Adapting to change: a review of Apple's larger 4.7-inch iPhone 6 vs. the smaller 4-inch iPhone 5s

Comments

• Reply 181 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by sog35 View Post

Again, all you 4 inch lovers answer this simple question:

If 4 inches is the perfect size why isn't there a SINGLE premium Android phone that is 4 inches that sells well?

Why is every single top selling Android phone at least 4.7 inches?

So now Android manufacturers have the answer. You said that about Samsung the other day as well.

I'm beginning to think you favor Android's business model over Apple's.

• Reply 182 of 281
    mariomario Posts: 348member
    4'' iPhone 5 was already too big to hold and too small to read PDFs or EPUBs. But so is iPad. If you have multi-column PDFs (like some textbooks) text is going to be too small to read on 10'' iPad let alone iPhone. So I don't see the reason to go with giant phone. It doesn't make sense at all. I'd rather they work on wireless foldable screens that you can hook your phone to if you need larger screen in a pinch.
  • Reply 183 of 281
    I don't think the ?Watch will reach anywhere near 47 million sales next year. I'm not calling the ?Watch a failure based on any amount of sales; I'm calling the ?Watch a failure right now in its current incomplete incarnation. I guess that Apple may modify the design, but it's unlikely to be significantly different to what we've seen. So, especially due to the digital crown, which I think is the most telling sign of its flawed concept, I condemn the ?Watch to failure already. If Apple radically change the design in its second generation, it might stand a better chance, but I don't think any smartwatch from Apple or anyone else is going to gain anything other than very niche status for the foreseeable future.

Have you ever used the digital crown ? No

Do you understand what I does or how it works ? No

Do you know what software they will release with it ? No

Are you grasping at straws to critisise a product you have no experience of using or understanding ?

There is a little known African proverb that describes your approach to the AppleWatch, it's under all of your posts.
  • Reply 184 of 281
    Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

TS the US is iPhones biggest market and the 5C wasn't even in the #3 spot from Jan 14 onward on the big 4 charts. He didn't say that it sold more than the 4S.

But we know it sold more.

• Reply 185 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by riverfreak View Post

How many of the people here claiming that the iPhone 6 is too big actually have one or have used one?

I find all of the comments deriding large phones hilarious. Asia is a huge and important market for Apple. There, iPhone 6 size phones are the rule not the exception. So too will it be in the US soon.

That the iPhone 6 is too big to use as a phone is ludicrous.

I'm rocking a 6+. I have average sized hands. I can hold it comfortably and use it with one hand for light tasks like web surfing without problem. Typing on it is a joy. Reading books and websites is awesome.

Going back to use the 5s is just plain painful.

Actually, 5.5 inch IS ridiculous as a PHONE, but the current generation smart phones are mostly VERY COMPACT COMPUTERS first and phones second. That's were the discrepancy comes from. I probably use my phone 1-2 hour to talk to people per month and 100 hours for various other tasks.  So, having it optimal to those other tasks seems logical.

Since the phone function has become accessory, which wasn't the case in 2007, I think the 4 (2010) model appeared transition to the portable mobile computer era. That's when larger phones started to appear because what people expected of their device started to change. That's only 4 years ago!! Things go fast in technology.

So, people want a small powerful computer that's also portable, instead of a phone.

Different requirement means a different device and interface, thus larger screen while keeping it portable and the emergence of peripheral devices (like the Iwatch, interaface to networked devices and sensors).

• Reply 186 of 281
    onhkaonhka Posts: 1,025member

Quote:

Originally Posted by Onhka View Post

My wish:

An iPhone 5 Plus, i.e., an iPhone 6 Plus inside an iPhone 5 case (not 5c or 5s)

Right shape. Right size. Right functions. IMO.

Like, why would I buy hockey gloves when the only game I play now is golf?

Quote:
    Originally Posted by fallenjt View Post

That why it's only a wish cuz new phone in a 2 year olds design is disaster.

