Going big: a review of Apple's new 4.7" iPhone 6 vs. the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 21 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

A 4 inch iPhone 6 would've outsold the iPhone 6 Plus by a wide margin. It's far more fitting for the vast majority of people around the world. Apple fans are stunned that the company would drop it like a hot potato for some niche device that goes against their philosophy of creating the best products. Instead they've gone out and endorsed the hamfisted ideas of competitors who came up with this zany big phone gimmick because they couldn't compete head to head.

I think this is a flanking maneuver by Apple if you think in terms of military strategy.  Let me explain...

• I think almost everyone would agree that a 3.5" - 4" device works best for most hands. Sure there are people with giant hands, and there are many smaller framed people with smaller hands.  So I think this is a great size. But...

• Android has increased marketshare for two reasons. Price and size.  Speed and quality and software are not the winning factors. It's just plain size and price.  Apple will not wage a war on price because they will only make quality product. That leaves size.

• Apple goes "all-in" with a new size factor. By seemingly dropping the "small" size, they are waging a direct attack on the competitor.  By embracing those things that some people claim are what makes Android great, they've absorbed the blow. No one can say "but, bigger" or "but, keyboards" or "but phablet", or "but extensions" or "but widgets".  Now they have iOS and the bag of chips.

• Apple will now wait until income from this new for factor takes off. They are making insane amounts of margin on these devices and they really are great. But... I don't think they will abandoned their smaller-handed friends. No. What we are going to see is...

• Apple will introduce a new device that is thinner than the iPhone 6 and have the 3.5" - 4" screen size.  This device will look great, be aluminum and fit with what people want in a smartphone.  They may wait for their 5s and 5c inventory to draw down and then release in the $99 - $149 price range. 8GB and 16GB. Plus...

• Apple has the infrastructure in place to do that because of iCloud and iOS 8.  People wanting "BIG" would have gotten "BIG" with huge on-board memory and screens.  This phone wouldn't be competition for the big phones since they won't have the capacity and probably will max out at 32 GB.  But it will have TouchID and NFC.

• Apple releases the iWatch for users of "big" phones to be more personal and now the iPhone 6 turns into the "desktop" for nearly all computing functions.

OK... so what they do with this maneuver is quite elegant.  First, they take out the Android "flagships". You really can't go that much bigger without turning the device into a tablet, and Apple can always make the iPad mini a phone if they wanted (FaceTime).  You can't go much smaller since the other device would be in the 3.5" to 4" range and be at a price point that Android will not really compete at unless they go free.  Then you drizzle the whole thing with an incredible ecosystem, mobile payments, home automation, health, etc...

I think this is the beginning of an end-game strategy to go "thermonuclear" with Android in a way out stupid justice system can't.

• Reply 22 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Apple ][ View Post

I would disagree with it eliminating the need for an iPad. Some people might compromise and only get a 6+, but iPads are still far larger than an iPhone 6+.

I haven't held an iPhone 6+ in my hands yet, but just from photos, it's easy to see that's it's still substantially smaller than an iPad Mini, not to mention an iPad Air.

An iPhone 6+ certainly provides more screen space than what people were used to on previous iPhones, but an iPad replacement it is not.

The iPhone 6+ runs phone apps, not iPad apps.

If somebody is on an extreme budget, then sure, go get an iPhone 6+ and no iPad, but I don't see that as an ideal solution.

I find iPhone 6 Plus an almost ideal solution for me. 

1. Do not have to carry two devices

2. Book reading - this is actually an ideal spot - iPad mini is to heavy and large for books, the smaller iPhones are not even usable IMO.

3. Video/movie watching - maybe iPad has an edge, but see #1

4. Games - again 5.5" is a sweet spot, i find iPad is simply too large for gaming and the smaller iPhones are too small.

5. Portability - fits in all of my front pockets ,and again see #1

The only drawback is protruding camera because you do not really want to grab a large and heavy phone like this while it lays on your desk. Wobbling is really annoying.

• Reply 23 of 160

Reachability CAN be used to pull down the notification center by sliding your finger from top to bottom just above the apps that get moved down the screen.

