Going big: a review of Apple's new 4.7" iPhone 6 vs. the 5.5" iPhone 6 Plus

Comments

• Reply 81 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

I have both a 6 and a 6 plus. I also have a 5s. (Day job is an app engineer.)

I have been trading off between putting my SIM in the 6 and 6 plus. All around I think the 6 is the perfect phone. However, I am not sure if I will use the 6 or the 6 plus as my normal every day carry phone. It is a lot harder to decide after using each in that time for a few days than I thought it would be.

I've had an iPhone since the original iPhone except the 3G (went straight to the 3GS). My 5s doesn't even come into consideration for every day carry. The 6 is not that much larger but it makes all the difference. The 5s seems down right tiny after using the 6 for a few days. Even though it was great a week ago.

And, for me at least, the 6 plus works fine as a phone. It is not any larger than my old analog Motorola flip phone was.

And the 6 plus doesn't replace my iPad mini either. The may be some overlap in edge use cases but in general the 6 plus is a large phone and not at all like an iPad.

You are contradicting yourself. To clarify, the iPhone 6's display is about 40% larger than that of the 5s. 40% larger is noticeably larger.

• Reply 82 of 160
    idreyidrey Posts: 647member
    In my believe Appple has done a brlliant move and the timing is good. I do not see Apple going back to the smaller screen unless they figure out how to incorporate the home botton to the screen. If they could do that they could make the iphone about 1/2 an inch smaller, making the iphone 4.2 inches. But i dont see that happening. It sounds too crazy of an idea.
    Any how people will always adapt to the options, even if at first they refuse.
  • Reply 83 of 160
    Deleted. Just not worth it.

• Reply 84 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by SolipsismX View Post

Of course not.

So far, 20 million iPhone 6 series devices sold.

• 7 million to end users

• 12 million to the Chinese mafia

• 400 thousand for YouTube drop tests

• 600 thousand for YouTube bend tests

Of those, only 9 cases noted by Apple that the iPhone bent, and the iPhone 6 Plus held up better than the iPhone 6 in CR's tests. You literally have less than a one-in-a-million chance of it bending under normal use based on the available evidence.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gudguys View Post

Can anybody tell me about the experience of i phone 6 plus. Should I need to worry about bending. Actually I'm thinking of buying it but in dilemma with the viral videos and news of bending in media/youtube.

Having owned the Plus for over a week, I can tell you that it's the second best iPhone I've ever owned, the original 2007 iPhone being my all-time favorite. Combined with IOS 8, it's a game changer. Just don't put it in your back pocket, and, as Consumer Reports revealed, you'll be fine. I sold my 5s and iPad Air because the Plus combines the best of both devices into one. Also, it comfortably fits in my jeans front pocket. 

• Reply 85 of 160
    dcj001 wrote: »
    You are contradicting yourself. To clarify, the iPhone 6's display is about 40% larger than that of the 5s. 40% larger is noticeably larger.

Assuming you bolded the quoted text, as that is what I read, it doesn't contradict itself. There is an interesting phenomenon that I think many can attest to when going from the 3.5" iPhone to the 4" where it didn't seem like a much bigger display, but going back to the 3.5" display it did seem much, much smaller. This is about perception. The weight also didn't feel that much lighter but going back to the 3.5" the weight different felt much more extreme. With the the iPhone 6 being lighter, thinner and having less volume than the 4S, along with a slightly narrower bezel and curved edges I can see how that effect can happen again.
  • Reply 86 of 160
    OK, I'm sorry I brought up the whole reader thing as an aside. The point I meant to make was that the iP6+ is not an iPad Nano, as some people perceive it, but appears to be specialized as a very high-quality video appliance, and as jason98 pointed out, a quantum jump in handheld gaming. This is really something subtly different from what's come before, and use cases may settle out into unfamiliar patterns as people get used to it.
  • Reply 87 of 160
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    OK, I'm sorry I brought up the whole reader thing as an aside. The point I meant to make was that the iP6+ is not an iPad Nano, as some people perceive it, but appears to be specialized as a very high-quality video appliance, and as jason98 pointed out, a quantum jump in handheld gaming. This is really something subtly different from what's come before, and use cases may settle out into unfamiliar patterns as people get used to it.

