Where do I purchase a Factory Unlocked iPhone 6/6 plus

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014

In my attempt to purchase a Contract Free/ FACTORY UNLOCKED iPhone all I have

wound up with is a bunch of confusion. Here's how the story goes.

I checked on this Extensively today. I called the Apple Store (Online) and was told YES,

the Tmobile contract version is "Unlocked". I even called back and chatted to be sure,

and was told emphatically by three employees YES. Then I went two stores here in

New York City; 5th avenue store and the one on 14th street and was told

something different. I was told the Tmobile version is locked, but only for 40 days.

You must activate it on the Tmobile network first. After the 40 days you can  then put in a

different sim and it will automatically unlock (Must have a different sim to do this).

I then went to Tmobile, and they said that's how their version works. (the one they sell). 

I spoke to Apple Online again (4th time now) but was told at the opposite: "The Apple iPhone

Contract Free version is unlocked, does not require activation on Tmobile first, you can take

it to any GSM compatible carrier". I then asked if they are selling different version than what's

physically in the store and they could not comment on that, but only what was sold online. 

Therefore, it may be that people who pre-ordered received an unlocked version. The version

that's being sold in the physical Apple store may NOT be the one you get when your order

online. It may instead be the one tMobile will sell you. I wish Apple would really clarify this.

Does anybody else know anything different?  I would sure like to get a Factory Unlocked

iPhone 6.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5

I would GUESS that what T-Mo is telling you is BS.  I doubt there's a "temporarily" locked version, they just want you to buy their service (since they don't really make much (if any) money just selling you the piece of hardware).

(unless T-MO has some way of locking it after THEY get it... I would guess that what Apple ships to T-Mo is UNlocked when it leaves China.)

• Reply 2 of 5
    Quote:

Originally Posted by KingOfSomewhereHot View Post

I would GUESS that what T-Mo is telling you is BS.  I doubt there's a "temporarily" locked version, they just want you to buy their service (since they don't really make much (if any) money just selling you the piece of hardware).

(unless T-MO has some way of locking it after THEY get it... I would guess that what Apple ships to T-Mo is UNlocked when it leaves China.)

thing is tmobile says it will unlock automatically after 40 days.  my guess is this is when Apple will start selling handsets that it will officially call "Unlocked".  If you notice on their webpage it does not say anything about the handsets being unlocked.. just "Not Contract".  Conversely the iPhone 5s says "No Contract/Unlocked".

• Reply 3 of 5

Tmobile will unlike the iPhone also, but to complete the process you have to put in a NON tMobile sim card... This is kind of dumb.

• Reply 4 of 5

hmm... dunno then... test it out... you've got nothing to loose but 40 days.

• Reply 5 of 5

you go to the apple store, and buy the full price t-mobile version. nothing to worry about. i have one and it is unlocked.