Apple takes press on tour of iPhone test facility to address 'Bend-gate' [updated with video]

Comments

• Reply 201 of 225
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

My 4 regularly dropped out before I got the bumper, so that cancels out your anecdote.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tinker15 View Post

My wife has a 4 without a bumper.  It never drops out, so that cancels out your anecdote. 

Quote:

Originally Posted by matrix07 View Post

My wife's iPhone 4 got normal reception since I first bought it for her until now, so that also cancel out your bullshit.

I'm with Benjamin here - I got sick of the bumper on my 4, and now I frequently have to adjust how I'm holding it,

but I prefer the feel of it this way both in pocket and hand.

Hoo-freakin'-ray for your various wives - Apparently it isn't an issue for everyone, but that doesn't make it "bullshit".

• Reply 202 of 225
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    nolamacguy wrote: »
    incorrect. per the data Jobs published during the press event, the number of dropped calls were statistically moot.

this is why they never changed the 4 design for the years of continued sales afterward (as the lower tiered offering). same exact phone. only an issue in your mind.

Wrong. It's been well documented - the antenae was redesigned and the dropped calls ceased. Name me one incident whereas it was reported to continue?
    Apple needs to issue steel bumpers for every 6+ like the antenna bumpers for the 4 or face potential class action litigation.
    Glad im on the "S" cycle. Always something wrong- testing by Apple is definitely flawed.
    Can anyone explain away the chip dings and scratches on the black 5? Was that SPACE GREY another design breakthrough? LOL
  • Reply 203 of 225
    Mmm, no. Try again. Try again for the 4S, as well.

You still haven't explained why Apple gave out FREE bumpers for the 4?
    Why dropped calls ceased to be reported with the 4S new antennae design?
    Why Apple lost a class action lawsuit involving the 4 owners and paid owners $15 each?
    This will be rich.
  • Reply 204 of 225
    Originally Posted by pazuzu View Post

You still haven't explained why Apple gave out FREE bumpers for the 4?

The same reason they’re fixing 9 units of iPhone 6 Plus out of warranty: to shut up idiots.

Why dropped calls ceased to be reported with the 4S new antennae design?.

The same reason they ceased to be reported with the iPhone 4 a month after launch: they weren’t happening as a result of the product.

Why Apple lost a class action lawsuit involving the 4 owners and paid owners $15 each?

lol.

• Reply 205 of 225
    solipsismx wrote: »
    Why post idiotic statements?

If that's not the pot calling the kettle black- what is? :lol:
  • Reply 206 of 225

The same reason they ceased to be reported with the iPhone 4 a month after launch: they weren’t happening as a result of the product.

"Apple's newest smart phone performed very well in our tests, and while it closely resembles the iPhone 4 in appearance, it doesn't suffer the reception problem we found in its predecessor in special tests in our labs. In special reception tests of the iPhone 4S that duplicated those we did on the iPhone 4, the newer phone did not display the same reception flaw, which involves a loss of signal strength when you touch a spot on the phone's lower left side while you're in an area with a weak signal. (The iPhone 4, which is still available, continues to exhibit that problem, we confirmed in tests of new samples of the phone. Because of the flaw, we continue to omit the iPhone 4 from our list of recommended models, despite its otherwise fine performance.)"

Consumer Reports November 8, 2011 - over one year AFTER the 4 was released.
  • Reply 207 of 225
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's no good Apple staying in their ivory tower; they need to redesign or recall the Plus. 

I guess they're hoping that this will turn out to be nothing more than Antennagate, which was a relatively minor problem. Unfortunately, I fear that this is something which will simply have to play out until next autumn, at which point they can either introduce a new, reinforced model or discontinue it. 

They should have brought out the 4.7" alone. The 5.5" they might as well call the iPhone Pox at this stage.

Wrong.

The video is a complete fraud. He could not bend the phone with his fungal hands without the phone having been bent to begin with. And how that initial bend was introduced is never described or shown. Multiple phones were used in the production.

Look at the two phones, each with different damage, in his hands before and after the jump cut that occurs at about 2:40.

It helps to see in the introduction that the phone wasn't originally bent at all, if you view the video at 1080p or higher. The one shot during the introduction that purportedly shows an initially bent phone was an out-take from the so-called bend test segment. How that bend was introduced is not described.

• Reply 208 of 225
    cpsro wrote: »
    Wrong.
    The video is a complete fraud. He could not bend the phone with his fungal hands without the phone having been bent to begin with. And how that initial bend was introduced is never described or shown. Multiple phones were used in the production.