I agree with this more imaginative scenario. A pocketable HD video and photo display device, an acceptable occasional reader, a gaming device, a virtual reality and stereo video player, and various "wild card" uses that people will come up with over time, all will make present myopic predictions about the platform's popularity seem ridiculous in a year or so.

The crowd that said "it's just a big Pod touch" should have learned their lesson by now. Every new screen size and form factor has its own galaxy of use cases that can't be seen until the users and developers colonize the new galaxy.

And Samsung only revealed the outlines, the outer margins, like the first version of the Hubble with its out-of-spec mirror. Apple's version of the larger phone is something that real explorers want to hold in their hands.

I don't think MacVicta or B. Frost or the others who don't get the new platform have gone to the store and spent some quality time with the device. 'Course like I've said here before, we don't have words to describe the tactile or visual equivalent for tone deafness, so even if they examine it they still might not get it. It's a work of art and it works on one's susceptibility to technical seduction.
  • Reply 88 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by chadbag View Post

And, for me at least, the 6 plus works fine as a phone. It is not any larger than my old analog Motorola flip phone was.

Er what?  Which flip phone was that?

Heh this dude has activated startacs in 2013:

I'm real tempted to see if I can get my old guy working but my battery is dead and I have no clue where the charger is.

• Reply 89 of 160
    The reviewer has some very strange biases. Particularly his comments about the size of the 6 Plus. It is not nearly as large. To say that you can't reach the G or H is ridiculous unless you have very small hands. I do not have very large hands (glove size large, no more no less) and typing is more comfortable on the 6 Plus than on the 5S on both landscape and portrait mode. My iPad Air is too large for typing while handheld, which is why I have barely touched it since getting my 6 Plus. I am writing this on my 6 Plus now, and doing so comfortably.

If you are a woman with a small frame, you may find the 6 Plus too large. If so, the 6 will be perfect. Otherwise, the 6 Plus will be the best phone you've ever owned. This is coming from someone who was on the fence about which phone to get. The reviewer here is trying to dissuade people from upgrading to an Apple phone for reasons I cannot tell. Ignore it.
  • Reply 90 of 160
    Please say that IOS 9 adds multitask of two iphone 6+ apps on IPad, two 6 apps on IPad mini, 2 5/5S apps on iPhone 6+ and maybe 2 iphone 4(S) apps on 6(I doubt last one)
  • Reply 91 of 160
    nhtnht Posts: 4,522member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Mac-sochist View Post

Because I've downloaded over 10,000 items (not all book length) in four different formats—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and ePub, to the tune of 48 GB so far. I don't want to rename all my files to fit in a flat file and then page through 500 screens trying to find what I want.

Actually, it's worse than that. In iOS, I'd have to remember what format something was in, call up that application (except no DjVu, I imagine), and then page through hundreds of screens—you can't just click on a file and have it come up in the proper application, right?

Just not practical.

Or just use Calibre to bulk convert everything into a single format that doesn't completely suck (you decide which format that is).  PDF is hard to convert correctly so maybe leave those alone.  Most ebook readers can handle two formats without you needing to switch.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-conversion-to-from

• Reply 92 of 160
    Typing this on an iPhone 6+

First, before commenting, you need to touch and feel both devices. Even carrier stores that don't have the units in stock have models on display.

Second, for those who complained for years about Apple's one size fits all strategy, well this year you got your wish. Consumers will choose, and it wa smart of Apple to keep the internals (for the most part) the same makes deciding which phone to choose much easier.

Third, when one considers screen size, both weight and device thickness are important factors. Being an iPhone user since the original 2G, I remember the days when the heaviness of the device caused fatigue in the hand or bulk in the pocket of pants or shorts. The iPhone 5 solved the weight problem, in my opinion and the iPhone 6 and 6+ continue that legacy.

