Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 181 of 225
    jungmark wrote: »
    pazuzu wrote: »
    No that's not my logic but your distortion of what I just said. The S series is always an improve on the prior generation. There is no change in the basic design. You fail.

So the 4S improved on the 4. So I'm glad we're in agreement.

You're right.

The 4s solved the flaw in antenna design that Ive mistakenly worked into the 4.
  • Reply 182 of 225
    You're right.

Nope.
  • Reply 183 of 225
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

You're right.

Nope.

Yep.

• Reply 184 of 225
    Yep.

Why post idiotic statements?
  • Reply 185 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Yep.

Why post idiotic statements?

Because he's trolling, of course.

• Reply 186 of 225
    muppetry wrote: »

Let's ignore the obvious fact that the 4S had to include CDMA and GSM connectivity in one design —a first for Apple — let's look at the argument that the 4S is in some different than the 4 being argued that the 4 was undeniably flawed. I guess that means that all iPhones up through the 5S were flawed, unusable pieces of crap because the design changed in some way the next year.

That means we need to look at which deisgn latest the longest before there was a YoY update to fix this egregious flaws. It turns out the iPhone 4 lasted the longest as the flagship device as they moved the rease from Summer to Autumn. How 'bout them Apples?
  • Reply 187 of 225
    Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Let's ignore the obvious fact that the 4S had to include CDMA and GSM connectivity in one design —a first for Apple — let's look at the argument that the 4S is in some different than the 4 being argued that the 4 was undeniably flawed. I guess that means that all iPhones up through the 5S were flawed, unusable pieces of crap because the design changed in some way the next year.

That means we need to look at which deisgn latest the longest before there was a YoY update to fix this egregious flaws. It turns out the iPhone 4 lasted the longest as the flagship device as they moved the rease from Summer to Autumn. How 'bout them Apples?

Entirely logical, but logic and trolling are mutually incompatible.

• Reply 188 of 225
    I smell a rat!

Samsung?
  • Reply 189 of 225
    Looks like Samsung gets to take their ad off, with a happy debate of their brainwashed users spreading the news and apple getting on offensive time.

Wish Apple would show the same tests with Samsung phones to see how strong their products really are.
  • Reply 190 of 225
    I think the latest rebut from Apple defending their iPhone6 from bending by saying it is user misusage is ridiculous and unreasonable. As a product designer myself, when we design and engineer a new product, we go through rigorous testing including the industry standard FEA (Finite Element Analysis) where the product must be put through a stress test on all levels of surface for extreme situations. What this PR video is not showing you is actual data of when iPhone bends or breaks.

In order to pass the test, we often put in multiple forces beyond realistic abuse(many times more) in order to ensure the product passes. This is quite common, and an industry required procedure, therefore I was quite surprised to see this because it could only happen to start-up with a lack of expertise or limited resources who may cut corners in order to save money.

A cell phone is one of the most abused products because it is constantly moved around and held in unimaginable places. Apple telling their customers to not to put their cell phone in their pocket is like Nike telling their athletics you can buy their running shoes, but you can only walk in them. Apple customers who bought the new iPhone 6 and 6 plus should have the right to receive a redesign phone when the company fixes the structural defect of current iPhone 6 and 6 plus.
  • Reply 191 of 225
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The iPhone 6 Plus is a curse on Apple. They never should've made it. I bet none of the executives including Ive himself even use it.

Agree.  Apple shouldn't jump on the big size wagon. it's a disaster.  i bet the next iteration will be back to the "normal" size again.

• Reply 192 of 225
    After reading some other blogs, it now appears the YouTube video is a fraud. The guy starts out saying he's going to bend the iPhone 6 +, then proceeds to show the video of him bending it at 2:26 PM, as displayed on the face of the iPhone, then returns to him saying how sad it is, while holding the bent iPhone. Unfortunately, the face of the iPhone now says 1:59 PM. So, he bent the iPhone before he started, straightened it out, then videoed his bending the iPhone at the weakened point.

