Apple stops iOS 7.1.2 code signing, restricts downgrading from iOS 8

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 37

That's funny, because as of 8.0.2 I can no longer sync in iTunes over Wi-Fi and now they won't let me downgrade!

WTF is going on at Apple?  Srsly get your sh*t together!

• Reply 22 of 37
    Why does that site display the version numbers wrong for Apple TV? They've even gone to there effort of displaying file names which don't exist. I can appreciate the thinking that Apple TV firmware is released alongside that for other iOS devices and they're overruling Apple's thinking to help consumers understand but it's just annoying. If Apple does what it does then accept it. The product marketing versioning of Apple TV firmware does not align with iPhone/iPad/iPod touch.
  • Reply 23 of 37
    Hi everyone. I'd like to announce that the contest for winning an iPhone is now open at: http://winaniphone6.weebly.com
    Good luck!
  • Reply 24 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by s.metcalf View Post

That's funny, because as of 8.0.2 I can no longer sync in iTunes over Wi-Fi

Works fine here!

Just started again! (edit - meaning I just started to sync again, not it just started working again. it has always worked)

• Reply 25 of 37
    Apple needs to allow developers to downgrade phones to previous versions of iOS for testing purposes.
  • Reply 26 of 37
    Wish I could get my ipad2 back to 7.. IOS8 has slowed it down soon bad!! Guess Apple has decided I need a new iPad,, but I say no but shame on you for putting out an update that destroys the performance of a device! W
  • Reply 27 of 37
    Quote:

Originally Posted by hillstones View Post

I downgraded my 4S to 7.1.2 because 8 was not a pleasant experience.  Typing response was very slow and the new keyboard features takes up too much screen real estate, leaving very little room to see what you are typing.

You can turn off the Predictive auto-suggest panel in Settings > General > Keyboard.

• Reply 28 of 37
    s.metcalf wrote: »
    That's funny, because as of 8.0.2 I can no longer sync in iTunes over Wi-Fi and now they won't let me downgrade!

Wi-Fi syncing is still working for me (well working as well as it ever did, which was never 100% reliable) with iOS 8.02 on my iPad 3 and iPhone 6, but I'm syncing to the iTunes 12 beta on Yosemite so I couldn't say if they broke anything with iTunes 11.
  • Reply 29 of 37

I still don't understand why no one has filed a class action suit over this yet.

It's insane that Apple prevents installing an earlier, better operating system. 

• Reply 30 of 37
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

I still don't understand why no one has filed a class action suit over this yet.

Over what?

If you don’t want the newer OS, don’t install it.

• Reply 31 of 37
    Originally Posted by DarkVader View Post

Because, thankfully, people aren’t that stupid.

• Reply 32 of 37
    I guess we are really lucky. My wife has been using her 4s all day, and is still at 65%. Games, email, and texting. Her battery life is at least as good as 7.1.2, maybe even slightly better.
    We are also having no wifi syncing issues with either phone.
  • Reply 33 of 37
    ipenipen Posts: 410member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris_CA View Post

Over what?

If you don’t want the newer OS, don’t install it.

Yeah, but for people who like to try it will be stuck with it and with no option to downgrade.  It's a good strategy to increase iphone 6 sale.

This versioning game is getting more interesting with every release.

• Reply 34 of 37

Then Apple should not let you upgrade to it. They have always restricted devices from inappropriate software levels. Why have they failed on the 4s??

• Reply 35 of 37
    Originally Posted by Joseph W Lane View Post

Why have they failed on the 4s??

Because they haven’t?

• Reply 36 of 37
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by AdonisSMU View Post

IOS 8 is not for an old phone like the 4s.

Quote:

Then Apple should not let you upgrade to it. They have always restricted devices from inappropriate software levels. Why have they failed on the 4s??

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Because they haven’t?

My response was to AdonisSMU, fyi Tallest SKil. If it were not for the 4s then typically Apple would restrict it's installation.  However I do agree that 8.0 ios causes the 4s to be sluggish, jerky and hesitant in it's reponses. I would go back if I could but alas too late!!

• Reply 37 of 37

My response was to AdonisSMU, fyi Tallest SKil.

And yet they still haven't.