Lastly, is the iPhone 6 and 6+ perfect? No and thankfully so, because it is was, we wouldn't have the iPhone 7 to look forward to in two years. Innovation is a journey not a means to an end. And that's what makes technology such an interesting topic for us to follow and debate.
  • Reply 93 of 160
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Benjamin Frost View Post

On the second BendyGate video where he tests a brand new 6 Plus in the open surrounded by friends, the phone bends much more easily; I guess he learned where the weak spot was more precisely. Here's the video:

http://youtu.be/gJ3Ds6uf0Yg

Of course, one would not normally be in the habit of trying to bend the iPhone deliberately.

But the main pocket problem related to two other factors: temperature and metal fatigue. When the aluminium heats up in a pocket, it will flex much more readily than when cold; this is the problem with Apple's own testing. Metal fatigue takes place over a period of time, so is very difficult to test for extensively by Apple, particularly in the case of the 6 and 6 Plus, as they both have entirely new structures.

When you add those two factors to the thinner, lighter, weaker design of the 6 and 6 Plus, as demonstrated in the three BendGate videos, you have a damning combination of factors that would suggest extreme caution at this moment in time.

The 5s, in contrast, has been tried and tested. Mr. Bendy tried bending it and failed. As it shares the same design as the 5, we have had two years of a confirmed strong design.

You're not too bright huh? So you're saying that temperature approaching a "whopping" 100 degrees Fahrenheit is altering the aluminum structure enough to ease bending? Are you serious? Do you honestly believe that a material that is used in aircrafts for both hot and extreme cold applications is even remotely effected by your ass temperature?  I can almost guarantee you that repeated impact from test equipment is creating more heat than is generated from the body.

Apple's own testing does test for repetitive motion as well as static loads. Watch the video.  Consumer Reports is reporting that the iPhone 6 Plus can withstand 90 lbs of direct, three point pressure tests before bending, although the phone remains operational.  That's a lot of pressure folks.  Yes the iPhone 5S can withstand more, but it's also thicker and shorter.  There's less leverage.

When I had a cracked screen on my iPhone 4S, the Apple Geniuses were pretty quick to make sure I wasn't sitting on the phone.  That's just a dumb move for any electronic. Heck, even my credit card has broken from keeping it in my back pocket. Give yourself a reach around and take the phone out of your pocket.  It's pretty basic and applies to ALL electronics.

• Reply 94 of 160
    nht wrote: »
    Because I've downloaded over 10,000 items (not all book length) in four different formats—HTML, PDF, DjVu, and ePub, to the tune of 48 GB so far. I don't want to rename all my files to fit in a flat file and then page through 500 screens trying to find what I want.

Actually, it's worse than that. In iOS, I'd have to remember what format something was in, call up that application (except no DjVu, I imagine), and then page through hundreds of screens—you can't just click on a file and have it come up in the proper application, right?

Just not practical.

Or just use Calibre to bulk convert everything into a single format that doesn't completely suck (you decide which format that is).  PDF is hard to convert correctly so maybe leave those alone.  Most ebook readers can handle two formats without you needing to switch.

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#what-formats-does-app-support-conversion-to-from

Thanks for the input. I've tried Calibre for some of the easiest conversions (ePub to Kindle format for example). Unfortunately, a lot of the PDFs and all of the DjVus are scanned, not transcribed, so conversion isn't even an option.
  • Reply 95 of 160
    I don't know how much listening is going on--it seems like people just want to argue what they have decided. But people who are complaining about the 6 without really using it do need to calm down. Maybe you are right, it's not for you, But no one is making you get it
    I was one of the size critics two months ago when the two new form factors were pretty well rumored--no iP6 in the old, smaller format. I complained that I would be getting a 4.7, but not because I was jonesing for a bigger phone, just because I wanted the latest and greatest internals...
    Slowly, I began to acclimate to the idea and even started looking forward to a 4.7 inch screen.
    Since I got it, I have been amazed how it doesn't feel much bigger (and it is not heavier) in my pocket. I never thought I did much one handed texting, but I am still having a time getting used to the big new size. I like the screen, though and I'm sure the one handed skills will adjust over time...

I held a 6+ today. Now I'm wondering if I made a mistake leaving all that screen real estate and battery life...

