Going big: a review of Apple's new 4.7" iPhone 6 vs. the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 41 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jungmark View Post

And this completes the Odo-ization of Frosty.

LOL. Dissociative trolling disorder.

• Reply 42 of 160
    I think you've put it very well.

This is the first time ever that we humble consumers have had to face such a difficult decision in our iPhone purchases. Even the AI staff are facing quandaries with the choice.

The long and the short of it is this:

If you want a bigger screen and don't mind sacrificing one-handed use, then get a 6 or 6 Plus, but beware that the iPhone may bend if you keep it in your front pocket.

If you don't want the worry of trying to sell a bent iPhone at the end of your two-year contract and own an iPad, go for the 5s.

Ah, at last the realisation that we have been struggling to articulate.
    Let me rephrase it.

You have to choose the size of iphone that suits your preferences. And look after it as usual.

Excellent. Glad we got that sorted !
  • Reply 43 of 160
    People are right who say that the 6+ is not an iPad replacement. I really wanted an iPad, but could never justify it, because I'd want to use it as a reader, and the lack of a file structure makes that impossible, so I still need a laptop. Going to be very interested in this rumored 12" fanless, clickless MBA if it transpires.

Calling the move from 3.5" to 4" a "size increase" is just wrong. It was an aspect ratio change. I always said it was a mistake because 16:9 is unsuitable for anything but a TV set. I consoled myself that at least it was a standard ratio. That original oddball 3:2 35mm film frame ratio had been obsolete for 60 years as TV went narrower and movies went wider.

The 6+ has totally changed my thinking. The thing isn't a phone—actually smart"phones" haven't been phones for a while now. But neither is it a mini-tablet. With the native-resolution 1920 x 1080 HD screen on the best quality display available at any size or any price, it's a personal TV. The best TV in the world. The much anticipated "Apple TV". Couple this with Beats bluetooth headphones, or maybe Lightning headphones for 24-bit sound, and you have the best TV-watching experience obtainable.

Plus it'll run over a million apps, browse the web, shoot 1080p video to watch on it, take pictures, and oh yeah, make phone calls if absolutely necessary. This is a complete change that nobody appreciates yeat.
  • Reply 44 of 160
    People are right who say that the 6+ is not an iPad replacement. I really wanted an iPad, but could never justify it, because I'd want to use it as a reader, and the lack of a file structure makes that impossible, so I still need a laptop. Going to be very interested in this rumored 12" fanless, clickless MBA if it transpires.

Calling the move from 3.5" to 4" a "size increase" is just wrong. It was an aspect ratio change. I always said it was a mistake because 16:9 is unsuitable for anything but a TV set. I consoled myself that at least it was a standard ratio. That original oddball 3:2 35mm film frame ratio had been obsolete for 60 years as TV went narrower and movies went wider.

The 6+ has totally changed my thinking. The thing isn't a phone—actually smart"phones" haven't been phones for a while now. But neither is it a mini-tablet. With the native-resolution 1920 x 1080 HD screen on the best quality display available at any size or any price, it's a personal TV. The best TV in the world. The much anticipated "Apple TV" Couple this with Beats bluetooth headphones, or maybe Lightning headphones for 24-bit sound, and you have the best TV-watching experience obtainable.

Plus it'll run over a million apps, browse the web, shoot 1080p video to watch on it, take pictures, and oh yeah, make phone calls if absolutely necessary. This is a complete change that nobody appreciates yeat.

Do you not want to use it as a reader because you can't load ePubs, or...?
  • Reply 45 of 160

Do you not want to use it as a reader because you can't load ePubs, or...?

Because I've downloaded over 10,000 items (not all book length) in four different formats—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and ePub, to the tune of 48 GB so far. I don't want to rename all my files to fit in a flat file and then page through 500 screens trying to find what I want.

Actually, it's worse than that. In iOS, I'd have to remember what format something was in, call up that application (except no DjVu, I imagine), and then page through hundreds of screens—you can't just click on a file and have it come up in the proper application, right?

Just not practical.
  • Reply 46 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

I did, see my earlier post:

http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182553/going-big-a-review-of-apples-new-4-7-iphone-6-vs-the-5-5-iphone-6-plus#post_2609011

And you forgot about gaming. Like it or not holding iPad while playing a game is tiresome. And smaller screens are not much fun.

iPhone Plus fixes that completely.

• Reply 47 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyRevell View Post

Reachability CAN be used to pull down the notification center by sliding your finger from top to bottom just above the apps that get moved down the screen.

Hey, thanx! This is exactly the kind of helpful post that makes AI's boards worthwhile!

When you do this the Notification center drops down from the very top. Another quick double tap brings down the top so you can switch between notifications and 'today.' 

• Reply 48 of 160
    Because I've downloaded over 10,000 items (not all book length) in four different formats—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and ePub, to the tune of 48 GB so far. I don't want to rename all my files to fit in a flat file and then page through 500 screens trying to find what I want.

Actually, it's worse than that. In iOS, I'd have to remember what format something was in, call up that application (except no DjVu, I imagine), and then page through hundreds of screens—you can't just click on a file and have it come up in the proper application, right?

Just not practical.

Looks like you have choices that support all four of those formats.
  • Reply 49 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Gregory View Post

Hey, thanx! This is exactly the kind of helpful post that makes AI's boards worthwhile!

When you do this the Notification center drops down from the very top. Another quick double tap brings down the top so you can switch between notifications and 'today.' 

No problem. Glad I could help.

• Reply 50 of 160
    Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

And I’m sure an equal number of choices to convert to ePub and get on with the future.

