After Apple Inc. dodged the iPhone 6 Plus BendGate bullet, detractors wounded by ricochet

Comments

• Reply 261 of 429
    Perhaps it's because some opinions are far better in formed than others. DED is on of the best informed opinions on Apple there is. . . and so is mine. Your's, not so much.
  • Reply 262 of 429
    I love Apple, but...

The WWDC this year was exciting; there was a palpable buzz in the air. I'm sure we we will see the fruits of Swift, Metal etc. in the years to come.

This September, however, hasn't gone by without some big event being marred by controversy.

Firstly, we had the live stream keynote that caused me to want to hurl my iPhone at the screen due to the constant freezing. Its main highlight was the ?Watch, a product that was announced with no definite date, no indication of battery life and no price, unlike the first iPhone. Technologically, the digital crown takes us back to a time before the iPhone with its needlessly confusing interface. Telling was the share price: it rose strongly during the Apple Pay demo and dived during the ?Watch demo. It finished with U2 and Cook in a protracted embarrassing fizzling out.

Secondly, we had the preorder nightmare, in which Apple found it impossible to enable the Apple faithful to buy iPhones online without tearing their hair out.

Thirdly, we had the Chinese scalpers dominating the lines in NYC, casting a slur on what should have been an innocent reflection of Apple's popularity.

Fourthly, we had BendGate, which made me realise that Apple should have brought out the 6 in two sizes: 4" and 4.7".

Finally, we had 8.01, a disaster that DED neglects to mention in his article here. People like Slurpy were cussing at all those who were affected, saying that all companies make mistakes and that anyone who updated immediately was an idiot.

Whilst I'm looking forward to buying probably the iPhone 6, and very looking forward to the new iPads, I feel that this has been a torrid time in Apple's history, and is indicative of a failure of leadership at the very top. As a shareholder, this is not a state of affairs that I wish to continue.

Tim Cook needs to examine what his priorities are as CEO of Apple, because at the moment, Apple are not doing justice to Steve Jobs's legacy.

Your points are all weak and refutable except for the one about 8.0.1 release. But that was completely overshadowed by the inaccurate media coverage and retractions. I would be happy to go over point by point with you but wont waste time unless you reply.
  • Reply 263 of 429
    rayzrayz Posts: 814member
    herbapou wrote: »
    40 millions hits on Youtube = over $150 000 in revenu for him.  I think the guy is pretty happy with its video.

Regarding the legitimacy of the video, the guy made another video on the street with a brand new phone and he bend it with ease. After seeing this I think Apple should halt production and redesign it before too many are made. Its also obvious the guy knows exactly where the weak spot is, which is not in the middle of the phone.

Yes, and Ferrari should start armour-plating their cars. I mean the fact that the bodywork can be deformed by a sledgehammer … oh, the humanity!
  • Reply 264 of 429
    rayz wrote: »
    Yes, and Ferrari should start armour-plating their cars. I mean the fact that the bodywork can be deformed by a sledgehammer … oh, the humanity!

And a sledgehammer is a lot less force than a car would face on an impact at top speed so it's clearly a design flaw¡
  • Reply 265 of 429
    dewme wrote: »
    Now that the bafoonery is being evaporated by the bright light of truth we can now concentrate on enjoying the fruits of Apple's labor.

Just received shipping notification that my 128 GB Silver Six Plus will arrive on October 2. When I pre-ordered the expected delivery was between October 15-20. I hope all of you who were on backorder for the Six and Six Plus have similar good news this week.

Glad to see Apple and their partners have kept their eyes on the prize while the parade of clowns that puts on their yearly show after big Apple announcements completed their theatrical performance. At least we got something to laugh at while we anxiously awaited the arrival of our new digital companions.

Let's all give a polite golf clap to the entertainers as they move along. See ya'll next year! Start working on your new material. We're counting on you for a laugh or two and some idle distraction to make the wait easier and less boring. Move along now...

2015: Piledrivergate
    2016: Jackhammergate
    2017: TacticalNuclearDevicegate

2018: Zombiegate — where a blogger generated ten billion bitcoins in page hits by showing himself repeatedly rapping an advancing corpse on the nose with his Apple Watch while crying "Look! Look! It's still coming!" The blogsphere goes wild and demands Tim Cook's head, calling the Apple Watch's lack of zombie stopping power a 'structural design fault'. DED, writing from his asylum cell, points out that the Samsung Wristy Mark 80 not only fails to halt the undead, but fails to stop them with much less style.
  • Reply 266 of 429
    Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

And a sledgehammer…

Ah, that reminds me.

