Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 21 of 254
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    <span style="line-height:1.4em;">So, by the same token, a Youtube video can tell you north is south and you'll believe it? Because, well why would someone who eventually got 30M+ hits out of it, and much money ... lie? Completely unthinkable. Compared to that guy, consumer report is the height of science and sophistication.</span>

… What?
    You know what's great about science? The fact that its true even if you don't like the scientist doing the testing.

Who’s talking about science? What does science have to do with anything? You know what’s great about the TRUTH? The fact that it’s true even if someone claims “science” and manages to cock-up (or purposely falsify) data.

And no, I’m not making any statement whatsoever as to their methods nor the reliability thereof. My statement was made as to the general untrustworthiness of the name, legitimate testing in this instance or no.

Agreed.
  • Reply 22 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

You now believe that based on a debunked YouTube video and a handful of reported complaints?

How was the video debunked? Are you believing internet commenters over video evidence?

Here is the video... it seems perfectly legit to me.

I'm not saying this problem will affect a lot of people. I know that I treat my iPhone 4 with a great deal of respect. But the fact remains clear - the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

• Reply 23 of 254
    clemynxclemynx Posts: 1,552member
    That means journalist will now issue corrections saying that all this was a non-story.

Or maybe I'm naive.
  • Reply 24 of 254
    It's interesting how the iPhone can be independently tested to best other devices and yet these "issues" only arise when it's with an Apple product. People are actually out buying the hard-to-find iPhone 6 Plus just to destroy it, mostly in highly unscientific ways. How does that make any sense?

coolfactor wrote: »
    ...the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

What should it be?
  • Reply 25 of 254
    So what else is new.

Bring such Idiotgate incidents on. It offers some of us a terrific opportunity to take advantage of an irrational decline in AAPL. If you believe in Apple.
  • Reply 26 of 254
    I'm not saying this problem will affect a lot of people.

What exactly are you saying in your post then?
  • Reply 27 of 254
    I can break your arm if I apply enough force, but in normal handshaking this won't happen ever. That is the same with normal use of iPhone 6+, if you know what I mean.
  • Reply 28 of 254
    muppetry wrote: »
    You now believe that based on a debunked YouTube video and a handful of reported complaints?

How was the video debunked? Are you believing internet commenters over video evidence?

Here is the video... it seems perfectly legit to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

I'm not saying this problem will affect a lot of people. I know that I treat my iPhone 4 with a great deal of respect. But the fact remains clear - the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

So you are saying that it should be physically impossible to destroy a phone with your bare hands, no matter how hard you try? Is that a requirement? Does the same apply to all your electronic devices? The more controlled tests indicate a mid-plane force of over 100 lbs was required to do that. Perfectly feasible for a strong pair of hands. Substantially stronger than an HTC One, for example. But not good enough by your arbitrary standards?
  • Reply 29 of 254
    Vindication!!!!!!!!
  • Reply 30 of 254
    Oh no!

I can only hang a 90 pound weight from my iPhone 6 Plus! I wish I had chosen that Sumsung, because the weight I wanted to hang is heavier than 90 pounds!

Meanwhile there are a zillion other ways to apply stress and damage to a phone. Some of them will benefit from non-crackable metal. Almost ALL of them worry more than applying a bend equal to my own weight!

And repeating the same test will vary. How widely? You'd need to break a LOT of each phone to give that answer. CR's test are interesting but still fall short of being solid info.

Besides which, if forces this strong really happened in your POCKET, they would leave you black and blue... if not in a body cast :p

P.S. I love weaselly language like this (which I understand AI is repeating by habit, not intention):

"Earlier this week, [I]new iPhone 6 Plus owners began to complain of bending[/I], claiming the phablet flexes to the point of bending under seemingly normal circumstances like sitting down with the device in a front pants pocket."

That statement SOUNDS like "most if not all iPhone owners," when it really means "one or two iPhone owners, maybe a handful more unless they are trolls."

"Sources confirm" these days means "anonymous sock puppets post in a forum."

Try this one I made up: "iPhone Owners Are Now Being Accidentally Burned to Death." Sounds scary! And certainly true: there are millions upon millions of iPhone users. And people sometimes die in fires--now, and before now. But don't you need real numbers and correlation to make that headline meaningful? (Not when ad-clicks are at stake! Or your astroturfer paycheck.)
  • Reply 31 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

So you are saying that it should be physically impossible to destroy a phone with your bare hands, no matter how hard you try? Is that a requirement? Does the same apply to all your electronic devices? The more controlled tests indicate a mid-plane force of over 100 lbs was required to do that. Perfectly feasible for a strong pair of hands. Substantially stronger than an HTC One, for example. But not good enough by your arbitrary standards?

