Apple rumored to debut new Mac mini in October alongside iPad refresh

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 53
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,310moderator
    solipsismx wrote: »
    antkm1 wrote: »
    I'd just like to see a Mac Mini with iMac spec's instead of laptop specs.

I don't think that's likely to happen.

If it gets Iris Pro graphics, that would be enough to qualify as iMac specs. The same chip as the entry 15" MBP will rival the highest iMac for CPU performance and even the 750M for GPU performance. It would be like the $1699 iMac with 3.1GHz i7 plus 1GB 750M but for around $799.
  • Reply 42 of 53

Higher spec CPU/GPU would be great. I would hope for/anticipate 3840x2160 output. The flat ultra-small form factor is ideal for Digital Signage applications. You can easily mount the mini behind an LCD or above a projector. You can also rack mount two minis side-by-side in just 1RU. Smaller would be OK, but please not taller!

• Reply 43 of 53
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Finally! :smokey:

Now I await the specs to see if I'll buy. There is still room for disappointment.
  • Reply 44 of 53
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member

This piece of good news seems suspiciously timed to placate Mac fans, and to increase internet speculation that pushes Bendgate/Bendgazi and iOS 8 update problems off to the side burners.

But we'll happily go along with it.

• Reply 45 of 53
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    frank777 wrote: »
    This piece of good news seems suspiciously timed to placate Mac fans, and to increase internet speculation that pushes Bendgate/Bendgazi and iOS 8 update problems off to the side burners.

But we'll happily go along with it.

Never thought of it that way! However do you really believe they delayed the Minis launch by a year just to have a distraction ready to go?
  • Reply 46 of 53
    Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard69 View Post

Never thought of it that way! However do you really believe they delayed the Minis launch by a year just to have a distraction ready to go?

Nah, the product's real and the delay probably had more to do with redesign and chip delays.

But it doesn't hurt for Apple to leak that it's coming to change the current direction of the Mac press.

• Reply 47 of 53
    Marvin wrote: »
    If it gets Iris Pro graphics, that would be enough to qualify as iMac specs. The same chip as the entry 15" MBP will rival the highest iMac for CPU performance and even the 750M for GPU performance. It would be like the $1699 iMac with 3.1GHz i7 plus 1GB 750M but for around $799.

I'm hoping for a refreshed Apple display that is Retina. If they do that then I assume the Mac mini would get a much beefier GPU.
  • Reply 48 of 53
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member

If the case changes, I'd like to see it shrink in the vertical (height) dimension. The width and depth are fine, but this would allow for sleeker mount to the back of an HDTV. As long as they don't shrink it just for aesthetics, sacrificing function (cooling, processor power, expandibility) as they did with the latest iMacs (sure, thin is great, but at what cost?!)

• Reply 49 of 53
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

Be happy if they will really come out with a new MM model in Oct.

• Reply 50 of 53
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    marvfox wrote: »
    Be happy if they will really come out with a new MM model in Oct.

Just so people like me and wizard shut up for a while? : p

I've waited so long that even though I'm happy at the rumor, I feel there is still room for Apple to mess this up.
  • Reply 51 of 53

Another MM rumour....

One can purchase their way to improving the performance of some MacMini 2012 specs. This, however, makes the cost ludicrous and leaves it well behind the curve of modestly priced PC's with much better specs at lower prices. Graphics (and GPU memory), the Mini's greatest shortcomings, are now so dated as to be embarrassing. The SATA bus needs bringing up to current spec. Finally, the price must drop. It is a fab little machine for home entertainment but is quite poor quality and extortionately priced. Mac OS is a gorgeous OS and compromising it so severely with dated tech is insulting to customers and the Mac ethos.

Come on Mr. Tim Cook, give us a beauty at a low price: Mac market base will increase with such a machine.

• Reply 52 of 53

I just sold my 2008 Mac Book. Originally I got it because Apple was taking over a year to refresh the Mini. I wanted a Mini. The Mac Book contained a better chip than the Mini that came out months later. It seems that Apple regularly disappoints people with the MIni. It is always just a little less than it could be, even for a mid level machine. 

Apple has this idea that the iMac is the most awesome home computer in the world and it is the one thing that gets the love. In 2010 and the few iterations afterward the iMac became an overpriced underperforming machine that was a laptop with a stand and big screen. Only the top of the line models selling for twice the price of an HP were worthy machines. Eventually I fell out of love with Apple around 2011. 

Apple is now a phone manufacturer that dabbles in computers. I think they keep them around for prestige reasons. 

As long as I've been visiting forums about Apple there have been people begging Apple to make the Mini into a better machine. Apple keeps delivering crippled machines to protect the iMacs. Their logic is flawed regarding this. 

How many times did Tim Cook say in recent years that they don't mind the iPads cutting into the sales of Mac Books? If they can say that for iPads then they should also use that same logic and make great Mac Minis and forget about protecting the iMacs. 

If Apple does release another Mac Mini and they change it a little, still, expect to be disappointed. I've felt that way about every Mini release since I started following Apple. 

• Reply 53 of 53
    marvfoxmarvfox Posts: 2,275member

We shall see in Oct. I hope they do come out with a new MM.