Consumer Reports test shows iPhone 6 Plus less 'bendy' than iPhone 6, suggests 'Bendgate' may be ove

Comments

• Reply 81 of 254
    chasm wrote: »
    I see that some people misinterpreted my comment. I was not referring to the staged video of the iPhone bend, I was referring to CR's video of the test they performed on the iPhone and other devices. The point I was making was that it doesn't matter what your opinion of CR's car ratings or whatever nonsense is ... The machine that is flexing those devices doesn't care either. Unlike the original iPhone bending video, CR's results are accurate and verified by the video.

So raising questions or injecting FUD about CR doesn't address the reality of the tests. The truth remains true.

I agree that we can assume they are accurate and above board tests based on the information we've received, but note that they only test the center of the device whereas most of these images and videos of the iPhone 6 Plus bending by hand doesn't seem to use the very center of the device as the focal point. In fact, I think it would be near impossible for two human hands from the same person, to generate that specific force. It's accurate data, but it's like testing your WiFi signal in only part of your house, it really doesn't give you a complete picture.

The only pat on the back I give CR in this case is testing more devices than I would have expected them to test and for going to the extreme to see when they split apart completely. In the end this is just a silly publicity stunt and I doubt they'll be doing bend tests on all the Android-based devices coming out for the Holiday season.
  • Reply 82 of 254
    red oak wrote: »
    The iPhone 6 tested significantly weaker than the iPhone 5. Over 40% weaker. I'm very surprised Apple would do this. I have believe they were 100% on top of this in the design process and knew the compromise they were making

I don't see how you can justify 1 mm reduction in thinness for 40% less structural integrity. How is that a good compromise?

So you're implying that the iPhone 5 was the minimal "structural integrity" that a smartphone should have? Does this "40% less structural integrity" affect usability? I don't think 00,000,009 documented cases out of an estimated 20,000,000 units sold counts as a design flaw. It's literally less than 1 in a million.
  • Reply 83 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleInsider View Post

Looking at the numbers, the iPhone 6 showed signs of deformation (bending) at 70 pounds of force, compared to 90 pounds for the iPhone 6 Plus. Complete screen separation occurred at 100 pounds for the iPhone 6, while the 6 Plus made it to 110 pounds before breaking.

The most resilient device tested was the plastic-backed Samsung's Galaxy Note 3, which bounced back from stepped stress tests until the screen finally shattered at 150 pounds of pressure. Following the Galaxy Note was Apple's last-generation iPhone 5, which took 130 pounds to bend and 150 pounds to break. LG's G3 shared characteristics with the Note 3, returning to an unbent state after each successive test, but succumbed to breakage at 130 pounds.

So the 6 is much worse than the 5 series and is significantly worse than the main competitors.

Good to know. Sticking with 5S for a few years, until Aple makes a proper phone again.

• Reply 84 of 254

All those poor iPhones being destroyed...what idiots! :no: Haters are always trying to find a way to bash Apple while iPhone sales are going through the roof. ;)

• Reply 85 of 254
    scineram wrote: »
    So the 6 is much worse than the 5 series and is significantly worse than the main competitors.

Good to know. Sticking with 5S for a few years, until Aple makes a proper phone again.

Absolutely! No one should buy an iPhone 6, especially not the iPhone 6 Plus in Silver/White with the 64GB capacity, at least not until I get mine. I'll field test it and let you know if conforms to my leg like a pocketful of cheap chocolates on a hot Summer day.
  • Reply 86 of 254
    red oak wrote: »
    The iPhone 6 tested significantly weaker than the iPhone 5. Over 40% weaker. I'm very surprised Apple would do this. I have believe they were 100% on top of this in the design process and knew the compromise they were making

I don't see how you can justify 1 mm reduction in thinness for 40% less structural integrity. How is that a good compromise?