My point? Well, to each his own, but you gotta keep an open mind...
  • Reply 96 of 160

I played with the new iPhones at a Telstra store on the weekend for a little while. It was really interesting actually because another customer came up and struck up a conversation about the new models. She was basically saying that she thinks women will all go for the iPhone 6 Plus, because "we carry it in our handbags"; she herself was looking at buying the 6 Plus.

I told her that for me, the 6 Plus is probably a no-go. One reason is that I want to comfortably put the phone in my pocket. The other reason is that I want to retain some kind of one-handed use, especially because I'm often walking or on the train holding my briefcase and phone at the same time. So, being able to easily change music tracks or look at notifications using the flick of a thumb is preferable; I don't want to risk dropping the phone and I don't want it to be too cumbersome.

Having said all of that, I'm really questioning what to do next. I'm not on contract (I paid out my contract a while ago, so my iPhone 5 is now off-contract). It's coming up to two years old, so I'm ready to upgrade anyway.

Part of me is thinking of simply going for the regular iPhone 6. I like the slightly larger and clearer display, the extra horsepower is good, and I like the thinness, battery, and camera improvements.

On the other hand - and I know this will sound shallow - but there are two things I really dislike about the iPhone 6. One is the horrific antenna bands that simply look awful. Another is the stick-out camera, which both looks awkward and which also looks...vulnerable.

What's ironic is that Apple's industrial design has been so good over the years that they have really increased my expectation in this area. For example, I think the iPhone 5s is probably the most beautiful example of industrial design on a phone...ever.

And so with that said, I'm strongly considering simply upgrading to a gold iPhone 5s and waiting for the iPhone 6s models before upgrading again.

I know that my perspective on those two items sounds shallow - and it is a first-world problem - but I think others have pointed out how personal a phone is as a device. And as Apple fans, I think we tend to have very high standards around industrial design. For these reasons I don't know if I really want to stick with this device for two years. As I say, I may be better to wait for the next iteration, which will hopefully be a bit tidier.

• Reply 97 of 160
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by DCJ001 View Post

I am not contradicting myself.  I was talking about the physical size of the phone.

iPhone 6 is   2.64" x 5.44"

iPhone 5s is  2.31" x 4.87"

The 6 is only 1/3" wider and slightly over 1/2" taller. (0.57").  Not humongously larger.   It is also thinner by almost 10%

• Reply 98 of 160
    Personally I think the 4" form factor was a mistake and too much of a compromise. The 4.7" is the true successor to the 3.5" display. Making the display taller only, as they did with the 5 series, really was a dumb idea. It just emphazises the tinyness.

That being said, I can see a lot of people, in the future, owning three devices. Watch, the 5.5" iPhone, and at least a 9.7" iPad, but more likely the 12.9" Pro size. I could see myself going Watch/5.5/iPad Pro quite easily.

I think an iPhone Mini should bring back the 3.5" size screen.

That is my exact Apple device wish list.

1. iPhone 6 Plus - check
    2. iPad 12.9" upgraded from 9.7" - October
    3. Apple Watch - February

Apple, come and get my money!!!
  • Reply 99 of 160
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,000member
    Quote:

Originally Posted by nht View Post

Er what?  Which flip phone was that?

Heh this dude has activated startacs in 2013:

I'm real tempted to see if I can get my old guy working but my battery is dead and I have no clue where the charger is.

I don't remember the model but it was bought around March or April of 1996 and was Analog only.  It predated StarTAC phones (which were much smaller, and digital / analog hybrids).

I am not sure this is exactly it but it looked like this pretty much:  

Another image comparing a similar phone to the 1G iPhone:  

And one in a guys hand:  

And comparing one to a later StarTAC type flip phone:  

• Reply 100 of 160
    I tend to think Apple's overall idea is, you get a phablet (iPhone 6 Plus). Put it in a nice case, and tuck it in your pocket. Then you get the %uF8FFWatch. After that you don't need to take out your iPhone that much any more. SOLVED. But if you feel like you want to kick it, on your Phablet (or iPad Nano), you pull it out of your pocket and get both hands on the wheel.

The only problem I see is from right now till the %uF8FFWatch comes out. It's going to be a bummer for some. But after you get your watch strapped on. PERFECTION.

Laters...