Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 61 of 254
    solipsismx wrote: »
    It's interesting how the iPhone can be independently tested to best other devices and yet these "issues" only arise when it's with an Apple product. People are actually out buying the hard-to-find iPhone 6 Plus just to destroy it, mostly in highly unscientific ways. How does that make any sense?
    What should it be?

Well obviously it should be able to double as a car jack.
  • Reply 62 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

Take that biatches!

I slightly pity, but mostly laugh at anybody who was so naive as to fall for the completely bogus and fabricated 'bendgate' story.

What ever happened to critical thinking and common sense? Whatever happened to waiting for real evidence to emerge, and not relying on extremely anecdotal and questionable evidence, which came in the form of one anonymous forum post and one shitty youtube video? I sure wouldn't want any of the sorry suckers who fell for this story to be sitting on the jury, if I happened to be on trial.

The people who were duped by 'bendgate' would feel right at home in 1692 Massachusetts, savagely killing completely innocent people in the most barbaric fashion available during the Salem witch trials. When you take stupidity and combine it with mass hysteria and viral videos, you get 'bendgate'.

This dumb ass generation of Youtube ignoramuses and uneducated slackers will believe and fall for practically anything. Mankind is surely doomed. How many millions of hits did that piece of junk, amateurish video get again?

And the grimy dumbasses just kept piling on, emerging from under their damp and cold rocks, thinking that they're cute, posting fake photoshopped pictures of bent iPhones everywhere. And once again, we saw all sorts of despicable media outlets helping to broadcast and spread this lie, simply because Apple was involved. I wonder when they will offer their retractions? I wouldn't hold my breath for that.

We got the first confirmation that 'bendgate' was a lie from Apple itself, when they invited the media to tour their test facilities, where they showed how thousands of devices get tested in their state of the art lab. And now we finally have independent confirmation from Consumer Reports, which has also conducted tests in their own lab.

This whole 'bendgate' myth has now officially been busted!

A few morons and Apple haters like to call Apple fans sheep, but let me tell you, the real sheep are the people who were duped by 'bendgate' and those foolish individuals who actually believed it. They're like a herd of animals who would follow a stampede right off of a cliff, to their miserable and lousy deaths, simply because that's what everybody else was doing.

You sir are the Man! My feelings exactly.

I had to shutdown a Galaxy Note wielding Best Buy wireless rep today when I tried to order a 6+ from them. She started to spout that bull crap and I just let her have it. Then proceeded to tell her that the guy on the youtube video was straining to bend the phone and that he looked like he was constipated trying to do it. She started to laugh and I asked her why she tried to spread that crap if she didn't really believe it. She stated that they even tried to bend the display but no one could do it. Unbelievable. Some folks that work in these places don't know there ass from a hole in the ground and they give crappy advice to customers who come into the store thinking that those reps know what the are talking about.

Oh I almost forgot. She also told me about selling a Galaxy S5 to a customer and when she opened the box and opened the back of the phone to show the customer that battery that the damn camera module fell out. LMAO!! I couldn't believe it. She just grabbed another one and sold it to the customer.

CNBC corrected themselves somewhat today but some of those dumb asses still doubt Apple's findings and discounted the tour of the facility. Not nearly as much reporting will be done to correct this travesty. 30+ million hits on that stupid video. Unreal.

• Reply 63 of 254
    First, most reasonable people know that this issue was overblown. 70 to 90 pounds of force isolated to a small area on a mobile phone in a front pocket is quite unrealistic in real life scenarios.

Secondly, the first YouTube video by that guy bending the phone by hand seems legitimate based on the consumer reports pencil break test. It took 80 lbs of force for the machine to break 4 pencils. The consumer reports guy, who looks to be of a lesser build than the YouTube guy, broke 3 pencils with approximately 60 lbs of force. It stands to reason the youtuber could break 4 or more with his hands. The iPhone starts inelastically bending in the CR test at 90 pounds. It took several tries for the YouTube guy to make a noticeable bend in the 6+, probably making first deformations at 90ish lbs. All that said, refer to point number one.