• Reply 24 of 160
    I wish people would stop saying the iPhone 6 plus will be Apples undoing because it is a compromise into Samung territory, or words to that effect. You have to think of each person as a possible customer. Removing aside the people that prefer cheap devices, the rest is generally split into three other groups. These tend to be the people who prefer 3.5" - 4" devices, those who like Phablets and those who are in the middle ground. Prior to the iPhone 6, Apple was catering for one group; 3.5" - 4" devices, which could stunt growth. That means there were two groups of potential growth that Apple could exploit. Those two groups were catered explicitly by Samsung and a few other smaller rivals. Apple has a burning passion to destroy samsung, the remainss of Jobs in effect, and this has lead them to release larger devices. The 3.5" - 4" group is, as I said controlled by Apple. That in effect reduces the possibility of strong powerful growth, as owners of devices in the other two groups will be unlikely to jump ship, in effect that group would be very limited. By releasing two devices that cater to both those groups while keeping the 5S & 5C around, they therefore cater to all three groups. This offers them a maximum amount of possibility of gaining market share, and more market share means more profits. It also allows Apple to put the literal rope around the neck of Samsung mobile division. So in reality, it isn't so much a compromise but a well calculated move the likes of Cook, and the future looks incredibly bright if more decisions like this are taken.

Further examples of Apple trying to cater to new groups are the iPad mini which allowed people who either didn't want to spend as much or just wanted a more portable device, or wanted to test the water, allowing apple to lock in more people to the iOS Eco system.
    Further, Apple releasing the 5C allowed them to cater to two larger and one smaller market within the main tech market, those who wanted a slightly cheaper cheaper device, as well as teenagers and people a or wanted generally colour full devices (knocking out part of Nokis sales therefore) this also then allows Apple to lock in the next generation of users (teens and kids) and make sure they are, in effect loyal to Apple.
    Apples making very calculated decision; something currently not being done by competitors.
  • Reply 25 of 160
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member

Sorry Rich Gregory ... sorry chadbag. I know you get tired of hearing it, but it's unreasonable to expect commenters to throttle their discussion about earlier iPhones versus the 6 and 6s.

If this is multiple choice, it's still valid to select "neither of the above".

• Reply 26 of 160
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    kibitzer wrote: »
    Sorry Rich Gregory ... sorry chadbag. I know you get tired of hearing it, but it's unreasonable to expect commenters to throttle their discussion about earlier iPhones versus the 6 and 6s.

If this is multiple choice, it's still valid to select "neither of the above".

For yourself, personally.

But unless you have actually used one of the newer phones for a few days, don't expect me to care.
  • Reply 27 of 160
    therealtom wrote: »
    I wish people would stop saying the iPhone 6 plus will be Apples undoing because it is a compromise into Samung territory, or words to that effect. You have to think of each person as a possible customer. Removing aside the people that prefer cheap devices, the rest is generally split into three other groups. These tend to be the people who prefer 3.5" - 4" devices, those who like Phablets and those who are in the middle ground. Prior to the iPhone 6, Apple was catering for one group; 3.5" - 4" devices, which could stunt growth. That means there were two groups of potential growth that Apple could exploit. Those two groups were catered explicitly by Samsung and a few other smaller rivals. Apple has a burning passion to destroy samsung, the remainss of Jobs in effect, and this has lead them to release larger devices. The 3.5" - 4" group is, as I said controlled by Apple. That in effect reduces the possibility of strong powerful growth, as owners of devices in the other two groups will be unlikely to jump ship, in effect that group would be very limited. By releasing two devices that cater to both those groups while keeping the 5S & 5C around, they therefore cater to all three groups. This offers them a maximum amount of possibility of gaining market share, and more market share means more profits. It also allows Apple to put the literal rope around the neck of Samsung mobile division. So in reality, it isn't so much a compromise but a well calculated move the likes of Cook, and the future looks incredibly bright if more decisions like this are taken.

Further examples of Apple trying to cater to new groups are the iPad mini which allowed people who either didn't want to spend as much or just wanted a more portable device, or wanted to test the water, allowing apple to lock in more people to the iOS Eco system.
    Further, Apple releasing the 5C allowed them to cater to two larger and one smaller market within the main tech market, those who wanted a slightly cheaper cheaper device, as well as teenagers and people a or wanted generally colour full devices (knocking out part of Nokis sales therefore) this also then allows Apple to lock in the next generation of users (teens and kids) and make sure they are, in effect loyal to Apple.
    Apples making very calculated decision; something currently not being done by competitors.

I agree. It is a very smart business decision by Apple. How can that be denied when they are selling like hotcakes? If you feel you are being abandoned (by the lack of of new 3.5-4" model), think about how the people who switched to Samsung when Apple stuck with a 4" screens (they felt abandoned too).