Because perhaps that 'less structural weakness ' makes no difference in real world usage. It's called design optimization and done in the real world all the time.
    It's simple, if Apple starts getting thousands of complaints, which they have not, then start to worry. Or if there was a hipster dufass dumbass phone in pocket universal bend standard that Apple failed to meet... Oh I give up.
  • Reply 87 of 254
    solipsismx wrote: »
    that is gross with chocolate dirty pocket
    Absolutely! No one should buy an iPhone 6, especially not the iPhone 6 Plus in Silver/White with the 64GB capacity, at least not until I get mine. I'll field test it and let you know if conforms to my leg like a pocketful of cheap chocolates on a hot Summer day.
  • Reply 88 of 254
    boeyc15 wrote: »
    Because perhaps that 'less structural weakness ' makes no difference in real world usage. It's called design optimization and done in the real world all the time.
    It's simple, if Apple starts getting thousands of complaints, which they have not, then start to worry. Or if there was a hipster dufass dumbass phone in pocket universal bend standard that Apple failed to meet... Oh I give up.

I'm not bridgineer but if you take the same design of the iPhone 5 and keep the thickness of it the same but made it's length that of the iPhone 6/6+ wouldn't it not bend with less force due to the longer suspension?
  • Reply 89 of 254
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

CREATOR: gd-jpeg v1.0 (using IJG JPEG v80), quality = 80

In all certainty a properly built, structurally rigid iPhone 5 series.

• Reply 90 of 254
    Don’t care. Even a dead squirrel can point north occasionally.

chasm wrote: »
    Dear Tallest Skil:

You know what's great about science? The fact that its true even if you don't like the scientist doing the testing. You might try actually watching the video and explaining how the test is somehow rigged or wrong before so proudly displaying your close-mindedness.

Who’s talking about science? What does science have to do with anything? You know what’s great about the TRUTH? The fact that it’s true even if someone claims “science” and manages to cock-up (or purposely falsify) data.

Right on... As soon as "it's a scientific fact" is muttered, too many acquiesce under its spell in utter stupefied servitude. Liking a scientist or not is irrelevant. Science is not the Truth nor should it be confused with it.

When a scientific "fact" changes, its believers excuse this as noble pursuit, yet while this "fact" is still in effect, anyone who thinks differently is disdained & ridiculed by these same believers in self-satisfied hubristic fervor akin to Naziism.

The desires of the heart navigate the conclusions of science and even logic & reason to its own purposes. Relying solely on science as one's repository of Truth is naive if not close-mindedness itself.

Anyway, your response was spot-on...
  • Reply 91 of 254

Heh heh, lol...
  • Reply 92 of 254
    I've seen both of the Bendy YouTube videos. The 6 Plus bent relatively easily; the 6 was very hard to bend.

I'll put my faith in real-life experience, not some machine testing. Machine testing is what Apple did, and look where it got them: a phablet that no-one trusts.
  • Reply 93 of 254
    I've seen both of the Bendy YouTube videos. […] I'll put my faith in real-life experience…

OK, so 2 user-made YouTube videos are you determine what is authentic.

They be witches¡

[VIDEO]

Sorcery¡

[VIDEO]

not some machine testing. Machine testing is what Apple did…

Screw the scientific method when you have people on the street destroying an $800 phone for a few hits on YouTube¡
    and look where it got them: a phablet that no-one trusts.

I trust them more than some unknown YouTube chap looking to make a name for themselves.
  • Reply 94 of 254
    I've seen both of the Bendy YouTube videos. […] I'll put my faith in real-life experience…

OK, so 2 user-made YouTube videos are you determine what is authentic.

They be witches¡

[VIDEO]

Sorcery¡

[VIDEO]

not some machine testing. Machine testing is what Apple did…

Screw the scientific method when you have people on the street destroying an $800 phone for a few hits on YouTube¡
    and look where it got them: a phablet that no-one trusts.

I trust them more than some unknown YouTube chap looking to make a name for themselves.

And it was machine testing that produced AntennaGate with the iPhone 4.