I would have liked to see how the latest samsung galaxies performed. Aren't they roughly the same size as the 6?
  • Reply 64 of 254
    Golly, Apple will sell an extra million phones just filling all the bend testing channels.
  • Reply 65 of 254
    "No, you probably can%u2019t bend the iPhone 6 Plus. Unless you%u2019re a bodybuilder."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/25/no-you-probably-cant-bend-the-iphone-6-plus-unless-youre-a-bodybuilder/
  • Reply 66 of 254
    notown wrote: »
    First, most reasonable people know that this issue was overblown. 70 to 90 pounds of force isolated to a small area on a mobile phone in a front pocket is quite unrealistic in real life scenarios.

Secondly, the first YouTube video by that guy bending the phone by hand seems legitimate based on the consumer reports pencil break test. It took 80 lbs of force for the machine to break 4 pencils. The consumer reports guy, who looks to be of a lesser build than the YouTube guy, broke 3 pencils with approximately 60 lbs of force. It stands to reason the youtuber could break 4 or more with his hands. The iPhone starts inelastically bending in the CR test at 90 pounds. It took several tries for the YouTube guy to make a noticeable bend in the 6+, probably making first deformations at 90ish lbs. All that said, refer to point number one.

I would have liked to see how the latest samsung galaxies performed. Aren't they roughly the same size as the 6?

I wonder if there is a way they can test various "pocket force" for different people in their various pants. Meaning, I wonder how much force is applied when sitting down with a phone in your pocket.

rf9 wrote: »
    "No, you probably can%u2019t bend the iPhone 6 Plus. Unless you%u2019re a bodybuilder."
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/the-switch/wp/2014/09/25/no-you-probably-cant-bend-the-iphone-6-plus-unless-youre-a-bodybuilder/

I don't get this use of the term bodybuilder. These are people that work their body to define it, not to make it powerful. Wouldn't power lifter be a more apropos term?
  • Reply 67 of 254
    relicrelic Posts: 4,735member
    mj web wrote: »
    Golly, Apple will sell an extra million phones just filling all the bend testing channels.

Haha, that was cute. On a side note, my son told me that the two iPhone 6's at the Swisscom shop have been bent. Can you believe people are now bending display models. I hope they caught the idiots who did this and made them pay for them. So now shops have to watch over their demo units, this whole debacle is getting out of hand.
  • Reply 68 of 254
    So I guess all those who claim that everything other than an iPhone is a cheap piece of shit will now have to resort to discrediting the experiment to support their preferred reality.

Hey look! I was right!

Not that I want or am endorsing any other phone, but seriously, this is just silly.
  • Reply 69 of 254
    notown wrote: »

The S5 and Note 3 were both put through the same test and survived without any incident, Consumer Reports even said in their report that the Note 3 took the most weight out of all the phones tested until it broke, 150lbs. I'm sure the Note 4 and Note 4 Curve will fair the same. Their plastic phones so they have some elasticity in them, they'll bend but won't break unless a very large amount of force is applied.
  • Reply 70 of 254

I love my iPhone 6, but frankly, I don't feel reassured by the Consumer Reports Test or by Apple's own labs. Their tests seem artificial compared to the way humans actually interact with gadgets. More concerning though, is that there may be quality fluctuations in the Apple supply line, as suggested by this Forbes article. 

http://www.forbes.com/sites/anthonykosner/2014/09/26/why-bendgate-matters-for-iphone-6-plus-users-and-apples-supply-chain/

The video in this article (by Hilsenteger) is also very troubling. He seems to be able to bend the iPhone 6 Plus very easily - in front of witnesses. And Hisenteger is not exactly built like Thor. He seems like a regular guy.

• Reply 71 of 254

It is silly, why would you even try to bend such an expensive phone and where is this guy getting the money to buy all of these phones, I think someone needs to investigate that aspect of the story. I'm sure there is a rival phone manufacture behind it.
  • Reply 72 of 254
    So I guess all those who claim that everything other than an iPhone is a cheap piece of shit will now have to resort to discrediting the experiment to support their preferred reality.

