his name from the story. How does it feel to have everyone on this forum think you're a piece of garbage and also be dead wrong?
  • Reply 56 of 150
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member

Are you saying the story isn't accurate?

I'm not sure what he was saying but the story is absolute crap! First off there was nothing wrong with Maps when it shipped. It didn't do the same thing Googles solution did and that unfortunately tripped out a lot of entitled people out there.

Second no one on the outside knows what happened inside Apple. It is completely possible that the quality manager was overruled. IOS 8 shipped with a huge number of bugs and frankly that is the result of having to have a new OS available with the we hardware. All in all I'm not surprised that this happened because I spent a lot of time with the developer previews and frankly they rushed to get it out.

So if the QC manager is in the position where shipment dates overrule quality is it really his fault that things get screwed up like this?
  • Reply 57 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by ktappe View Post

Yes, blame the messenger. It's the "schmuck's" fault the iPhone 6+ bent significanty when none of the other phones did.

Man, please give it a rest. Seriously, get yourself into rehab for being a drama queen.... "none of the other phones did".... (sic).. Do you even believe the things you type?

• Reply 58 of 150
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    No but he's made 2 major ones that's affected millions. Ok then by your logic take it all the way up the chain.

How do you know this? First off the complaints about Apple Maps are complete non sense and largely came from people expecting the same functionality as Google Maps. From day one Apples maps did everything I expected of it.

As for this release, iOS 8 is very buggy even in the first release. That is not the fault of the QC manager if the release is forced by management to meet a shipment deadline. Honestly do you really believe this guy has the authority to say no we can't release that? Decisions like this come from a very high level in any company.
  • Reply 59 of 150

Tim should invite Craig and this employee over for dinner just to lighten things up and put the guy at ease.  When an ordinary person minding their own life comes under public scrutiny like this craziness can happen.

Tim should escalate this and call out Bloomberg as a tabloid.  This is just gutter journalism.

• Reply 60 of 150
    The guy is not a public figure. There is a real possibility of his suing Bloomberg and AI for slander if the story is untrue.

Also you can't blame the maps and iOS debacles on one dude. Both represent larger systemic problems at Apple.

Also I am loving this new forum formatting -- great for iPhones! Thanks !