After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 221 of 429
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    And Fandroids were having a party over this:

http://www.androidauthority.com/htc-samsung-lg-bendgate-530286/
  • Reply 222 of 429
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    cali wrote: »

Hilarious really. They manage to get over (as in pretend it didn't happen) the unbelievable success of the iPhone 6 sales by watching a fake, edited video. Simple things please simple minds I guess.
  • Reply 223 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by cali View Post

Fascinating. I lasted a few minutes reading that forum but the sheer, overwhelming ignorance and stupidity was just to much. I couldn't find a single post that resembled a reasoned discussion. Who are these people?

• Reply 224 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by muppetry View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:
    Originally Posted by herbapou View Post

40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenu for him.  I think the guy is pretty happy with its video.

Regarding the legitimacy of the video, the guy made another video on the street with a brand new phone and he bend it with ease. After seeing this I think Apple should halt production and redesign it before too many are made. Its also obvious the guy knows exactly where the weak spot is, which is not in the middle of the phone.

I posted yesterday; the weak spot is the great big Apple logo shaped cut-out hole in the aluminum body. (Duh)

Grab the iPhone; put your Thumb on the Apple window hole; and push…  (Duh)

That's not going to be the failure point in that bending mode. The axis in question is parallel to the back plate, so that plate provides very little rigidity. The resistance to that bending mode is provided by the structural components orthogonal to the axis - the sides of the phone and the internal reinforcing struts.

I don't know what the hell you just said.

The weakest point (section, technically) is where there is the least amount of metal.

Draw a line across the body, from (roughly) volume button cut-out to sleep button cut-out (running right across the giant Apple logo cut-out), and presto… Weakest part of the body.

"Sides of the phone" are weakest where I have just described them.

Not sure what you are referring to as "internal reinforcing struts". If you are talking about the longitudinal "ridges" carved into the case? They all end (fail) at the logo cutout. Weakest part of the body

OK - what I was trying to explain is that the back plate of the phone (where the cut-out is) is not a significant structural element when it comes to the bending mode in question. A rectangular plate is only stiff about one of its three principle axes - the one that is orthogonal (perpendicular) to the plane of the plate. It is hard to deform a plate in its own plane by shearing or bending. On the other two axes, which represent folding the plate (as is the case here), a plate is very weak. The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements that support the buttons etc.), and so putting a cut-out in the back plate makes little or no difference to the failure load. The fact that the failure coincides with the cut-out location is pure coincidence - if the cut-out were at the top or bottom of the phone it would still fail where it does now - the location where the sides of the phone are weakest due to the button cut-outs.

"The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements"…)

That's right. It's not the back plate; it's (just as you say) the "ridges and vertical elements".

In this case, there are 1/2 dozen or so, vertical strengthening ridges that have been cut across their length weakening them. And the vertical elements of the sides themselves have had holes cut in them for the buttons, weakening them. This is fact.

Presto

• Reply 225 of 429
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,727member
    muppetry wrote: »
    Fascinating. I lasted a few minutes reading that forum but the sheer, overwhelming ignorance and stupidity was just to much. I couldn't find a single post that resembled a reasoned discussion. Who are these people?

13 year olds?
  • Reply 226 of 429
    muppetrymuppetry Posts: 3,331member
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenu for him.  I think the guy is pretty happy with its video.

Regarding the legitimacy of the video, the guy made another video on the street with a brand new phone and he bend it with ease. After seeing this I think Apple should halt production and redesign it before too many are made. Its also obvious the guy knows exactly where the weak spot is, which is not in the middle of the phone.

I posted yesterday; the weak spot is the great big Apple logo shaped cut-out hole in the aluminum body. (Duh)

That's not going to be the failure point in that bending mode. The axis in question is parallel to the back plate, so that plate provides very little rigidity. The resistance to that bending mode is provided by the structural components orthogonal to the axis - the sides of the phone and the internal reinforcing struts.

The weakest point (section, technically) is where there is the least amount of metal.

Draw a line across the body, from (roughly) volume button cut-out to sleep button cut-out (running right across the giant Apple logo cut-out), and presto… Weakest part of the body.