• Reply 51 of 160
    I have a simple question that wasn't really addressed in this review. Does the 6 have a big enough screen sufficient for comfortable reading of books (Kindle, iBooks, etc.) ? If so, it will replace my iPad mini, which is fine for that purpose. Would love to have one item to use as phone, which I often keep on my desk in hands-free speaker mode anyway, and a device with which to read books at home or on road - all in one. If the 6 can do that, it's for me. The rest, as they say, is commentary.
  • Reply 52 of 160
    richlrichl Posts: 2,213member

Battery life is definitely the deciding factor for me. The iPhone 6+ is a little bigger than I'd want but it's worth it for the increased battery capacity.

• Reply 53 of 160
    jason98 wrote: »

I did, see my earlier post:
    http://forums.appleinsider.com/t/182553/going-big-a-review-of-apples-new-4-7-iphone-6-vs-the-5-5-iphone-6-plus#post_2609011

And you forgot about gaming. Like it or not holding iPad while playing a game is tiresome. And smaller screens are not much fun.
    iPhone Plus fixes that completely.

OK, let's change it to "I hadn't appreciated yet."

And you're right about gaming. I didn't think about that because like George Costanza, the last video game I played was probably Frogger. Hi-Def 60 fps video, with Metal to make the best use of the GPU, coupled with the large screen, could revolutionize the handheld gaming experience.
  • Reply 54 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by MacVicta View Post

The ideal solution is to have a phone and a tablet, not something that fails at being both.

I guess you don't see that as being rather presumptuous, do you? Some of us think the balance is perfect. Big enough to work on without feeling like I'm performing microsurgery on a flea (which is how the previous generation iPhones feel to me), while small enough to carry around in my pocket (which I can't do with an iPad) and I can still make phone calls and send SMS (which I can't do with an iPad).

Now that you know there are people who like them, as if sales of 10 million units in 3 days weren't evidence enough, I'm sure you can see how it comes across as a bit self-possessed to describe something as a "failure" just because it doesn't fit YOUR vision of what it "should" be.

• Reply 55 of 160
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

And I’m sure an equal number of choices to convert to ePub and get on with the future.

If the "future" requires transcoding all my files to accommodate the device, rather than the device just opening whatever I feed it, I'll stay in the past, thanks.

And @TheWhiteFalcon, that solves part of the issue he described. How would you suggest he handle the other part -- file management?

I'm not trying to defend Mac-so here, but what he's saying doesn't seem unreasonable or obstinate. It just sounds like an iOS device might not be a good fit for his particular needs in that area.

• Reply 56 of 160

As someone who had owned every iPhone since the original, the decision of whether to purchase the 6 or the Plus was a difficult one. Ultimately, I 

preordered the Plus and have no regrets. It wound up replacing both my 5s and my iPad Air. The Appleinsider article is right on the money--battery life is beyond outstanding, the Retina HD display is exceptional,  photos are sharp, game playing is more enjoyable and yes, it fits comfortably in my jeans pocket.

Good luck whichever model you decide to buy.

• Reply 57 of 160

If the "future" requires transcoding all my files to accommodate the device, rather than the device just opening whatever I feed it, I'll stay in the past, thanks.

And <a data-huddler-embed="href" href="/u/203736/TheWhiteFalcon" style="display:inline-block;">@TheWhiteFalcon</a>
    , that solves part of the issue he described. How would you suggest he handle the other part -- file management?

I'm not trying to defend Mac-so here, but what he's saying doesn't seem unreasonable or obstinate. It just sounds like an iOS device might not be a good fit for his particular needs in that area.

I didn't mean to come off whiny, anyway. It's really no hardship using a laptop. I can have all pages view full-width, so I can read from several feet away, without the reading part of my bifocals—It's really kind of luxurious.

Converting all of these things with something like Calibre—eek. That would take forever, if it worked at all. I've had bad luck with anything other than .epub to .mobi or vice-versa.

I still have an old Kindle if I want to take a few things with me. I guess I sound like an extreme outlier, but Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive to name two, seem to be pretty popular, so I can't be unique.
  • Reply 58 of 160
    Can anybody tell me about the experience of i phone 6 plus. Should I need to worry about bending. Actually I'm thinking of buying it but in dilemma with the viral videos and news of bending in media/youtube.
  • Reply 59 of 160
    gudguys wrote: »
    Should I need to worry about bending.

Of course not.

So far, 20 million iPhone 6 series devices sold.

• 7 million to end users
    • 12 million to the Chinese mafia
    • 400 thousand for YouTube drop tests
    • 600 thousand for YouTube bend tests

Of those, only 9 cases noted by Apple that the iPhone bent, and the iPhone 6 Plus held up better than the iPhone 6 in CR's tests. You literally have less than a one-in-a-million chance of it bending under normal use based on the available evidence.
  • Reply 60 of 160
    I didn't mean to come off whiny, anyway. It's really no hardship using a laptop. I can have all pages view full-width, so I can read from several feet away, without the reading part of my bifocals—It's really kind of luxurious.

Converting all of these things with something like Calibre—eek. That would take forever, if it worked at all. I've had bad luck with anything other than .epub to .mobi or vice-versa.

I still have an old Kindle if I want to take a few things with me. I guess I sound like an extreme outlier, but Project Gutenberg and the Internet Archive to name two, seem to be pretty popular, so I can't be unique.

I have a second generation Sony Reader, that I bought late last year(I prefer the ATM like navigation interface and also prefer pageturn buttons). Only to see Sony pull the plug on the poor thing entirely, and Kobo didn't support the 505 (nor my trusty old 500). I use it mostly for Gutenberg books now, but those were all ePub the last I checked. And Calibre seems to work pretty well.

I still have thousands of books in .lit (Microsoft Reader) format, finding a converter was pretty easy. I have to imagine finding coverters for yours would also be possible.

And PocketReader supports syncing through iTunes.

Obviously, no one is saying "buy an iPad now!", just showing that there are options.