So you are suggesting that there should only be car manufacturers should only build one truck or one car; or home builders one house without any options.

Overall the 5.33 cu in iPhone 6 Plus offers…

• Higher resolution

• Greater power and efficiency

• HD slo-mo/time-lapse video

• Faster wireless

• Greater security/NFC/? Pay

over the iPhone 5s vs. the 5.33 cu in iPhone 6s

So that is nearly 60% more room left in the existing iPhone 5s case to hide the camera lens and increase the size of the battery.

• Reply 187 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

But we know it sold more.

Yes... it sold more than the 4S the year before it but it was not in the #2 sales spot around the globe for months and months.

I think it made the #2 spot for about 2 or 3 months at best.

If someone says otherwise then they need to show some links... and not that op-ed piece by Daniel.

• Reply 188 of 281

Nice review and brings up a lot of my complaints as well.  

Reachability helps some with one handed use, but since it doesn’t stick it actually makes some things much more complicated to use.  Reading through my mail going back and forth between mailboxes/folders etc. I'm constantly double tapping.

I think I would have preferred an option that would have allowed me to double or triple tap and shift between just condensing the screen to bottom right or left at 1136x640 (depending on which hand hand you prefer) and it to stick in that mode until you double or triple tap out of it.

Maybe iOS 8.1 or 9 will add that feature.
  • Reply 189 of 281
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mr o wrote: »
    I just hope "Continuity"** paves the way for a return of the iconic* 3.5 inch form factor.
    I would love a 3.5" display-sized phone, but I think that boat has long since sailed and sunk.

The 4" is a reasonable compromise, and when Apple finally decides to redesign their iconic bezel, eliminating the massive amount of space at the top and bottom of the display to accommodate the oversized home button (the home button could go on the back of the phone for instance, or a virtual home button activated by a physical button on the side), then the 4" screen will fit in a same size or smaller case.

This is one I think we all have to give up on, and pray Apple doesn't ditch the 4" display -- at least it maintains the same aspect ratio as the 4.7" screen, whereas the 3.5" screen matches nothing else.
  • Reply 190 of 281
    Quote:

But you are calling the Watch a failure if it sells 47 million units in its first year?

The iPad only sold less than 15 million in its first year! Are you calling the iPad a failure?

The funny thing is with an average price of probably  ( 0.75 * 350 + 0.27*550 + 0.03*$1000) = $442.5

You'd have 47 x 10 e 6    x 442.5 = about 28 Billion dollars in extra revenue during the first year... That's one hell of a "failure".

With  probably 10 billion in profits!! Other companies could only wish for that kind of "failure".

I Myself don't expect 47 million watches sold. I think 18-22 million is closer to the mark.

This is still 12 Billion in revenu and more than 4 Billion in profit.

Apple's money pile will undoubtably come close to 250 Billion by the end of 2015. That's a ridiculous amount of money to have "lying around...

• Reply 191 of 281
    gatorguy wrote: »
    What else would you expect them to say? Of course whatever they made was the perfect size and competitors got it wrong. Marketing 101. Apple is a marvelous marketing machine, oft cited and studied in business classes and dissertations.

One looks stupid when they keep changing 'perfect'. By definition perfection can't be improved.
  • Reply 192 of 281
    Well, to be honest... you do have freakishly small hands. In your hand, the iPhone 6 looks bigger than the 6 Plus in mine. I don't have major problems using the 6 Plus with one hand, but for you, obviously, even the 6 is clearly too big.

Regarding that 14-day return policy though: I don't think it would kill anyone to try the phone in the store first instead of ordering it and relying on the return policy. Do people actually know that returned phones can't be resold at full price, which implies that all customers have to pay for the loss Apple will make on your returned phone? In short: Ordering a phone just to try it out is antisocial.
  • Reply 193 of 281
    sog35 wrote: »
    Again, all you 4 inch lovers answer this simple question:

If 4 inches is the perfect size why isn't there a SINGLE premium Android phone that is 4 inches that sells well?
    Why is every single top selling Android phone at least 4.7 inches?