Not sure what you are referring to as "internal reinforcing struts". If you are talking about the longitudinal "ridges" carved into the case? They all end (fail) at the logo cutout. Weakest part of the body

OK - what I was trying to explain is that the back plate of the phone (where the cut-out is) is not a significant structural element when it comes to the bending mode in question. A rectangular plate is only stiff about one of its three principle axes - the one that is orthogonal (perpendicular) to the plane of the plate. It is hard to deform a plate in its own plane by shearing or bending. On the other two axes, which represent folding the plate (as is the case here), a plate is very weak. The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements that support the buttons etc.), and so putting a cut-out in the back plate makes little or no difference to the failure load. The fact that the failure coincides with the cut-out location is pure coincidence - if the cut-out were at the top or bottom of the phone it would still fail where it does now - the location where the sides of the phone are weakest due to the button cut-outs.

"The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements"…)

That's right. It's not the back plate; it's (just as you say) the "ridges and vertical elements".

In this case, there are 1/2 dozen or so, vertical strengthening ridges that have been cut across their length weakening them. And the vertical elements of the sides themselves have had holes cut in them for the buttons, weakening them. This is fact.

Presto

Oh - I see what you are getting at. I'm surprised that the central ridges (that would be missing due to the logo) are tall enough without compromising usable volume to contribute much strength, but I haven't seen the details. 

• Reply 227 of 429

Actually, it looks a little bent on this billboard! Was Apple trying to deflect a rumor it surreptitiously started through subliminal persuation? 

• Reply 228 of 429
    poochpooch Posts: 768member
    HeavingBeasts says it best at http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2014/sep/25/skinny-jeans-ruin-iphone-wallet-sperm-problems

[quote]
    My first day with the Apple iphone 6 plus, I decided to go for a stroll in the park in my skinny jeans. Unbeknownst to me, the phone was bending in my pocket and the battery eventually cracked.

The battery acid, released from the cracked battery, denoted the bic in my skinny jean's pocket. This, in turn, instantly ignited my Skinnys and turned each one of my legs into billowing fiery tornadoes.

As I ran down New Street screaming for help, I thought to myself, "I really love the iPhone 6's sleek design and user accessibility. It's a great phone but it has the one drawback of occasionally fusing your penis and testicles into one gooey amalgamation of flesh and hair".[/quote]
  • Reply 229 of 429
    Samsung and Google and learning the hard way.
  • Reply 230 of 429
    alfiejralfiejr Posts: 1,524member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalclips View Post

13 year olds?

nah, just bitter basement boys.

• Reply 231 of 429
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,329member
    Quote:

Presto

Actually, I would dispute that, and hold one of the photos that Apple had of an iPhone twisting, showing the screen connected structurally to the "tub". You would be correct it the screen wasn't structurally connected to the "tub" but it is and that takes a significant load, in shear, bending and torsion and also enables higher loads to be taken in the back panel as well. In truth, the cutouts aren't a weak point in the design until the connection with the screen fails, then all of the loading is transmitted to the thin edges of the tub, which fails with little additional load.

A simple illustration is that the "tub" has the cross section of an channel beam, a "c" shape channel with the ends capped, packed with electronics, and is weak in bending and torsion, but cap the top off with a structural connection to the screen, and it behaves like a square tube with ends, a box, and distributes the loads on the opposite faces of depending on the direction of the bend.

Once the connection between the screen and the tub starts to fails, then loads mostly shifts to the edges as the screen separates, and the back is unable to provide much resistance to load. Its actually well engineering within the context of usage.

It's easy to mimic this behavior with paper or cardboard cut and folded to the size of an iPhone, and glued into a box. Then try it by cutting out the screen segment and see how weak it is comparatively.

EDIT: 

I would add that internal ribs are great, but their purpose is essentially to keep the back surface planar as it wrinkles/buckles under loads exceeding the design parameters. Think of them as ribs and spar(s) in an aircraft wing, where the skins carry a sizable portion of compression and tension loads generated by lift in flight.

• Reply 232 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by AppleSauce007 View Post

Very good editorial.