OH NO THE IPHONE 6 SHATTERS WHEN HIT WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER AFTER BEING SOAKED IN LIQUID NITROGEN THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A DEFECTIVE DESIGN I REGULARLY BATHE IN LIQUID NITROGEN AND HIT MYSELF WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER SO APPLE SHOULD GIVE ME A NEW PHONE THIS IS A TRAVESTY I’M SUING.

• Reply 267 of 429
    Sorry to say... the Cube's design might have been awesome but the execution of the final product was flawed... cracks in the plastic were very common... and the on/off button didn't always work.

It was Apple's Edsel.

I've been working with Macs for years. I've never seen a cracked Cube case. The so-called "cracks" we're mould lines in the polycarbonate case. For you to call it mere "plastic" demonstrates your ignorance and the fact that you are merely spouting back the FUD you've read spread by other ignorant bloggers.
  • Reply 268 of 429

Ah, that reminds me.

OH NO THE IPHONE 6 SHATTERS WHEN HIT WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER AFTER BEING SOAKED IN LIQUID NITROGEN THIS IS OBVIOUSLY A DEFECTIVE DESIGN I REGULARLY BATHE IN LIQUID NITROGEN AND HIT MYSELF WITH A SLEDGEHAMMER SO APPLE SHOULD GIVE ME A NEW PHONE THIS IS A TRAVESTY I’M SUING.

[vid]

I need to make a conscious effort to not give these people any more page hits so they can turn quick profit exploiting the success of others. These are modern day Jerry Springer episodes.
  • Reply 269 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Swordmaker View Post

I've been working with Macs for years. I've never seen a cracked Cube case. The so-called "cracks" we're mould lines in the polycarbonate case. For you to call it mere "plastic" demonstrates your ignorance and the fact that you are merely spouting back the FUD you've read spread by other ignorant bloggers.

When I pay for something that is supposed to have style and I receive an item that has what appear to be cracks, then I don't care what name you give to it. If I am told ahead of time that there will be mould lines in the finished product and that those lines are a part of the aesthetic then I have a choice as to whether I want to buy that product. Obviously that wasn't the case with the Cube as it went down as a sales disaster.

As far as polycarbonate plastic... so... you are saying it isn't a type of plastic? I don't remember adding the word "mere" to my post. If it's a type of plastic then it's plastic.

I see that you din't bother bringing up the faulty on-off button. Again, when I buy a product I really don't want to have to apply shims to something that is supposed to just work.

• Reply 270 of 429
    droidftw wrote: »
    It's good to see that DED is finally writing about a topic that he's an expert on!  :lol:

Are you … laughing at your own joke?
  • Reply 271 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Suddenly Newton View Post

Whether an iPhone 6 owners experiences this issue under normal use (and how they feel about it) is between them and Apple, Inc, and the phone is covered under warranty. As a third party to this, you are not owed anything. If you want to buy one and break it for your amusement, go right ahead.

Deliberately bending an iPhone is a new IQ test.  If you apply enough pressure to an electronic device, you are stupid.

• Reply 272 of 429
    Originally Posted by TomMcIn View Post

If you apply enough pressure to an electronic device, you are stupid.

The moron is the SI unit for that. Generally phones are only rated to a couple hundred millimorons.

• Reply 273 of 429
    rpt wrote: »

Thanks for an interesting view, but I think you are wrong. The iPhone is probably the most valuable industrial product in the world, and I believe that the attacks we see are are not random nor based on impulse or simple reflexes, but really  based on the fact that changing the sales of a product that valuable only slightly has real financial impact.

Fair point, but I disagree. Apple's competitors are simply seizing an opportunity to slow the juggernaut, and it would a disservice to their shareholders if they didn't try … something. No, this is the price of unparalleled success and the economics of the Internet.

1. Page clicks = easy money
    2. Bad news generates more clicks than good news.
    3. If it ain't Apple then no one cares.
  • Reply 274 of 429
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by tmay View Post

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

"The structural resistance to bending the phone is not the back plate, it is provided by the sides of the phone and the vertical internal structures (including the ridges and the vertical elements"…)

That's right. It's not the back plate; it's (just as you say) the "ridges and vertical elements".

