After iOS 8.0.2, Apple gives HealthKit apps the green light on iPhone App Store

Posted:
in iPhone edited September 2014
A bug in the final release version of iOS 8 prompted Apple to remove HealthKit-enabled apps from the App Store, but the problem has been fixed in a new update and HealthKit is once again free to roam Apple's virtual shelves.

The first app out of the gate with HealthKit support is FitPort. FitPort functions as an overall health dashboard, collecting information from Apple's built-in health app to give users a broad overview of their health.

FitPort tracks steps, walking and running distance --?in both miles and kilometers --?active calories dietary calories, weight, and body fat percentage. The activity data can be gleaned from the iPhone's built-in M series motion coprocessors, or from third-party fitness bands that synchronize their data to the Health app.

FitPort will also allow users to set fitness goals and compare their daily and weekly statistics to the previous day or week to track progression. Developers Flask LLP do note that FitPort lacks a built-in food database, so users should use other HealthKit-compatible apps to track caloric intake.

FitPort version 1.0 is available now as a $1.99, 7.1-megabyte download from the App Store.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    So, basically FitPort gives you the same info as the stock HealthApp, but just in a different design? 'kay
  • Reply 2 of 27
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    So wait... it does all the things that HealthKit currently does -- except it costs $2?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    bcode wrote: »
    So wait... it does all the things that HealthKit currently does -- except it costs $2?

MyFitnessPal seems to be a better choice.

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/26/myfitnesspal-healthkit-ios-8/
  • Reply 4 of 27

I'm guessing some devs had applications or updates queued up, and they were waiting for this to drop from Apple. Be sort of interesting to see what they come up with. I'm presuming some will be associated with BT4 sensors. 

Apple Watch is supposed to have a UV exposure sensor. An enterprising person might come up with a BT4 UV sensor to embed in a pair of sunglasses. Wonder if Oakley is working on that.

• Reply 5 of 27
    philboogie wrote: »
    So, basically FitPort gives you the same info as the stock HealthApp, but just in a different design? 'kay

bcode wrote: »

Well in the apps defense. It looks better than health, let's you add goals, and there's a ton of apps out there to replace apple's apps already...

Still not paying for it though
  • Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

The HealthKit app doesn't 'do' anything. It is a repository.

• Reply 7 of 27
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Seems to count my steps. Wonder what else it can do automatically.

• Reply 8 of 27
    bcodebcode Posts: 141member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyberzombie View Post

Au contraire, it "does" exactly the same thing the app being talked about above does.  It shows you stored data from your embedded motion detection system.  Daily steps, daily distance, stairs climbed, etc...  It can also show data from other "health" and fitness related apps.  Again, I'm not seeing a need to fork over $2 for a shiny blue skin.

• Reply 9 of 27
    justp1ayin wrote: »
    and there's a ton of apps out there to replace apple's apps already...

Valid point. And yes, th stock apps from Apple are often outdone by 3rd party apps, like the Stock, Weather apps. The one from Yahoo is simply beautifully made IMO. Sure, they use photos from Flickr users, but then apps is really well done.

/shameless plug
  • Reply 10 of 27
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,241member

Will Yosemite have a HealthKit app as well that will download your iPhone statistics and let you monitor them on your Mac? If it's already available, what's it called?

• Reply 11 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by rob53 View Post

Will Yosemite have a HealthKit app as well that will download your iPhone statistics and let you monitor them on your Mac? If it's already available, what's it called?

I don't think so, but this is a great idea.  

• Reply 12 of 27
    rob53 wrote: »

I was hoping it would be on the iPad. Not to track fitness, but to be able to look at all of the data on a bigger screen with more information layed out at once. You could also enter some of the information that requires manual input faster and easier.
  • Reply 13 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by bcode View Post

Au contraire, it "does" exactly the same thing the app being talked about above does.  It shows you stored data from your embedded motion detection system.  Daily steps, daily distance, stairs climbed, etc...  It can also show data from other "health" and fitness related apps.  Again, I'm not seeing a need to fork over $2 for a shiny blue skin.

I sit corrected. IMO, it is doing too much and should only be a repository/service. But that's the developer in me...

Still, looking at the stats it has now. ty for the info.

• Reply 14 of 27
    As was pointed out....HealthKit IS NOT just an App. It's an API and repository of information that all "health" apps can tap into and put data into so that the data is in one place. This saves developers from the boring work in storing data and frees them to do innovative stuff.
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Rather more fun, Carrot Fit is available to use with Health. An earlier version actually worked on 8.0 briefly before being withdrawn - now it works with 8.0.2
  • Reply 16 of 27
    For some reason all my step data from the past week was wiped out when I installed 8.0.2.
  • Reply 17 of 27

Hum. Well, I updated my iP 5s to 8.0.2, no problems. But the first HealthKit enabled app I use came available via update about an hour ago: Garmin Connect. The update is fine, and I see all my cycling data in their app...but it won't request a connection to the Apple Health app, and populate the data there. 

If I had to guess, I'd say there's an issue with the Garmin app. Their stuff is known to suck.

Any devs know how to force an app to request access to "Health?"

• Reply 18 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Hum. Well, I updated my iP 5s to 8.0.2, no problems. But the first HealthKit enabled app I use came available via update about an hour ago: Garmin Connect. The update is fine, and I see all my cycling data in their app...but it won't request a connection to the Apple Health app, and populate the data there. 

If I had to guess, I'd say there's an issue with the Garmin app. Their stuff is known to suck.

Any devs know how to force an app to request access to "Health?"

Anyone have a HealthKit enabled app working?

• Reply 19 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Anyone have a HealthKit enabled app working?

MyFitnessPal was updated on 9-25, and at least some of it's nutritional content is now porting to Health on my account. I'm wagering that if the data is there or not is down to the data people have entered for the food, rather than anything else. I'm pretty sure whomever entered the fat and calories from Taco Bell's menu didn't break it down to the level that Apple has on the Health App. 

• Reply 20 of 27
    Hi all. I'd like to announce that the contest for winning an iPhone is now open at: http://winaniphone6.weebly.com
    Good luck!