Also, who carries a glass faced phone in their pocket face out? I learned that lesson over a decade ago when I smashed the face of a candy bar phone against a metal railing.
  • Reply 193 of 225

I will say up front that I have never been a fan of iphones. They were always too small in my hand and didn't support nfc, which I use a lot. That said, I ordered my wife the 6 and myself a 6 plus. I also ordered a sturdy case for both phones. I am not in the slightest worried my plus is going to bend. I carry my phones in my jeans front pocket and have never had an issue with any brand.  I have been an Android fan for years, until this last year. I have gone through 5, yes 5 Note 3's due to bad hardware and a totally horrible Kit Kat update. I believe the size of the plus is going to fit perfect in my hand. Who would not use a case on a long thin phone and then stick it in their back pocket? iOS glitch is fixed and for those who wouldn't want to protect their phones with a good case deserve what they get. I hope my first time Apple product works out. I am sure it will. Anything will be better than my Note 3. My wife loves her iphone 6. Much nicer than the Galaxy4 she had. Mine will be here Monday. I hope this bendgate thing isn't a big issue with people planning on buying the plus.  

• Reply 194 of 225
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member

The fraudster was clearly able to bend the phone with his hands, BUT a slight bend was already present. The structural integrity of the phone had already been compromised (off screen) before he attempted to bend the phone manually. He provides no real information about what it took to create the initial bend. His introduction is intended to suggest the slight bend was created merely by carrying the phone in his pocket, but he doesn't say the bend was actually created that way. A quick shot is interleaved showing a slightly bent phone in his hands, but this appears to be a shot that was made at another time at the start of the "bend test". The phone he flips around in his hands in the introduction otherwise does NOT appear to be bent.

I am guessing he started with at least 2 iPhone 6 Pluses. The first one was bent just to see what it would take and how much of a bend could be introduced with his hands. He may even have recorded the first bending. Being satisfied that a seductive video could be produced. he then recorded the introduction with the second iPhone and then recorded a second bending.

A third iPhone may also have been abused in the making of this video. Note the jump cut at about 2:40, where the phone in his hands goes from being bent backwards to having almost no bend at all(!) but with a little of the case near the buttons curled away from the display.

Finally, note that all of the iPhones continued to function after the abuse. What a weakling!

Update 1: it's difficult not to notice the nail fungus, isn't it?

Update 2: would these phones be included in the 9 that Apple says were reported bent?

• Reply 195 of 225
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,950member

Looks like someone put it in a brake press lol!

• Reply 196 of 225
    Indeed.

Sometimes, a little knowledge is a dangerous thing. 

It's no good Apple staying in their ivory tower; they need to redesign or recall the Plus. 

I guess they're hoping that this will turn out to be nothing more than Antennagate, which was a relatively minor problem. Unfortunately, I fear that this is something which will simply have to play out until next autumn, at which point they can either introduce a new, reinforced model or discontinue it. 

They should have brought out the 4.7" alone. The 5.5" they might as well call the iPhone Pox at this stage.

a recall of the most successful phone in history, because of 9 documented cases out of 10 million?

this is why you're not running anything. get real.
  • Reply 197 of 225
    You're right.

incorrect. per the data Jobs published during the press event, the number of dropped calls were statistically moot.

this is why they never changed the 4 design for the years of continued sales afterward (as the lower tiered offering). same exact phone. only an issue in your mind.
  • Reply 198 of 225
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

And when the 6plusS next year gets a sturdier encasing or discontinued , you will conjure up a different excuse.

Mmm, no. Try again. Try again for the 4S, as well.

• Reply 199 of 225
    ipen wrote: »
    Agree.  Apple shouldn't jump on the big size wagon. it's a disaster.  i bet the next iteration will be back to the "normal" size again.

nope. if people want to buy them, apple will sell them bigger phones.

it's only a disaster in your mind.
  • Reply 200 of 225
    I recently placed a wooden broom between two chairs and proceeded to jump on the broom in the middle. To my surprise the damn thing broke.
    Time for a class action lawsuit.