Apple quality control manager responsible for iOS 8.0.1 also tied to Maps app debacle

Comments

• Reply 81 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Making no statement as to the article directly, I do imagine that anywhere from 1-5 people were fired over 8.0.1.

If the person (or people) responsible for this botched update take ownership of the problem and correct it in a timely manner, which it seems they have now done, why should anyone get fired.  Every one will and does make mistakes.  It's how you react and learn from that matter more.

• Reply 82 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by CanukStorm View Post

If the person (or people) responsible for this botched update take ownership of the problem and correct it in a timely manner, which it seems they have now done, why should anyone get fired.  Every one will and does make mistakes.  It's how you react and learn from that matter more.

While I agree that someone may not be fired over this. It certainly doesn't put them on the short list for a promotion ;-)  (though release manager is pretty much one of the more consequential operational job someone at apple can have ).

• Reply 83 of 150
    pscooter63 wrote: »
    They will correct their processes, I'm sure, just like Maps was corrected. As to who if anyone takes a fall, it's not for me to know (though I do share the reporting outrage).

Has there been any updates regarding ?Maps saturation of the market? I suspect it's high. I don't know of anyone that will purposely pull use the Google Maps iOS app over ?Maps, although I do sometime access Google Maps in the mobileSafari browser because it was right there.
  • Reply 84 of 150

It is time to boycott Bloomberg! That Bloomberg article is still there. It is time we flood email of the author and editor of that article. The article even get into QA process at the company. The named individuals should file a suit against Bloomberg for this act.

• Reply 85 of 150
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Has there been any updates regarding ?Maps saturation of the market? I suspect it's high. I don't know of anyone that will purposely pull use the Google Maps iOS app over ?Maps, although I do sometime access Google Maps in the mobileSafari browser because it was right there.

The ONLY major thing maps is missing is transit. I understand why it didnt make the cut for iOS8- clearly they had enough on their plates- but I'd be utterly shocked if we don't see the addition in the next 12 months. Beyond that, I find maps fantastic. 

• Reply 86 of 150
    <strong>Editor's Note:</strong> This article has been updated to remove the Apple employee's name as <em>Bloomberg's</em> report has yet to be verified.

"Verified"???
    Is that even a word used by rumor blogs?
  • Reply 87 of 150
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

It's Bloomberg not BusinessWeek and they wouldn't report it unless they were absolutely certain or be liable. 

Yours is the logic that says all people arrested by the Police are ipso facto guilty, otherwise the Police wouldn't have arrested them.

Pure genius - clap.....clap.....clap......clap.....

• Reply 88 of 150
    Let's all hope and pray that the cretin responsible for this fiasco has been fired forthwith.

MEMO TO COOK: REMEMBER IN FUTURE TO HIRE A PLAYERS ONLY.
  • Reply 89 of 150

You know who's responsible for the maps debacle? Steve Jobs, and his anger at Google. It was a dumb idea to think that Apple could match Google's quality of product in this area. Apple's maps are still, and always will be, inferior to Google maps. 

• Reply 90 of 150
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    I haven't read any of the comments (yet) but if the guy was responsible for the team debugging Maps and iOS doesn't that mean we're seeing two major issues in 4(?) years? What about all the iOS releases that have passed in that time? Why isn't there anyone else checking the debugging team at Apple? This sounds more like a shortcoming with Apple's setup more than the doing (or lack thereof) of a single individual.
    And that's the problem. There is a story to be written here but Bloomberg stupidly chose to go the route of smearing a mid-level employee. Craig Federighi is fair game. This mid-level manager is not.
  • Reply 91 of 150
    Let's all hope and pray that the cretin responsible for this fiasco has been fired forthwith.

Apparently this employee has worked at Apple for 14 years which means he worked there under Steve Jobs and Scott Forstall. If aspects of this Bloomberg story are accurate one question I have is, are these issues carryovers from the Jobs/Forstall era or are they new issues that have cropped up on Craig Federighi's watch?
  • Reply 92 of 150
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,176member
    rogifan wrote: »
    And that's the problem. There is a story to be written here but Bloomberg stupidly chose to go the route of smearing a mid-level employee. Craig Federighi is fair game. This mid-level manager is not.