The other thing that makes it even more logical is that the profit margins can be higher on the bigger phones. They are selling strong. It is money in the bank for APPL and it makes me happy because I can finally get an iOS phone that has lots of screen real estate.
  • Reply 28 of 160
    Personally I think the 4" form factor was a mistake and too much of a compromise. The 4.7" is the true successor to the 3.5" display. Making the display taller only, as they did with the 5 series, really was a dumb idea. It just emphazises the tinyness.

That being said, I can see a lot of people, in the future, owning three devices. Watch, the 5.5" iPhone, and at least a 9.7" iPad, but more likely the 12.9" Pro size. I could see myself going Watch/5.5/iPad Pro quite easily.

I think an iPhone Mini should bring back the 3.5" size screen.
  • Reply 29 of 160
    jason98 wrote: »
    I find iPhone 6 Plus an almost ideal solution for me. 

1. Do not have to carry two devices
    2. Book reading - this is actually an ideal spot - iPad mini is to heavy and large for books, the smaller iPhones are not even usable IMO.
    3. Video/movie watching - maybe iPad has an edge, but see #1
    4. Games - again 5.5" is a sweet spot, i find iPad is simply too large for gaming and the smaller iPhones are too small.
    5. Portability - fits in all of my front pockets ,and again see #1

The only drawback is protruding camera because you do not really want to grab a large and heavy phone like this while it lays on your desk. Wobbling is really annoying.

The 4.7" is okay for reading, I used it yesterday for that. Personally I feel like the 5.5" would be okay, but the iPad Mini is still best for reading. Even owning an Air, there are times I wish I had an iPad mini just to carry around for reading, it's not much bigger than the Sony Readers I use.
  • Reply 30 of 160
    my preference is for the 6 , I visited the Apple store to check out the size of the iP6 and the 4.7" isn't a big enough difference for me over the iP5 to justify the upgrade. I also have very large hands and I was able to use the 6 quiet easily , my preference for the 6 is mainly for the bigger screen my eye sight is going now I'm 55 and the Notability app can be used on it, but not really the iP6.
  • Reply 31 of 160
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,373member
    Quote:

It may sound trite, but choosing a new iPhone 6 model really depends on personal preference.

Whah whah ... what the ...? 

I thought I was supposed to listen to what other people believe I should choose for my next phone. You mean I can choose what I like based on what matters to me and not have to get permission from the court of narrow minded opinion? This is outrageous, simply outrageous if you ask me. 

With Apple offering damn good phones at 4", 4.7", and 5.5" sizes perhaps that's what Apple intended all along, choice? But it's hard to tell at times from all the chatter about the too-big new phones. Last time I looked the 5S was still a damn good phone, better than nearly all current generation competitors. Best selling phone in the world. If you think about it, if Apple had done an iPhone 6 with the same form factor as the 5S what would you really be getting that would make it worthy of being a sixth-gen iPhone? NFC, a slightly faster chipset, more storage capacity, and tweaked camera? They'd have incurred massive retooling costs for an incremental upgrade that doesn't take the iPhone product line anywhere it's not already been. The 5S was ahead of its time a year ago and it's still a top tier premium unit. It's hard to say the 5S is a deficient product in any sense of the word. I suppose they could have found a way to stuff some of the 6 internals into the 5S. Would that make it a 6 mini or simply a 5SS? I suspect we'd be suffering complainers either way. As a fine American once said:

You can please all the people some of the time, and some of the people all the time, but you cannot please all the people all the time.

• Reply 32 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

4.7" screen would actually fit into iPhone 4 chassis if/when Touch ID-in-screen tech is ready.

• Reply 33 of 160
    kibitzerkibitzer Posts: 1,114member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

For yourself, personally.

But unless you have actually used one of the newer phones for a few days, don't expect me to care.

Fine. I'll just keep posting what I think, so long as I'm not hurting anyone, rather than submit to those who would direct me as to what I can or cannot say. Best regards and carry on, please.

• Reply 34 of 160
    paul94544 wrote: »
    my preference is for the 6 , I visited the Apple store to check out the size of the iP6 and the 4.7" isn't a big enough difference for me over the iP5 to justify the upgrade. I also have very large hands and I was able to use the 6 quiet easily , my preference for the 6 is mainly for the bigger screen my eye sight is going now I'm 55 and the Notability app can be used on it, but not really the iP6.
    I'm confused. Are you now interested in the 6+, or is that too small too?
  • Reply 35 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

It's clear that the Androidification of Apple has taken place.

