Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 101 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

I don't think I’ll bother standing around. I truly believe that the ?Watch will be a very small seller. To put it another way, I don't believe that it will achieve even a quarter of the sales of the iPhone, for at least the next five years.

Lets do a little wager.

I wager the Apple watch will sell 40,000,000 units next year. Keep in mind Apple sold less than 15,000,000 ipads in its first year.

If they dont i will ban myself for a month.

If they do you will ban yourself for a month.

Lets see how strong your words are.

You like your silly bets, don't you?

As I said, I believe that from 2015-2019 at least, the ?Watch will sell less than a quarter of the iPhone sales for each of those years. 

If you wish to bet against that, I'd be happy to. Forget about the self-banning; you know neither of us will do it.

• Reply 102 of 281
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by SirLance99 View Post

Nope, not going to happen. The 4" size is outdated. Time to move on.

Time moves on and yet the average size of the human hand has not changed. The 5s may be the last phone I ever buy if the giant phone trend continues. I even found 4" to be just on the boardline of being too big.

• Reply 103 of 281
    xgmanxgman Posts: 159member
    whah..whah...whah... jeeze..get over it.
  • Reply 104 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

Are you still using Samsung phones?

• Reply 105 of 281
    takeotakeo Posts: 446member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by xgman View Post

If you were a size 36 waist and all the world's clothing manufactures decided that from now on they will only sell size 32 pants or smaller (or voce versa)... would just say "get over it"?

• Reply 106 of 281
    For all of you wanting apple to stay with 4" and smaller phones, I suppose it would make you even happier should we all still be using desktops built in the 80's and laptops built in the 90's. I will never understand the desires to go backwards and not forward, regardless the tech being discussed.
  • Reply 107 of 281
    Originally Posted by CaliSpecGT View Post

I will never understand the desires to go backwards and not forward, regardless the tech being discussed.

Phones too large to be used as phones is not “forward”.

• Reply 108 of 281
    I agree the sales expectations are rather high. IPhone sold only about 5+ million in the first year. Depending on exactly when you star counting.
  • Reply 109 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

Every sentence you write expressed my thoughts to a tee. I wish Jony Ive had your way of thinking.

Good to hear I am not the only customer that doesn't like the ditching the one-handed form factor and is really turned off by the portruding camera.

"You just make the best product you can, and you don't put it out until you feel it's right." Jobs, 1989

I don't feel IOS 8 and the iPhone 6 line up is the best Apple could make. Still great products but flawed in several places. Apple needs to the standards again next year. We'll see how it turns out...

• Reply 110 of 281
    Quote:

For all of you wanting apple to stay with 4" and smaller phones, I suppose it would make you even happier should we all still be using desktops built in the 80's and laptops built in the 90's. I will never understand the desires to go backwards and not forward, regardless the tech being discussed.

Help me understand what is forward of 5.5"............ 6.5"?

If Apple made a 6.5" phone and we asked them to go back to 4.7"... is that going backward?

Just curious.

• Reply 111 of 281
    mcarlingmcarling Posts: 1,106member
    I normally buy a new iPhone every year, but I'm skipping the iPhone 6. I'll wait for the 6s with the hope that it will be offered in a 4" model.
  • Reply 112 of 281

Because you "cannot use the phone" does not correlate at all to the phones are unusable. As in my first post on this thread, I will reiterate that I've been using the 6 plus since I received it on 19 Sep, both one handed, two handed, AND to make and take calls. Worked flawlessly and superbly on all fronts. Oh, and I've carried it in jeans pockets, dress pants pockets, both while walking and driving (a standard, so frequent clutch operation), ALL without discomfort or my iphone 6 plus bending into an origami swan. Haven't dropped it (not cased), it hasn't scratched, and the screen is brilliant. Those are REAL world metrics with ACTUAL use...BEST....iPHONE....EVER!
  • Reply 113 of 281
    I have the iPhone 6, and I don't have large hands. I really haven't noticed a difference in day to day use. I had to use 2 hands every now and then with the iPhone 5, same here. I think some people are over thinking a little...
  • Reply 114 of 281
    Help me understand what is forward of 5.5"............ 6.5"?

