Apple extends iPhone 6 and 6 Plus rollout to 22 new countries

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
Following Apple's record-breaking iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus launch last week that resulted in stock-outs at many worldwide Apple Stores, the company will open sales of its latest handsets to an additional 22 countries on Friday.

Continuing the iPhone 6 rollout, Apple Stores and retail outlets in Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, Ireland, Isle of Man, Italy, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Portugal, Qatar, Russia, Saudi Arabia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Turkey and the United Arab Emirates will start sales when doors open today. In addition to brick-and-mortar store sales, Online Apple Store customers will also have a chance to place orders for delivery.

The 22 countries join nine launch countries that saw long lines and quick stock-outs one week ago. Along with the U.S., Apple's iPhone 6 debuted in Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Puerto Rico, Singapore and the U.K. on Sept. 19.

According to Apple, the latest iPhone models are off to a record-breaking start with 4 million preorders notched in the first 24 hours of availability and launch weekend sales totaling some 10 million units.

With low supply on hand at Apple Stores already selling the iPhone 6, it is unclear how many units the company has ready for today's second wave launch.

Apple is aiming to get its new iPhone into 115 countries by the end of the year, including the important Chinese market that has yet to receive word on availability. On Tuesday, the Chinese government said it expects to issue regulatory approval soon, suggesting an imminent rollout. Demand is such that customers in the country eager to get their hands on the latest iOS device have taken to paying high premiums for handsets smuggled into the country by profiteers.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 47

so, 10 million sold so far, 1 million less than the launch month of samsung's s5. i am expecting 20-25 million in first month to be sold. any fear of that nonsensical bent my phone in my front pocket should have been assuaged as there were only 9 complaints (and i am willing to bet they actually put it in their rear pockets).

most of my students at the university i teach here in Korea say they are going to get it. but we will have to wait a little longer.

• Reply 2 of 47

jeez, you'd think they could actually fill the orders in the few countries it's available before they roll out to 22 MORE lol

• Reply 3 of 47
    So about bend gate, I just think that some people just shouldn't have and can't handle nice things. That guy online should be banned from touching another Apple product in his life.
  • Reply 4 of 47
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    [B]@revenant[/B], i'ts well worth the wait. Never saw or felt anything like the 6 Plus.

It's interesting that your students are on to it. Cheers me up after all the manufactured "news" about bending. How anyone could mistreat an object this carefully designed and made escapes me.
  • Reply 5 of 47
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    I'm more interested in when they will get some more stock here in the UK. I wanted to handle the device to see whether or not the 6 was too big for me before ordering and they have been totally out of stock (all models) ever since!

Still, patience is a virtue!!
  • Reply 6 of 47
    revenant wrote: »
    so, 10 million sold so far...

Well.... that was announced on Monday.... 4 days ago.

I'm sure they've added a few million more in the past few days.

I don't think we'll hear another peep about it from Apple for a while. They'll likely make another announcement at the October event.

But yes... another record-breaking launch! :D
  • Reply 7 of 47

Wow, Full speed ahead.  

This is like pouring salt in the wounds of the nay sayers.

It's like brushing off their shoulders after the bending mud slingers encounter.

...And that ain't all.  Look out for

** Apple Pay

** New iPads with  Touch ID

** SIRI + Watson analytics applications for Medical, Financial, Travel, Retail industries.

** New Macs with Yosemite

and much much more.

Go Apple.  Go Go Go.

• Reply 8 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Firechild22 View Post

jeez, you'd think they could actually fill the orders in the few countries it's available before they roll out to 22 MORE lol

I agree 100% with you.

• Reply 9 of 47
    adyb wrote: »
    I'm more interested in when they will get some more stock here in the UK. I wanted to handle the device to see whether or not the 6 was too big for me before ordering and they have been totally out of stock (all models) ever since!

Still, patience is a virtue!!

That's what the Apple Store return policy is for...
  • Reply 10 of 47
    wood1208wood1208 Posts: 2,913member

I don't get it. Apple can't even fulfill iPhone 6/iPhone 6 plus orders in USA quick and now adding 22 more countries. I went to ATT retail store and I was told wait is several weeks. I can order it and hoping Apple improve supply to reduce wait time. This bending hoopla is now becoming humor and seems has no impact to mass upgrade happening in reality. 

• Reply 11 of 47
    These units were already allocated to these countries in advance, it's not like they're just sending this weeks production out.

