Lower slot on the 500/600 iBooks upgradable?

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
i have a quick question. does anyone know if you can upgrade the 128MB chip that comes with the iBook that you can't normally access? is it soldered to the MB, or could i upgrade if i rip the machine apart.

i already put a new HD in this machine, so i had it into a few dozen pieces, but forgot to check that part out while i was at it.

of course, apple doesn't offer any useful information about this. when they say that you can't upgrade something, that just means you shouldn't, doesn't me you can't.

-alcimedes

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    murbotmurbot Posts: 5,262member
    Sorry, it's soldered onto the motherboard.

You're stuck at a max of 640 MB of RAM. (128 + 512)

• Reply 2 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by murbot:

<strong>

You're stuck at a max of 640 MB of RAM. (128 + 512)

</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well that's until 1Gb chips comes out.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    How much would that mother cost? The 512 is still at $230. I shudder to think of the bucks you'd hafta shell out for a GIG.

Mac Guru
  • Reply 4 of 5
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    [quote]Originally posted by Mac Guru:

<strong>How much would that mother cost? The 512 is still at $230. I shudder to think of the bucks you'd hafta shell out for a GIG.

Mac Guru</strong><hr></blockquote>

I meant in the future. They'd probably cost how much the 512 does now.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    alcimedesalcimedes Posts: 5,486member
    lol, i went out and bought a 512 today after reading this thread. might as well get as much as i can out of it while i'm going to be using it the most.

i was surprised to find that i could get an actual Apple brand ram chip for only a few bucks more than the generic stuff. in light of the chips that got zapped for being under spec in the past, it seemed for the extra $10-$15.

well, that's enough for me, i've just noticed that OSX is a bit laggy with 256, and was hoping that the extra ram would help.