If Apple made a 6.5" phone and we asked them to go back to 4.7"... is that going backward?

Just curious.

Maybe, maybe not, but to just imply, as many in these threads have "OMG, the new iPhones are unusable, it is an affront to humanity to make any phone with bigger than a 4" screen" is absolutely absurd. The 4" form factor was left available for all those who want it...WHY am I not allowed to appreciate owning and using a 6 plus? The sales CLEARLY indicate the 6 and 6 plus were the right move. Releasing a 6 exactly the form-factor of the 5s would not have had nearly the sales of the 6 and 6 plus. i certainly would have had ZERO reason to upgrade without an increase in screen size.
  • Reply 115 of 281
    Quote:

Maybe, maybe not, but to just imply, as many in these threads have "OMG, the new iPhones are unusable, it is an affront to humanity to make any phone with bigger than a 4" screen" is absolutely absurd. The 4" form factor was left available for all those who want it...WHY am I not allowed to appreciate owning and using a 6 plus? The sales CLEARLY indicate the 6 and 6 plus were the right move. Releasing a 6 exactly the form-factor of the 5s would not have had nearly the sales of the 6 and 6 plus. i certainly would have had ZERO reason to upgrade without an increase in screen size.

Rather than changing the argument, let's have a look at what you actually said in your original statement:

"For all of you wanting apple to stay with 4" and smaller phones, I suppose it would make you even happier should we all still be using desktops built in the 80's and laptops built in the 90's. I will never understand the desires to go backwards and not forward, regardless the tech being discussed."

My point being that it isn't the size that indicates the advancement of the phone but rather, the tech that is inside of it. Your idea that keeping a 4" phone is a step backwards is absolutely ridiculous. As long as the tech inside of the phone is kept up-to-date then the phone is going forward.

In the  new argument above you state:

"WHY am I not allowed to appreciate owning and using a 6 plus?"

So... why are you so willing to not allow people to appreciate owning and using a 4" phone? Why do you say that they are going backwards?

As far as sales indicating that the 6+ was the right move... well, we don't really know that. We have no idea how many were made and therefore how many were sold. Give it about 6 months and we might have some idea.

The one thing we definitely won't ever know is how well an updated 4" would have sold. For all we know it might have sold better than the 5.5".

• Reply 116 of 281
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I will never understand the desires to go backwards and not forward, regardless the tech being discussed.

Sorry, TS, they are not too large to be used as phones - most cellular phones since, their inception (before iPhones), 

were much larger.  They are too large to be merely phones, but that's the point - that's their evolution.

I'm not sure yet how comfortable I'll be with it either - I just don't agree that it's stupid or pointless.

• Reply 117 of 281
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    Great read! When i got the 6 on firts day :) i was happy because new iphone (oh yeah) and concern at the same time because of the size. But after holding it and handling it for a while i have to say that my hands adjusted pretty well to the 6. I havent had to change much of the way i hold my iphone but i still prefer a 4" screen. I think the 4" screen is much more manageable to me! Over all i like my new iphone and im pretty happy with it! 6plus just too big IMO Apple bring back 4" please!
  • Reply 118 of 281
    I've had my iPhone 6 for 8 days now and I have no idea how I ever managed with the '4S' and the '5S'. The 'iPhone 6' seems to be the sweet spot for a smart phone. The '6 Plus' just seems too big to carry around, the '5S' now seems too cramped and narrow . The '6' is just right as Goldielocks would say.

I will say that the screen on the '6 Plus' is just drop dead beautiful.
  • Reply 119 of 281
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Brilliant review, one of the most unbiased articles I've ever read.

• Reply 120 of 281
    Wow so much ego over "what I want is normal, what you want is weird".

Apple started with one type of phone. Now they have 4.

Likewise their desktops, started with one range, now have about 8 types of laptops and desktops.

Overtime they could easily expand the phone range.

They have address first prefer priorities, but things like better cameras, durabity and waterproofing will become standard with time (maybe after competitors get too far ahead of Apple).

Oh.... Apple don't make niche products? Their top shelf products have always been niche. And nice money makers too.