Either way, Apple is just getting started. :D
  • Reply 12 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member
    Wow, Full speed ahead.
    ** SIRI + Watson analytics applications for Medical, Financial, Travel, Retail industries.
    I don't think the IBM and Apple working relationship has gone so far as IBM helping Apple improve SIRI. Perhaps someday if IBM and Apple can trust each other enough. Apple has had a trust issue with supposed partners in recent years and I imagine IBM is a bit wary of Apple too.
  • Reply 13 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

That's not how it works. X amount are pre-allocated for each country regardless of how many back orders there are. Those are filled as more and more devices roll off the assembly lines. It's better to have actual product to sell when it is released in each country, even if it's not much - it helps drive demand.

You were given a ship date before you ordered yours, so it shouldn't matter if devices are being shipped to other countries before you get it.

• Reply 14 of 47
    Quote:

Originally Posted by mjtomlin View Post

That's not how it works. X amount are pre-allocated for each country regardless of how many back orders there are. Those are filled as more and more devices roll off the assembly lines. It's better to have actual product to sell when it is released in each country, even if it's not much - it helps drive demand.

You were given a ship date before you ordered yours, so it shouldn't matter if devices are being shipped to other countries before you get yours.

oh, I don't personally care, I have my 6 Plus (and a MacBook Retina, Apple TV, iPad Air), so I love Apple's products, however I think creating this stupid demand when it's painfully apparent they are overwhelmingly unprepared for the orders they have in the few countries that have the new phones now is unprofessional, greedy, irresponsible to the people with orders that have been pending for weeks here.  But I shall not continue to argue on this website filled with people who wouldn't fault Apple no matter WHAT they do lol.  As I said I love Apple's products but not all of their policies, but you just can't say that type of heresy here.  Good day

• Reply 15 of 47
    Wait. So Apple funnels billions of dollars through its Irish tax shelter, and Ireland didn't make the first wave? Ouch.
  • Reply 16 of 47
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    You'll continue to have a hard time getting one at an Apple Store in Nyc until it's sold directly in China. The lines look 80% Chinese.
  • Reply 17 of 47
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,673member
    Quote:

oh, I don't personally care, I have my 6 Plus (and a MacBook Retina, Apple TV, iPad Air), so I love Apple's products, however I think creating this stupid demand when it's painfully apparent they are overwhelmingly unprepared for the orders they have in the few countries that have the new phones now is unprofessional, greedy, irresponsible to the people with orders that have been pending for weeks here.  But I shall not continue to argue on this website filled with people who wouldn't fault Apple no matter WHAT they do lol.  As I said I love Apple's products but not all of their policies, but you just can't say that type of heresy here.  Good day

1. So, you're saying it would be better if Apple delayed shipments to all other countries until demand has been met after each rollout?

2. Or would it have been better just go worldwide all at once?

3. Maybe, just maybe Apple should've waited until they have enough inventory so they could have enough to meet initial demand?

Out come...

1. Customers in some countries would have to wait about six months to be able to buy an iPhone 6.

2. Customers all over the world would have phones on back order for several months.

3. The release date wouldn't arrive until the end of the year.

And thank you, for not continuing with such an ignorant argument, because it's painfully obvious that you should NEVER run a company that ships products outside your own zip code - stick to delivering pizza.

• Reply 18 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Wow, Full speed ahead.  

This is like pouring salt in the wounds of the nay sayers.

It's like brushing off their shoulders after the bending mud slingers encounter.

...And that ain't all.  Look out for

** Apple Pay

** New iPads with  Touch ID

** New Macs with Yosemite

and much much more.

Go Apple.  Go Go Go.

I almost forgot about Apple pay since I got my 6 Plus yesterday! Cannot wait for that.

And rumored Mac mini refresh!!! Halelujiah! 

• Reply 19 of 47
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

1. So, you're saying it would be better if Apple delayed shipments to all other countries until demand has been met after each rollout?

3. Maybe, just maybe Apple should've waited until they have enough inventory so they could have enough to meet initial demand?

Out come...

1. Customers in some countries would have to wait about six months to be able to buy an iPhone 6.

2. Customers all over the world would have phones on back order for several months.

And thank you, for not continuing with such an ignorant argument, because it's painfully obvious that you should NEVER run a company that ships products outside your own zip code - stick to delivering pizza.

Just curious...do you believe it makes logistical sense the way Apple delays production of new models as long as possible, vs. starting sooner and having more inventory at launch.

I've seen a lot of people, who don't understand the real reasoning behind this, try to justify it, and its always entertaining to watch.

• Reply 20 of 47
    Quote:

Out come...

Actually, I think a quite a few people would agree that postponing more rollouts would help alleviate some of the backorders from the initial week.

I don't think anyone said to wait 6 months. Hell... if it took Apple 6 months to supply people from the initial rollout then Apple has a really big problem.