New Hacks and Mods Site

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
I have a new web site set up for computer hacks and mods called kDesign. The site is <a href="http://kdesign.n3.net/"; target="_blank">http://kdesign.n3.net/</a>. It is actually hosted on an iDisk. :cool: I just switched to mac.com to host it after my previous host decided to delete my account and site for no reason (luckilly I do all my work locally so I still have the page ).

The only thing that isn't working is the forums - I hope to have another place to host those soon.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 12
    Oops - There is a problem with my site that I am correcting now: The E-Mail address for submissions is [email protected].
  • Reply 2 of 12
    I have updated my <a href="http://kdesign.n3.net/"; target="_blank">kDesign web site</a> a bit. I need some hacks and mods to display there, so feel free to submit some!!
  • Reply 3 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>I have updated my <a href="http://kdesign.n3.net/"; target="_blank">kDesign web site</a> a bit. I need some hacks and mods to display there, so feel free to submit some!! </strong><hr></blockquote>

i guess i'm baffled. you're a member of an apple rumor site, you host your personal site on mac.com, you have links to both apple.com, and macosrumors, BUT, your signature is (IMO) very anti-Apple, and the only mac related page at your site is basically, "Apple sucks, cuz i broke my iBook".

WTF?!
  • Reply 4 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by concentricity:

<strong>

i guess i'm baffled. you're a member of an apple rumor site, you host your personal site on mac.com, you have links to both apple.com, and macosrumors, BUT, your signature is (IMO) very anti-Apple, and the only mac related page at your site is basically, "Apple sucks, cuz i broke my iBook".

WTF?!</strong><hr></blockquote>

Sorry - Apple did repair my iBook, and it is working much better now, and I am happy. About my signature...it is not anti-Apple - I like the Mac hardware, and use OS X 100% of the time (being 500% better than OS 9), although I don't like the fact that OS 10.1 didn't make my G3 iBook faster than 10.0.x. G4s, on the other hand, received a huge speed boost, and now G3 users like me are left behind in the dust. Also, I'm not saying I like M$ products either (M$ is evil). Linux is my OS of choice, then Mac OS, and way at the bottom of the list, Windoze.
  • Reply 5 of 12
    brussellbrussell Posts: 9,812member
    [quote]Originally posted by kHack:

<strong>OS 10.1 didn't make my G3 iBook faster than 10.0.x. G4s, on the other hand, received a huge speed boost, and now G3 users like me are left behind in the dust.</strong><hr></blockquote>

The 10.1 improvements had nothing to do with the G4.
  • Reply 6 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by BRussell:

<strong>

The 10.1 improvements had nothing to do with the G4.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Anyway - What do you think of my site? Also, I need some hacks and mods to put there. So if you know anyone that has some (or if you have some), let them know about the site!
  • Reply 7 of 12
    [quote] The 10.1 improvements had nothing to do with the G4.

<hr></blockquote>

That's not entirely true. G4 owners saw more of an increase in performance with OS X than did G3 owners. This is because many of the optimizations for 10.1 were dependent upon Altivec. So in a sense, 10.1 improvements did have something to do with the G4.
  • Reply 8 of 12
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Hmmm, I'm surprised they fixed anything at all. You're hosting a website on your iDisk (well, Apple's iDisk really) dedicated to hardware hacks... and you just happen to have a broken trackpad, latch, whining hard drive, screwed up indicator lights, f'ed up power adaptor connection, etc, etc...

And that plastic border that your stiff hinge broke... wouldn't have been trying to take that off for a hack, now would you? You know, sand the white paint out, put a custom logo into the Apple symbol, something like that?

Just making an observation here... feel free to flame away.
  • Reply 9 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by Junkyard Dawg:

<strong>This is because many of the optimizations for 10.1 were dependent upon Altivec.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Proof? The optimizations I heard about involved rewriting the window-drawing code and improving network and disc access code, as well as app-launch time. Nothing to do with Altivec, as far as I know.

And my own subjective impression was that 10.1 had just as big of an impact on G3s as G4s. I had a B&W G3 350Mhz at the time that I upgraded from 10.0.4 to 10.1, and actually saw more improvement than I saw on my dual 800, probably because the dual was already faster to begin with.

I know of no evidence that the 10.1 upgrade was Altivec-specific.

[ 02-04-2002: Message edited by: BRussell ]</p>
  • Reply 10 of 12
    g4dudeg4dude Posts: 1,016member
    10.1 DOES benefit greatly from AltiVec, there's no argument here, it DOES.
  • Reply 11 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>Hmmm, I'm surprised they fixed anything at all. You're hosting a website on your iDisk (well, Apple's iDisk really) dedicated to hardware hacks... and you just happen to have a broken trackpad, latch, whining hard drive, screwed up indicator lights, f'ed up power adaptor connection, etc, etc...

And that plastic border that your stiff hinge broke... wouldn't have been trying to take that off for a hack, now would you? You know, sand the white paint out, put a custom logo into the Apple symbol, something like that?

Just making an observation here... feel free to flame away. </strong><hr></blockquote>

Uh...Hack? Mac? No-no-no!!! The only computer hacks I've ever done were taking PC parts and putting them in a Tower made out of K'NEX, which broke, so now I made a K'NEX Cube. No - I've left my iBook intact (IT is the one that fell apart on me...and I've never dropped, thrown, or even set it down hard. UGH)

This sounds like a lack of quality from Apple. And the HD manufacturers that give them noisy hard drives. My Macintosh Performa 630CD, for example, runs EXACTLY how it ran in 1994, complete with a nice quiet 250MB hard disk. And IT has taken quite a bit.

hehe
  • Reply 12 of 12
    [quote]Originally posted by G4Dude:

<strong>10.1 DOES benefit greatly from AltiVec, there's no argument here, it DOES.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Oh, OK. You used capitals, it must be true. Maybe if you use bold, too, you'll really be convincing.

Just show me some evidence and I'll be a believer like you.