Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 41 of 254
    rogifan wrote: »
    OK so can rumor sites stop reporting on this stupid bendgate now?!?

They're not reporting it, unless you mean to call what they're doing "reporting." They're echoing, cashing in for page views. I found a reputable magazine quoting MacRum0rs and adding nothing except to get an "expert opinion" from someone with no knowledge of Apple's design and production process to assert how Apple did it all wrong, simply because OMG(!) aluminum is softer. The expert had no numbers and no tests, but I was surprised that this is what passed for a "report." I won't repeat the name of that offending magazine, but it is an actual print magazine you can buy at any newsstand. What they're doing is not reporting any new facts, just echoing and distorting what rumor sites (such as this one) have dumped into the fact-free zone called the Internet.
  • Reply 42 of 254
    CNN also tried to replicate the initial bend "test" and found they could not bend the 6 Plus at all as shown in this video http://money.cnn.com/video/technology/2014/09/24/iphone-6-plus-bend.cnnmoney
  • Reply 43 of 254
    pooch wrote: »
    i carry my iphone 6 in my front right pants pocket all the time (that pocket was also home to my 5s, 5, 4s, 4, and 3gs). it's in that pocket quite a bit throughout the day. i take it out some here and there to - you know - use it. i sit. i stand. i walk. my iphone 6 is fine. i have a friend (just the one). they do the same thing with their iphone 6. their iphone 6 is just fine, too. mine did make a weird noise for a while. but that was someone calling me. who knew?

can someone send a reporter to report on that my phone is fine and my friend's phone is fine, both after having spent time in our respective front right pants pockets? i think we have a trend and i think it should be reported.

p.s.: my 5s, 5, 4s, 4, and 3gs all came through the ordeal of front right pants pocket stowage just fine, too.

I took a screenshot of your post because it was so perfect I wanted to make sure I remembered it right. I hope that is okay.
  • Reply 44 of 254
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's interesting how the iPhone can be independently tested to best other devices and yet these "issues" only arise when it's with an Apple product. People are actually out buying the hard-to-find iPhone 6 Plus just to destroy it, mostly in highly unscientific ways. How does that make any sense?

No other company on the planet generates click revenue like Apple does. It's the price of being successful I suppose. I don't believe the nonsense that Samsung is orchestrating a smear campaign; this is folks just coasting on the release hysteria to make a few bucks.

Next up: Nukegate - or how the supposedly tough Apple watch melted during a tactical nuclear strike.

"A megaton!" Dr Strangefap cried. "One measly megaton, and their vaunted $300 watch is toast!"

Then half a million Apple fans suffering from *IBS pile in and claim that an even smaller nuclear test, carried out in their own bathrooms, caused the watch to "deform significantly".

Apple responds immediately, inviting journalists to their testing facility located inside the sun . . .

*IBS
    Irrational Butthurt Syndrome - a condition common amongst Apple fans whereby a perceived personal attack by The Mothership (the cancellation of a favourite product a decade before, a refusal to build a product just for them, the UIs being too feminine, or an intense dislike for the CEO's spectacles) leads them to hang lurk in forums and attempt to keep the issue of the day alive for as long as possible, usually by quoting questionable sources and ignoring the more credible ones.

Statements to watch for: "Apple obviously didn't carry out any kind of stress testing before releasing the phone!!!"

Sometimes IBS sufferers can be hard to separate from your run-of-the-mill forum jackass, but they should treated sympathetically; after all, Apple has been mean to them.
  • Reply 45 of 254

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 80

• Reply 46 of 254
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    They're not reporting it, unless you mean to call what they're doing "reporting." They're echoing, cashing in for page views. I found a reputable magazine quoting MacRum0rs and adding nothing except to get an "expert opinion" from someone with no knowledge of Apple's design and production process to assert how Apple did it all wrong, simply because OMG(!) aluminum is softer. The expert had no numbers and no tests, but I was surprised that this is what passed for a "report." I won't repeat the name of that offending magazine, but it is an actual print magazine you can buy at any newsstand. What they're doing is not reporting any new facts, just echoing and distorting what rumor sites (such as this one) have dumped into the fact-free zone called the Internet.