With Apple pretty darn good at keeping their dirty laundry out of the public eye it's entirely possible someone currently at Apple threw him under the bus. (The reporter smartly refers to one source as a former senior manager) If someone in management unwisely chose him as their sacrificial lamb it's Apple managers you should be concerned with, not Bloomberg.
  • Reply 93 of 150
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,335member

This is a symptom of a much larger phenomenon. 

Apple has become a celebrity. A "company as celebrity," who would think such as thing could happen!? But it has!

So now Apple has a hoard of paparazzi constantly hounding them, digging through their trash, chasing them in public, bugging their children's lunch boxes, digging for dirt, digging for inside information, stimulating throngs of fans, and infuriating mobs of haters. 

How and why did this happen? The obvious incubation point was having a strong, charismatic, and sometimes polarizing leader in Steve Jobs. Steve was not only a genius at getting everyone's attention but he was able to back up enough of his claims and hype with amazing, and as he would often say, "magical" products. If Apple had never been able to deliver on Steve's vision he would have been seen as just another buffoon, like so many of these others we see orbiting the immense gravitational attraction that is Apple today. To top it off Steve was able to establish a roadmap and vision to the future by building a company around amazing people like Tim Cook and Jony Ive who can not only maintain the gravitation attraction of Apple but reshape it in their own new collective image. That's what Steve wanted, a new Apple defined by its current cast of caretakers and not him. I'd say they've done a pretty amazing job in total, but as with any human endeavor there are always bumps in the road and lessons to be learned.

Love 'em or hate 'em you simply cannot escape the force of Apple's gravity. All those fan sites for competing products, Apple haters clubs, sleazeball business paparazzi like Bloomberg, the bend-it band-of-brothers, and all the frustrated wannabes who take delight in the misery of others are just as caught up in fawning over their favorite celebrity company. And just like the paparazzi who chase celebrities engaged in other endeavors they eventually go way too far and achieve unhealthy levels of loving and/or loathing.

It's all fun and games until someone gets hurt. This article more than proves that point.

• Reply 94 of 150
    gatorguy wrote: »
    With Apple pretty darn good at keeping their dirty laundry out of the public eye it's entirely possible someone currently at Apple threw him under the bus. (The reporter smartly refers to one source as a former senior manager) If someone in management unwisely chose him as their sacrificial lamb it's Apple managers you should be concerned with, not Bloomberg.

I'm not defending anyone at Apple who might have leaked his name. Apple needs to do an internal investigation and if they determine an active employee was the one who leaked to Bloomberg that employee should be fired. But it's also possible it was a former employee who leaked this guy's name and Apple can't do anything about that. None of this excuses Bloomberg for outing this guy by name. Just because a source gave them a name doesn't mean it was right for Bloomberg to publish it.
  • Reply 95 of 150
    Has it been established that the named individual was clearly responsible yet? If he faithfully followed Apple Quality Process and it failed, that's not necessarily his fault. But if he took shortcuts in the Apple Process or was using his own ad hoc process then it might be his fault. If there is no formal Apple Quality Process then he shouldn't be blamed either. Even if it was his fault that shouldn't be cause to get rid of him, but he may need to be reassigned or required to get additional training.
  • Reply 96 of 150
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Shame on this fucking pathetic website for calling this guy out like this.
  • Reply 97 of 150

How are you going to keep a job then? Everyone cant be a star player.
  • Reply 98 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member

And now we know you are a troll.
  • Reply 99 of 150
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    graxspoo wrote: »
    You know who's responsible for the maps debacle? Steve Jobs, and his anger at Google. It was a dumb idea to think that Apple could match Google's quality of product in this area. Apple's maps are still, and always will be, inferior to Google maps. 

I like it better now than Google maps and it's more reliable for me on my trips to soccer fields that are usually just some random and sometimes new park in a neighborhood.
  • Reply 100 of 150
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by anantksundaram View Post

Not necessarily, if the truth that the Sr. management of Apple knows is different from what Bloomberg reported. That said, it is indeed a trashy, cheap piece of reporting by Bloomberg.

But why is AI re-reporting it? I expect that from crap sites like 9to5Mac. I thought AI was better than that. At least MacRumors removed his name from their post.

Get a life. AI is seriously bad in what they present as "journalism". It's a crap and rumour site ... and has only entertainment value.