I bought a gold iPhone 6 and it is absolutely awesome.  

I immediately noticed how amazing the new camera and built in speakers are in such a slim and slick package.

I need time to learn all the new hardware and software features.

http://www.infoworld.com/article/2687773/mobile-technology/mobile-technology-164599-ios-8-tips-and-tricks-you-need-to-know.html

The competition is certainly scrambling now just like they did when the first iPhone was released.

The features like 64 Bit CPU & iOS 8, Touch ID, Apple Pay / Passbook, Health Kit, Home Kit, AirPlay, Air Drop, CarPlay, FaceTime, iBooks, iTunes U, Apple Maps, SIRI etc... all work seamlessly together and are not so easy to copy.

Even worse for the competition, Apple is not done releasing products this year.

I am looking forward to the new iPads running the exclusive new SIRI + Watson Analytics business applications.  Star Trek anyone? 

http://www.ibm.com/analytics/watson-analytics/?S_CMP=wacom

http://techcrunch.com/2014/09/16/ibms-new-watson-analytics-wants-to-bring-data-to-the-masses/

It's a whole new gold rush folks.

Apple knocked out the competition by simply announcing the iWatch.  It will create a media frenzy early next year.

New AppleTV platform will likely come out next year.

OK.  Let me just stop here.  The competition is toast already.

The SIRI + Watson marriage is interesting as this could potentially interrupt a lot of stuff!  Microsoft and Google will struggle to compete with Apple if this relationship with IBM takes place.  Somebody smarter than me please help explain what this relationship could bring.  This is exciting for Apple and IBM.  Just think about the impact if SIRI/Watson could be imbedded into IOS devices?  WOW!

• Reply 233 of 429
    Interesting editorial, but it doesn't answer the simple question we all need to know: can we put the 6 or 6 plus in our front and back pockets and sit down without bending it? Apple hasn't actually said. Consumer reports hasn't said. You have not said.

People are highly opinionated, from: no problem, to: of course not. But which is it?

Given that answers are so deeply divided, consumers need the right answer so that they know how to use it properly.

See my post that takes Apple to task for lack of clarity at

http://gregbates.info/bendgate-may-bite-apple-in-the-butt/

Care to take this on?

Greg
  • Reply 234 of 429

I think everybody that owns an iPhone 6 Plus should try to bend it as hard as they can. If it does bend the Youtube guy is correct. If it does not bend Apple is correct. 

• Reply 235 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Connie View Post

I think everybody that owns an iPhone 6 Plus should try to bend it as hard as they can. If it does bend the Youtube guy is correct. If it does not bend Apple is correct. 

Good idea. We'll know the proof of the pudding then.

• Reply 236 of 429
    cali wrote: »

Hilarious really. They manage to get over (as in pretend it didn't happen) the unbelievable success of the iPhone 6 sales by watching a fake, edited video. Simple things please simple minds I guess.

muppetry wrote: »

Do "we" have forums here where "we" discuss Android issues at such length?
  • Reply 237 of 429
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,213member

Do "we" have forums here where "we" discuss Android issues at such length?
    Often when DED does his weekend editorials.
  • Reply 238 of 429
    Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

Presto

Oh - I see what you are getting at. I'm surprised that the central ridges (that would be missing due to the logo) are tall enough without compromising usable volume to contribute much strength, but I haven't seen the details. 

I agree with that. I'm sure they don't add much. But I assume they were carved there to add at least 'some'.

• Reply 239 of 429

Does anyone know how much you can get for a three year old Samsung or other Android phone? I just sold my 4s back to Verizon for a cool $200, in effect giving me my iPhone 6 for free. Someone also offered me $600 for my old G4 Cube, considering it's 13 years old that's not a bad offer. I wouldn't sell it anymore than I would sell my original 128k Mac or my SE30 or my original Newton Message Pad. I wonder how much a 13 year old PC is going for?

You Apple bashers just don't get it do you?

• Reply 240 of 429
    Apple reported they had had a total of NINE returns for bent iPhone 6 pluses earlier this week. I'm still waiting to see regular customer reports of bending in normal use. So far, none have made the news outlets or online blogs.