Because all the premium Android phones are at least 4.7", and what were their sales numbers compared to the 4" iPhone. Their numbers were laughable. Apple didn't do any research, the only way for them to change the design of the iPhone was to go bigger. They went bigger because they had to, not necessarily because they wanted to.
  • Reply 194 of 281
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by dasanman69 View Post

Because all the premium Android phones are at least 4.7", and what were their sales numbers compared to the 4" iPhone. Their numbers were laughable.

This.

... or maybe sog35 is saying that the 5S isn't a premium phone.

• Reply 195 of 281
    d4njvrzf wrote: »
    Maybe because there isn't a single premium Android phone that is 4 inches.

And why is that the case?

Why isnt there a single premium Android phone that is 4 inches?
    Its because MOST premium buyers want and expect a larger screen.

Because Android is an extremely inefficient Java Virtual Machine, and always runs on inefficient power-hungry processors that need huge-ass batteries and have to have big screens to cover them. Where have you been for the last four years? Even at that, "premium" phones are a small part of the market—Samsung sells most of their phones in the much smaller categories. They push the big phones because that's the only segment that makes them any money.
  • Reply 196 of 281
    Quote:

Originally Posted by island hermit View Post

Same with my Wife.

Same here. We both have iPhone 5. I'm getting the 6 she definitely doesn't want a larger phone so I guess it will 5s for her. She's not interested in Apple Pay so no big deal. I'm not very interested in Apple Pay either. Plastic works fine for me.

• Reply 197 of 281
    Quote:

laughable?

Show me how many premium Android phones were sold last year.

Those numbers are not 'laughable'.

So you are saying that those phones sold better than the 4" iPhones?

Interesting turn of events.

• Reply 198 of 281
    Benjamin Frost's fixation on the digital crown is laughable. I think this is the most brilliant part of the design. When Tim introduced it in the keynote, I heard an audible intake of breath from the audience, meaning "Of course! Why didn't anybody think of that before?" This is just one of the many signs that Apple is the only one to have put any real thought into what a "smartwatch" is—not just a pager for your cellphone.
  • Reply 199 of 281
    Because Android is an extremely inefficient Java Virtual Machine, and always runs on inefficient power-hungry processors that need huge-ass batteries and have to have big screens to cover them. Where have you been for the last four years? Even at that, "premium" phones are a small part of the market—Samsung sells most of their phones in the much smaller categories. They push the big phones because that's the only segment that makes them any money.

Nice lie.

I had a 3.5 inch Android phone and the battery lasted 2 days on normal use.

The reason the premium Android phones are bigger than 4 inches is because thats what people want.
    DEAL WITH IT.

Starting on Sept this year there will not be a SINGLE PREMIUM TOP END PHONE THAT HAS A SCREEN SMALLER THAN 4.7 INCHES.  PERIOD.

SO ARE YOU TELLING ME THAT APPLE, ALL THE ANDROID MAKERS, ALL THE WINDOWS PHONE MAKERS ARE ALL WRONG?  THEY ARE ALL WRONG AND THAT THE BEST SIZE IS 4 INCHES?  REALLY?

HOW ARROGANT CAN YOU BE?

It's not a lie. A bunch of moronic Fandroids saying "Nuh-uh!" enough times doesn't negate anything. That was the origin of the huge-ass smartphone. Your 4-inch Android phone had longer battery life because it was a low-tier model that simply does a lot less than Samsung's throw-everything-at-the-wall-and-see-what-sticks "premium" models.

You really need to get back on your meds, because you are completely mental at the moment.
  • Reply 200 of 281
    And why is that the case?

Why isnt there a single premium Android phone that is 4 inches?
    Its because MOST premium buyers want and expect a larger screen.

Maybe because they couldn't design a phone that small, and have the performance needed.