After iOS 8.0.2, Apple gives HealthKit apps the green light on iPhone App Store

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by eightzero View Post

Hum. Well, I updated my iP 5s to 8.0.2, no problems. But the first HealthKit enabled app I use came available via update about an hour ago: Garmin Connect. The update is fine, and I see all my cycling data in their app...but it won't request a connection to the Apple Health app, and populate the data there. 

If I had to guess, I'd say there's an issue with the Garmin app. Their stuff is known to suck.

Any devs know how to force an app to request access to "Health?"

Some discussion of this over at the Garmin site. Many users with the same issue, so it appears to be yet another Garmin screw up. 

Garmin makes aviation units too. Think about that.

• Reply 22 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by PhilBoogie View Post

So, basically FitPort gives you the same info as the stock HealthApp, but just in a different design? 'kay

How do I start measuring steps/distances with the stock Health app? Can't find that information anywhere.

• Reply 23 of 27
    eightzero wrote: »
    If I had to guess, I'd say there's an issue with the Garmin app. Their stuff is known to suck.

QFT Garmin makes total crap software. Not just on a Microsoft level, not, they make pure shyte software. Their iOS apps are completely useless, their Basecamp on OSX completely sucks and I don't feel like explaining why it sucks: every user will see that once using trying to use it.

eightzero wrote: »
    Some discussion of this over at the Garmin site. Many users with the same issue, so it appears to be yet another Garmin screw up.

Indeed, yet another Garmin screw up.

brlawyer wrote: »
    How do I start measuring steps/distances with the stock Health app? Can't find that information anywhere.

I haven't used the app myself, so thought I'd take a gander. Seems pretty obvious, even though I don't have the iPhone 6: you simply go into a category and add the data yourself, like start/end sleep. I wouldn't know about sensors, but would assume it requires any BT (not ANT+) and the app will detect it after pairing. Or a 3rd party app and you get to see if the Health app has got a request from that 3rd party app.

Here's some 'light info' from Apple

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/health/
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT6357

edited to add: red prices on pink background, designed by Josh W.(?):

• Reply 24 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

From talking with Apple support, I was told you have to leave the Health app running in the background and it will track your steps using the Motion chip. If you close the app, no step tracking. Once I left mine running, it started tracking my steps without me doing anything.

• Reply 25 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Maccaguy View Post

From talking with Apple support, I was told you have to leave the Health app running in the background and it will track your steps using the Motion chip. If you close the app, no step tracking. Once I left mine running, it started tracking my steps without me doing anything.

Forgive my ignorance; but this "motion chip" only exists in the 5S and up, correct? Meaning that Health is absolutely useless in my iPhone 5; or does it also work with the built-in GPS?

• Reply 26 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by brlawyer View Post

Forgive my ignorance; but this "motion chip" only exists in the 5S and up, correct? Meaning that Health is absolutely useless in my iPhone 5; or does it also work with the built-in GPS?

I wouldn't say that it is useless, but on an iPhone without the motion chip it won't track your steps. 

• Reply 27 of 27
    chris_cachris_ca Posts: 2,543member
    brlawyer wrote: »
    Forgive my ignorance; but this "motion chip" only exists in the 5S and up, correct? Meaning that Health is absolutely useless in my iPhone 5
    So the ~67 other things that are tracked/aggregated with HealthKit are irrelevant?
    or does it also work with the built-in GPS?
    HealthKit has nothing to do with GPS.