In this case, there are 1/2 dozen or so, vertical strengthening ridges that have been cut across their length weakening them. And the vertical elements of the sides themselves have had holes cut in them for the buttons, weakening them. This is fact.

Presto

Actually, I would dispute that, and hold one of the photos that Apple had of an iPhone twisting, showing the screen connected structurally to the "tub". You would be correct it the screen wasn't structurally connected to the "tub" but it is and that takes a significant load, in shear, bending and torsion and also enables higher loads to be taken in the back panel as well. In truth, the cutouts aren't a weak point in the design until the connection with the screen fails, then all of the loading is transmitted to the thin edges of the tub, which fails with little additional load.

A simple illustration is that the "tub" has the cross section of an channel beam, a "c" shape channel with the ends capped, packed with electronics, and is weak in bending and torsion, but cap the top off with a structural connection to the screen, and it behaves like a square tube with ends, a box, and distributes the loads on the opposite faces of depending on the direction of the bend.

Once the connection between the screen and the tub starts to fails, then loads mostly shifts to the edges as the screen separates, and the back is unable to provide much resistance to load. Its actually well engineering within the context of usage.

It's easy to mimic this behavior with paper or cardboard cut and folded to the size of an iPhone, and glued into a box. Then try it by cutting out the screen segment and see how weak it is comparatively.

EDIT: 

I would add that internal ribs are great, but their purpose is essentially to keep the back surface planar as it wrinkles/buckles under loads exceeding the design parameters. Think of them as ribs and spar(s) in an aircraft wing, where the skins carry a sizable portion of compression and tension loads generated by lift in flight.

Yes, the screen "adds" structural strength.

I don't see what you've "disputed" (?)

• Reply 275 of 429
    tundraboy wrote: »

Weird.  You have this manufactured memory that everything Apple ever did under Steve Jobs was flawless.  I think he was among the greatest entrepreneurs ever but Apple made some mistakes too under him.  The key was how well Apple would pivot and fix all the problems as they crop up and that has continued with bendgate and 8.0.1.

And you are going to raise 'failure of leadership at the very top'?  Shepherding two completely new iPhone models through development and introduction, an SoC that widens its lead over its competitors, the biggest ever introductory sales figures in the history of iPhone, then, on top of the two iPhones there's the totally new ?Watch  --all these astounding product achievements and you are going to focus on ultra short term fires that people will forget in about a week's time?  And worse you have the temerity to complain "Tim Cook needs to examine what his priorities are as CEO of Apple"?  Oh Jesus Crispus Attucks! You're the one grumbling about little things that have zero effect on the big picture.  It's you whose priorities are backwards!<span style="line-height:1.4em;"> </span>

The fact that Jobs picked Tim Cook to succeed him demonstrates what a forward-thinking genius the man was. :\
  • Reply 276 of 429

Ah, that reminds me.

<iframe width="640" height="385" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/0UjmqErytJc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

What, in the name of God, was the point of that??

Does ad revenue cover the cost of the phone?
  • Reply 277 of 429
    tommcin wrote: »

Deliberately bending an iPhone is a new IQ test.  If you apply enough pressure to an electronic device, you are stupid.

What's stupid is the obviously fake video timeline in the bending video. Not to mention that it is obviously a deliberate attempt to bend it, as opposed to the result of normal use. The reported amount of bending in real world use cases was very slight compared to what the edited video shows.
  • Reply 278 of 429
    rayz wrote: »
    What, in the name of God, was the point of that??

Does ad revenue cover the cost of the phone?

For Blendtec, yes.
  • Reply 279 of 429
    Just like @gtr says, most android fanboys can't understand you don't need quad core of 3GB of ram to achieve good user experience when you have a optimized OS. I use both android and iOS and most times I prefer my iPhone since it's more reliable and consistent, up to this day the simple things like selecting text, Web forms, performance is something android had not mastered yet. Sure people say Samsung has garbage TW but then again they are the biggest on the market. Normal users don't flash custom roms and stuff like that.
  • Reply 280 of 429
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BobSchlob View Post

I posted yesterday; the weak spot is the great big Apple logo shaped cut-out hole in the aluminum body. (Duh)

Grab the iPhone; put your Thumb on the Apple window hole; and push…  (Duh)

Just a small question... Why the hell would you do that in normal use?  Until some idiot decided to bend his phone and fake a youtube video so poorly that he didn't consider timestamps showing on the face of the phone, no one would even think to do that.   Normal use?  Not a hope. Warrantable?  Never.