Hey look! I was right!

Not that I want or am endorsing any other phone, but seriously, this is just silly.

This test by CR doesn't prove anything. Note the variety of ways you can gauge the results: when it starts to bend, when it stops working, when the display and case separate, when the screen cracks, etc.

For a consumer device where is the cut off for a minimal level of force required for bending or separating? Does bending mean it's not a quality product with precision design? What would happen to a Fabergé egg under those same conditions. Sure, you don't carry those in your pocket but that goes back to my first question. Does being a lot of plastic and glue on a cheap, thick metal frame mean it's quality? For a consumer device not intended for extreme conditions I don't think so.
  • Reply 73 of 254
    adybadyb Posts: 205member
    chasm wrote: »

You might try actually watching the video and explaining how the test is somehow rigged or wrong before so proudly displaying your close-mindedness.

Would that be the video that starts with the guy bending the phone at approx 2.26 (according to the time on the screen) and is then seen rotating the bent phone in his hands with the display showing 1.59/2.00?

So the phone was either bent and the structural damage done (how we are not shown) before he managed to subsequently bend it on camera at 2.26, or he changed the time on the display mid way through the filming, or he travelled back in time to show the bent phone before he had actually bent it!!
  • Reply 74 of 254
    I think its design is optimum. Thats it.
    No need for extra weight or more thickness. If it fails in normal use, then it is not a good design.
  • Reply 75 of 254

Obviously you're not a subscriber to Consumer Reports or you'd know their recommendations are, for the most part, on the money. I've been a subscriber for over a decade and in most cases, their recommendations, including automobiles, have served me well. And they don't accept advertising. 

• Reply 76 of 254
    So… is CR and a bunch of douche-nozzles on YouTube going to buy the Galaxy Note Edge to see how it holds to being bent? My guess is that edge display is going to win durability awards.

adyb wrote: »
    Would that be the video that starts with the guy bending the phone at approx 2.26 (according to the time on the screen) and is then seen rotating the bent phone in his hands with the display showing 1.59/2.00?

So the phone was either bent and the structural damage done (how we are not shown) before he managed to subsequently bend it on camera at 2.26, or he changed the time on the display mid way through the filming, or he travelled back in time to show the bent phone before he had actually bent it!!

Clearly people look to use any negative press against Apple to create buzz for themselves so this makes one very suspicious. Has the guy explained why the time jumps around?
  • Reply 77 of 254
    The Google are getting sue from apple company. They are getting owned money to paying for apple because the Google did making dumb videos.
  • Reply 78 of 254
    You should post a YouTube video on your channel called "iPhone 6 still straight" and it's guaranteed to get maybe 10-12 views. But if you bend you iphone silly on YouTube, then you'll earn a million+ views. That's how clickbait works.

Think it might have something to do with YouTube, a Google company? I have noticed more recently, that when I search for iPhone 6, at the top of the search results are videos that are making fun of the iPhone or are Samsung products with iPhone in the tag line. Maybe Google is applying its search algorithm to YouTube now?
  • Reply 79 of 254
    red oakred oak Posts: 1,087member
    The iPhone 6 tested significantly weaker than the iPhone 5. Over 40% weaker. I'm very surprised Apple would do this. I have believe they were 100% on top of this in the design process and knew the compromise they were making

I don't see how you can justify 1 mm reduction in thinness for 40% less structural integrity. How is that a good compromise?
  • Reply 80 of 254
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,274member
    I see that some people misinterpreted my comment. I was not referring to the staged video of the iPhone bend, I was referring to CR's video of the test they performed on the iPhone and other devices. The point I was making was that it doesn't matter what your opinion of CR's car ratings or whatever nonsense is ... The machine that is flexing those devices doesn't care either. Unlike the original iPhone bending video, CR's results are accurate and verified by the video.

So raising questions or injecting FUD about CR doesn't address the reality of the tests. The truth remains true.