Sigh.

I miss journalism.

Years ago, AppleInsider (or something with the same name) used to get some pretty cool scoops. Nowadays they just seem to snuffle around the web like a chihuahua in a leaf pile, picking out leftovers and regurgitating them for page clicks. Very sad, but very common.

If you want real journalism then you have to pay for it. You won't get it from these fronts for ad servers.
  • Reply 48 of 254
    Apple could have built phones that are indestructible but Apple users will not buy them (Samsung users might) cause we expect products from Apple to be aesthetically superior. In balance of functionalities and aesthetics, Apple came up with iPhone 6 & 6 plus - slim, light and yes beautiful!

To judge such a piece of artwork by its ability to withstand brute irrational force is like judging a ballerina by her bench press or a Ferrari by its MPG. It's totally missing the point.

Heeding from the Consumers Report though, for those who are gung-ho in buying phones that are indestructible, they should really get their polycarbonate products from Samsung - good for 150 lbs!
  • Reply 49 of 254

I'll be sad to see this wind down... it was such fun while it lasted.

• Reply 50 of 254
    coolfactor wrote: »
    How was the video debunked? Are you believing internet commenters over video evidence?

Here is the video... it seems perfectly legit to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

I'm not saying this problem will affect a lot of people. I know that I treat my iPhone 4 with a great deal of respect. But the fact remains clear - the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

Look at the amount of force he uses to bend the phone! The bender himself claimed it wasn't easy to bend!

Out of the one in a million complaints I wonder how many of those deliberately bent their iPhones? Probably most of them!

I wonder if Mr Bendit himself was one of those complaining to Apple Support?
  • Reply 51 of 254

How was the video debunked? Are you believing internet commenters over video evidence?

Here is the video... it seems perfectly legit to me.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

I'm not saying this problem will affect a lot of people. I know that I treat my iPhone 4 with a great deal of respect. But the fact remains clear - the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

Weaker than it should be? So all phones should withstand their owners applying as much force as they can with 2 hands? That's your idea of not weak? Remind everyone never to lend you any electronics ever. I can't believe you fell for that guy's video. You are precisely the problem and the reason this is a story.
  • Reply 52 of 254

But the fact remains clear - the iPhone 6 structure seems to be weaker than it should be.

A fact is something that "seems" to be the case? Hmm....

Just watch the YouTube video. Raw proof that the iPhone 6 design is weak under uneven stresses.

A video is "raw proof" of something (and a YouTube one no less)? Is the movie E.T. also "raw proof" of extraterrestrial life?

That has nothing to do with my standards. It's a fact.

Again with the fact thing. You have a very back-asswards definition of the word "fact".

But it fails miserably under uneven stresses. That's just my observation. I would still buy an iPhone 6. :)

Yes, it's an observation. But it's not based on facts.
  • Reply 53 of 254
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'll be sad to see this wind down... it was such fun while it lasted.
    Oh it will die down amongst the general public but not on rumor sites or other tech sites. Already MacRumors posters are claiming consumer reports was paid off by Apple and their test was flawed because this dude on youtube seemingly easily bends the phone with his hands. Apparently that's real world use but all the tests Apple and consumer reports have done aren't. :rolleyes:
  • Reply 54 of 254

The responses to my comments are amusing. Why is everyone so defensive? Just watch the YouTube video. Raw proof that the iPhone 6 design is weak under uneven stresses. That has nothing to do with my standards. It's a fact. To balance that out, I recognize that the iPhone 6 stood up well to the very controlled 3-point tests done by Apple and Consumer Reports. But it fails miserably under uneven stresses. That's just my observation. I would still buy an iPhone 6. :)