Apple never built a netbook under Steve Jobs, despite their seeming popularity. That's because they were a compromise too far.

So it is with the 6 Plus.

I look back with sad fondness at the spellbinding brilliance of Apple under Jobs. I look forwards with hope to the revitalisation of Apple under the next Steve Jobs, whenever that may be.

"It's clear. . ." Hoping that by saying this everything that follows is that much more convincing? Well it's NOT "clear", and your tactic didn't work. Your opinions are deeply flawed.

• Reply 36 of 160

But what would be the point in releasing a third device, further complicating the product line? Apple is known for simplicity, that would be going against it. Further, the growth of Phablet device is testament that the 3.5 - 4 inch market is so small now. Even the 4 inch market is shrinking. Releasing a 3.5 inch device would waste R&D costs, potentially waste money to manufacture devices that wouldn't sell, and if they did not sell the anti Apple press would rip Apple apart. Further more, very few people would be likely to buy a 3.5 inch device and push market share forward, so the positives to Apple would be rather small.
  • Reply 37 of 160
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member

It's clear that Apple didn't want to create too big a pool of iPhones.  However, I think it would have been nice if they created a 4" iPhone 6.  Just like the crowd that clamored for a phablet phone, there obviously was a huge market for the 4" model.  To me, using it with one hand (and I have big hands) was a big plus.

I can use the iP6 with one hand with "almost" no problem, something that extended use would probably make a non-issue.  I am leaning to the 6+ simply because for what I use my iPad Air for, I could possibly see it being replaced with one device.

This is a hard decision to make.  I checked out both models a few days ago at an Apple store, but I'm waiting for the lines to thin out, and obviously stock to return before I make my final decision.  Purchasing a 5s to stay with the 4" form-factor makes me feel like I'm not moving forward.

This has to be one of the most difficult product choosing for most people.

• Reply 38 of 160
    sflocal wrote: »
    It's clear that Apple didn't want to create too big a pool of iPhones.  However, I think it would have been nice if they created a 4" iPhone 6.  Just like the crowd that clamored for a phablet phone, there obviously was a huge market for the 4" model.  To me, using it with one hand (and I have big hands) was a big plus.

I can use the iP6 with one hand with "almost" no problem, something that extended use would probably make a non-issue.  I am leaning to the 6+ simply because for what I use my iPad Air for, I could possibly see it being replaced with one device.

This is a hard decision to make.  I checked out both models a few days ago at an Apple store, but I'm waiting for the lines to thin out, and obviously stock to return before I make my final decision.  Purchasing a 5s to stay with the 4" form-factor makes me feel like I'm not moving forward.

I have the 6 and an Air. I feel like they both do their jobs quite well. Now, it no longer feels painful to do something on the iPhone, but I still want the larger Air for a lot of things. I just don't take it as many places as I once did, now that I have a phone size that is more than adequate. The 5.5" still seems like itd be a bit smallish to replace both.
  • Reply 39 of 160
    sflocal wrote: »

I think you've put it very well.

This is the first time ever that we humble consumers have had to face such a difficult decision in our iPhone purchases. Even the AI staff are facing quandaries with the choice.

The long and the short of it is this:

If you want a bigger screen and don't mind sacrificing one-handed use, then get a 6 or 6 Plus, but beware that the iPhone may bend if you keep it in your front pocket.

If you don't want the worry of trying to sell a bent iPhone at the end of your two-year contract and own an iPad, go for the 5s.
  • Reply 40 of 160
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    jason98 wrote: »
    and substantially better battery life.

Ok, I will fix it for you: but those features are likely not deal breakers for most users, especially when put up against the fact that 6 Plus can be used as a tablet and a phone at the same time, which in most cases eliminates a need in iPad.

iPhone 6 Plus 64GB = $850
    iPhone 6 64GB + iPad Mini (cellular) =  $1,279+
    Not right. You don't need iPad cellular. Here I fix it for you:
    iPhone 6 64GB + iPad Mini = $1050

To each his own. I don't know about you but so far I've only seen people at my company using iPhone 6, not iPhone 6+. I believe 6 is more popular.
    Btw, 6+ will probably be discontinued or replaced by 5.5" 6C next year to avoid any fking bend crap accusation.
    So 5S free, 6 $99, 5.5" 6C/4.7" 6S $199, New 5.5" 6+ $299. Sound probable?