Look at the two phones, each with different damage, in his hands before and after the quick cut that occurs at about 2:40.
    It helps to see in the introduction that the phone wasn't originally bent at all, if you view the video at 1080p or higher. The one shot during the introduction that purportedly shows an initially bent phone was an out-take from the so-called bend test segment. How that bend was introduced is not described.

And that explains the other eight too - right?
  • Reply 209 of 225

Consumer Reports

Yeah, immediately ignored. Try again with a real argument.

• Reply 210 of 225
    Yeah, immediately ignored. Try again with a real argument.

Your lies was exposed for what it is. Garbage.
    One month? what are you smoking?
  • Reply 211 of 225
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    pazuzu wrote: »
    "Apple's newest smart phone performed very well in our tests, and while it closely resembles the iPhone 4 in appearance, it doesn't suffer the reception problem we found in its predecessor in special tests in our labs. In special reception tests of the iPhone 4S that duplicated those we did on the iPhone 4, the newer phone did not display the same reception flaw, which involves a loss of signal strength when you touch a spot on the phone's lower left side while you're in an area with a weak signal. (The iPhone 4, which is still available, continues to exhibit that problem, we confirmed in tests of new samples of the phone. Because of the flaw, we continue to omit the iPhone 4 from our list of recommended models, despite its otherwise fine performance.)"

Consumer Reports November 8, 2011 - over one year AFTER the 4 was released.

Haha. The same consumer reports that recommended the 4 before the antenna "issue" was discovered?

Get real. Again the 4 wasn't redesigned. The bumpers was temporary and the 4 was still sold for 3 years afterwards.
  • Reply 212 of 225
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,387member
    jungmark wrote: »
    Haha. The same consumer reports that recommended the 4 before the antenna "issue" was discovered?

Get real. Again the 4 wasn't redesigned. The bumpers was temporary and the 4 was still sold for 3 years afterwards.
    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4163/verizon-iphone-4-review/2
    I had always considered Anandtech as unbiased a source as any.
  • Reply 213 of 225
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    Quote:

And that explains the other eight too - right?

At least 2 or 3 were damaged (not broken!) in this production.  Are you talking about the 6 or 7 others (at most) out of millions sold thus far?

In contrast, all 3 of the iPhone 4's I owned exhibited the "holding it wrong" behavior--when held normally. The bumper was a welcome gift--worked great, was lightweight, and provided all of the protection I needed.

• Reply 214 of 225
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Innacuracies where found in the original bendgate video.

Fandroids had a field day with the exaggerated hoax!!

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-samsung-lg-bendgate-530286/
  • Reply 215 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    jungmark wrote: »

http://www.anandtech.com/show/4163/verizon-iphone-4-review/2
    I had always considered Anandtech as unbiased a source as any.

Agreed. But that's a review of the Verizon 4, not the original 4. Their article on the IP4 antenna issue was earlier, and quite well reasoned, pointing out that indeed it could be somewhat detuned by bridging but that overall it performed much better than the 3GS. And that design did persist unchanged for several years.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3794/the-iphone-4-review/2
  • Reply 216 of 225
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,387member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Agreed. But that's a review of the Verizon 4, not the original 4. Their article on the IP4 antenna issue was earlier, and quite well reasoned, pointing out that indeed it could be somewhat detuned by bridging but that overall it performed much better than the 3GS. And that design did persist unchanged for several years.

I had already seen the same review you linked. I used the one I did because it referenced that original review to explain why the Verizon version didn't suffer from the same attenuation issue: Antenna diversity
  • Reply 217 of 225
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    gatorguy wrote: »
    muppetry wrote: »

I had already seen the same review you linked. I used the one I did because it referenced that original review to explain why the Verizon version didn't suffer from the same attenuation issue: Antenna diversity

Right. Antenna diversity almost always results in improved reception characteristics in difficult conditions. Much harder to compromise two antennas at once, whether by alignment or detuning.
  • Reply 218 of 225
    this video PROVEs the 6 Plus does NO bend as originally depicted
    http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2014/09/24/iphone-6-plus-bend.cnnmoney
  • Reply 219 of 225

It's hard to come back form a negative that took off this quickly. I doubt that video will get 10% of the hits showing an iPhone bending. As long as Apple is at the top they will have a target on their back. American's love to build up a company only to try and tear it down. I would love to know at what point a 'blogger" became a real news person. 

The bend test video already has over 37 million views. It's still a no lose situation for Apple I'm sure they could care less if you buy a 4.7 or 5.5. 

• Reply 220 of 225

Your lies was exposed for what it is. Garbage. One month? what are you smoking?

Yeah, you’ve done absolutely nothing whatsoever to prove anything you’ve said.