Everything fails under uneven stress. That guy could try bending phones all day. Some would bend and some wouldn't because sometimes he would try bending at the weak points and sometimes he would try the reinforced points. It's not science. What do you want Apple to do? Hire an idiot to bend phones all day and make engineering decisions based on where his Vienna sausage fingers happen to land each time?
  • Reply 55 of 254
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

Oh it will die down amongst the general public but not on rumor sites or other tech sites. Already MacRumors posters are claiming consumer reports was paid off by Apple and their test was flawed because this dude on youtube seemingly easily bends the phone with his hands. Apparently that's real world use but all the tests Apple and consumer reports have done aren't. image

MacRumors?? Hell... it looks like we could keep it going around here for at least another week or so... right, coolfactor!  lol

• Reply 56 of 254
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    Sigh. It would be nice if AI could shut up about this rather than continuing to perpetuate this nonsense.
  • Reply 57 of 254

I am again surprised at the Internet rage directed at Consumer Reports.  Wherever you go the CR haters are turned up to 11.  What is the deal?

• Reply 58 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

And the grimy dumbasses just kept piling on, emerging from under their damp and cold rocks, thinking that they're cute, posting fake photoshopped pictures of bent iPhones everywhere. And once again, we saw all sorts of despicable media outlets helping to broadcast and spread this lie, simply because Apple was involved. I wonder when they will offer their retractions? I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

We got the first confirmation that 'bendgate' was a lie from Apple itself, when they invited the media to tour their test facilities, where they showed how thousands of devices get tested in their state of the art lab. And now we finally have independent confirmation from Consumer Reports, which has also conducted tests in their own lab.

As soon as I saw a bendgate demo on TV, my suspicions were aroused to a targeted scam.

Since the iPhone 6 is slightly worse than the 6+ for bending, the larger screen 6+ was the preferred target.

Now what company would be very upset that Apple has come out with a large screen phone? 

Well of course, it's an obvious conclusion.  I hope they paid those iPhone benders well, they needed very strong hands !

• Reply 59 of 254
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by coolfactor View Post

The responses to my comments are amusing. Why is everyone so defensive? Just watch the YouTube video. Raw proof that the iPhone 6 design is weak under uneven stresses. That has nothing to do with my standards. It's a fact. To balance that out, I recognize that the iPhone 6 stood up well to the very controlled 3-point tests done by Apple and Consumer Reports. But it fails miserably under uneven stresses. That's just my observation. I would still buy an iPhone 6. :)

I had an aircraft design job for a 250 seat short haul aircraft. I was confident that I could make the fuselage strong enough to survive a direct hit from a food service truck with a stuck gas pedal traveling 30 miles an hour after the driver had a siezure.

That could really happen!

I succeeded in that, I'm proud to say, but was fired because the aircraft would have been so heavy that it couldn't fly to the next county let alone the next state.

Oh course, that is a B.S. story, just like your B.S. observation. Compromises are constantly made in any designed product, and in Apple's case, the design's are thin, light, metal cased, exquisitely crafted and thoroughly tested, yet they still provide usage normal to any smartphone. Incidents that are outlier's occurring at very low rates don't detract from the designer's intent, something that you fail to comprehend. 

• Reply 60 of 254
    ecats wrote: »
    I think the point is lost, that it doesn't matter if your phone can bend and bounce back, the interior components and solder joints will most certainly be compromised before that point.

It's pretty useless if the superficial cosmetic frame is intact (e.g. with a plastic frame) when the actual device is borked.

I'm baffled by the sheer number of people who don't get this point and keep regurgitating that Samsung's phones don't bend. Don't bend??? Just because it's elastic and it returns to its old shape it doesn't mean it can take a bending and keep on ticking. Bending a lithium-ion battery can also cause pretty serious injuries (fires or explosions). Springing back to its old shape does nothing but hide the damage to the battery until it blows up in the owner's face.