I rest my case.
  • Reply 95 of 254
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I've seen both of the Bendy YouTube videos. The 6 Plus bent relatively easily; the 6 was very hard to bend.

I'll put my faith in real-life experience, not some machine testing. Machine testing is what Apple did, and look where it got them: a phablet that no-one trusts.

http://www.geek.com/apple/iphone-6s-are-being-bent-in-peoples-pockets-including-mine-1605177/

Interesting to me is that the reporter said it was a 6 and this wass all before the CR tests.  They also are not claiming as severe a result as most of those pouring fuel on the fire for sensationalism. I think this could be a genuine user experience.

• Reply 96 of 254
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by tastowe View Post

The Google fanboys are plain stupid and bratty guys and making stupid money. So you guys should to try making destroy Google phones videos at front Google fanboy's faces.

Oh you mean try and bend something like a LG G3 or a Samsung Note 3?  They did and both did commendably.

Well at least we have a new definition for "premium materials".  They are whatever Apple uses and do not include any material used by any other phone manufacturer.  No objective criteria allowed.

• Reply 97 of 254
    cnocbui wrote: »

Oh you mean try and bend something like a LG G3 or a Samsung Note 3?  They did and both did commendably.

Well at least we have a new definition for "premium materials".  They are whatever Apple uses and do not include any material used by any other phone manufacturer.  No objective criteria allowed.

1) How did you arrive at commendably? I see the same center point test on various sized devices but nothing in that says that any of those thresholds are either commendable or reprehensible, just a comparative value.

2) Based on your snark, gold would no longer be a premium material for jewelry because it'll bend more readily than piece of wrought iron 4x its thickness. Sounds like a wonderful scale in which to decide what is and isn't premium¡

3) The bottom line comes down to, "Is the device going to bend in your pocket or under any other normal wear and tear? If the answer is no, then there is nothing else to consider.
  • Reply 98 of 254
    The missing component in these tests is temperature. The warmer a metal gets, the easier it is to bend. It also expands.

The reports I have read from users with phones that bent suggest the phones were kept in the pocket while on a road trip on a sunny day. Not sure if a convertible was used. Whatever, when travelling the phone has to do a lot of work looking for each new radio cell and transmitter which does heat the phone up. If sun was also on the leg of the person, not only would conductive leg heat warm it from below, but radiant heat from above would add to the generated heat within. Add the heat produced from the pressure of a bending moment and that's four heat sources and two physical forces.

I had my first touch of an iP6 and 6 Plus yesterday. It felt light and plasticky to be honest, but I loved it anyway. It certainly doesn't feel as robust as my iP5. Anyone who thinks carrying the iP6 Plus in a trouser pocket is the way to transport it is suffering from delusions; the 6, yes, the 6 Plus no way Jose!

[Edited as forum software removed my 'plus' signs...]
  • Reply 99 of 254
    pazuzupazuzu Posts: 1,728member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by FlashFan207 View Post

Vindication!!!!!!!!

Quote:
    Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

OK so can rumor sites stop reporting on this stupid bendgate now?!?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by WelshDog View Post

I am again surprised at the Internet rage directed at Consumer Reports.  Wherever you go the CR haters are turned up to 11.  What is the deal?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Isn't this rich- everyone at AI LOVES Consumer Reports now. Well Kumbaya my lawd.

So now we know for certain the iPhone4 was flawed by the same rationale thinking here. Except in its case it was machine tested for over a year plus and it was deemed flawed, Apple had to pay a class action lawsuit, the antenna was re-designed when the 4S arrived, etc-  yet the idiotic fanboy trolls on here still deny it and buy this CR report as gospel.

What a sorry joke some of the posters on here are. :rolleyes: 

At least TS keeps to his earlier posts.

edited for island hermit

• Reply 100 of 254

Beside the times not matching up was I the only one who noticed how close his fingers were to the edge of the iPhone? When I watched him attempt to bend the Moto X+1 he placed his fingers and thumbs in the center.

Could Apple take legal action toward these idiots?