The responses to my comments are amusing. Why is everyone so defensive? Just watch the YouTube video. Raw proof that the iPhone 6 design is weak under uneven stresses. That has nothing to do with my standards. It's a fact. To balance that out, I recognize that the iPhone 6 stood up well to the very controlled 3-point tests done by Apple and Consumer Reports. But it fails miserably under uneven stresses. That's just my observation. I would still buy an iPhone 6. :)

• Reply 32 of 254
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    Yes, I agree completely. The 3-point tests done by Apple and Consumer Reports (that have been shared publicly) are too controlled and unrealistic.

Yes, because someone applying pressure with his thumbs until his eyes burst is a very realistic example of everyday usage. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 33 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by GadgetCanadaV2 View Post

The one thing with this 3-point stress test (similar to Apple's) is the fulcrum is spread along the width of the iPhone. These "bendgate" videos had to have the user's thumb offset from the middle and lined up with the volume control opening. The user then applied the large amount of pressure. Although I believe that the iPhone 6+ would bend in these circumstances, I also believe that these circumstances have to be carefully recreated and are not even close to how the phone is used in real life usage. In a couple weeks, we'll hear about "hammergate" how the iPhone actually broke when struck by a sledgehammer.....because you know....hitting your iPhone with a sledgehammer is normal usage.

It's not just that. Remember; there is actually a great big (apple shaped) hole in the middle of the aluminum body. The internal lengthwise carved support ridges break at that hole. And there are no vertical supports there, like there are at the ends of the body.

That Apple is a weak spot. Put your thumbs on it, with your fingers on each end… and push.

Presto.

New video:  

(hey, don't blame me… :()

• Reply 34 of 254
    muppetry wrote: »

The responses to my comments are amusing. Why is everyone so defensive? Just watch the YouTube video. Raw proof that the iPhone 6 design is weak under uneven stresses. That has nothing to do with my standards. It's a fact. To balance that out, I recognize that the iPhone 6 stood up well to the very controlled 3-point tests done by Apple and Consumer Reports. But it fails miserably under uneven stresses. That's just my observation. I would still buy an iPhone 6. :)

Ah - so your definition of weak is that it can be bent using ones hands. Is that correct? Would you happen to have a source for that definition? Other than the guy in the movie, of course. I'm not being defensive - I'm attacking the total lack of any basis for your assertions.

What's amusing, by which I mean quite pathetic, is that now that there are actual data to demonstrate that the phone is comparable to others in its class, you and others are now making stupid assertions about fulcrums, uneven stresses and such, about which you clearly know nothing.
  • Reply 35 of 254
    i carry my iphone 6 in my front right pants pocket all the time (that pocket was also home to my 5s, 5, 4s, 4, and 3gs). it's in that pocket quite a bit throughout the day. i take it out some here and there to - you know - use it. i sit. i stand. i walk. my iphone 6 is fine. i have a friend (just the one). they do the same thing with their iphone 6. their iphone 6 is just fine, too. mine did make a weird noise for a while. but that was someone calling me. who knew?

can someone send a reporter to report on that my phone is fine and my friend's phone is fine, both after having spent time in our respective front right pants pockets? i think we have a trend and i think it should be reported.

p.s.: my 5s, 5, 4s, 4, and 3gs all came through the ordeal of front right pants pocket stowage just fine, too.
  • Reply 36 of 254
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member

Your amusement is itself a good defense for you. I don't think anyone is being defensive about what you're saying. Rather, they may just be objecting to your twisted thinking.

A Porsche 911 has a design flaw. If you run it into a brick wall at sufficient speed, it will surprise you by jamming you into the dashboard as the heavy engine and transaxle comes up from behind you and collapses the passenger compartment. Best not to deliberately crash it that way.
  • Reply 37 of 254
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    OK so can rumor sites stop reporting on this stupid bendgate now?!?
  • Reply 38 of 254
    pooch wrote: »
    i carry my iphone 6 in my front right pants pocket all the time (that pocket was also home to my 5s, 5, 4s, 4, and 3gs). it's in that pocket quite a bit throughout the day. i take it out some here and there to - you know - use it. i sit. i stand. i walk. my iphone 6 is fine. i have a friend (just the one). they do the same thing with their iphone 6. their iphone 6 is just fine, too. mine did make a weird noise for a while. but that was someone calling me. who knew?

can someone send a reporter to report on that my phone is fine and my friend's phone is fine, both after having spent time in our respective front right pants pockets? i think we have a trend and i think it should be reported.

You should post a YouTube video on your channel called "iPhone 6 still straight" and it's guaranteed to get maybe 10-12 views. But if you bend you iphone silly on YouTube, then you'll earn a million+ views. That's how clickbait works.
  • Reply 39 of 254
    The Google fanboys are plain stupid and bratty guys and making stupid money. So you guys should to try making destroy Google phones videos at front Google fanboy's faces.
  • Reply 40 of 254
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    You should post a YouTube video on your channel called "iPhone 6 still straight" and it's guaranteed to get maybe 10-12 views. But if you bend you iphone silly on YouTube, then you'll earn a million+ views. That's how clickbait works.

Hey, I would watch that video. No way am I going to watch Mr. Backward Baseball Cap though. By the way, did anyone ever identify him?