Apple Watch's advanced AMOLED display far more costly than traditional screens - report

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    solipsismx wrote: »
    That guy doesn't look small and yet that watch seems very thick on his wrist.

eh, looks about the same as the digital sports watches colleagues wear to my office. those things are pretty robust but they wear them in an office setting anyway.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    sog35 wrote: »
    I did notice on the demo's the AppleWatch screens were extremely bright.  These are NOT cheap screens.

Who is supplying the screens?  Is it SAMDUNG?

Can't wait for Mr Frost to come here and say this product is already a failure.

No need; you've already done it for me.

Many thanks.
  • Reply 63 of 74
    jidojido Posts: 125member

The problem with AMOLED is that it is not as bright in direct sunlight, right?

http://www.phonedog.com/2013/03/03/thoughts-on-amoled-and-lcd-displays-in-2013-is-there-a-clear-winner/

Why would I want a hard-to-read screen on a watch?

• Reply 64 of 74
    Mmm ...

Speaking of mobile ...

A girl and a guy I know, decided to jointly invest in one of those mobile restaurants ...

They bought the vehicle, but were stumped as to what to call their mobile eatery establishment ...

After much deliberation, they decicded on: Truck Buddies.

Tsk.

I would have preferred Truck Puppies for the sake of decorum.
  • Reply 65 of 74
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

After much deliberation, they decicded on: Truck Buddies.

Did they get some Truck Nutz for it?

• Reply 66 of 74
    heliahelia Posts: 170member

Meanwhile @Samsung headquarters:

Make the new Galaxy Gear 5"!

• Reply 67 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by jason98 View Post

Fixed it for you :)

OK by me! Can't imagine what the price will be, though!

• Reply 68 of 74
    Quote:

Originally Posted by RadarTheKat View Post

There has always existed something of a dichotomy with respect to a mass market technology product and a luxury product.  The two have seemed never to have been destined to be represented in a single product.  But now we are on the brink of a new era where the sophistication and quality of workmanship of a luxury product is not automatically degraded by the inclusion of electronic components and a digital interface.  But care must be taken in the fusion of the sophisticated world of luxury and the disposable world of electronic gadgets and, in my view, only Apple is in a position to credibly bring this fusion to life.

The neat thing about a mass-market luxury technology product, should this fusion be successfully pulled off as I think Apple will with the Watch, is that the electronic components that represent the functionality and digital interface drop in cost along the technology cost curve we've all become accustomed to, while the exterior design and materials allow the purveyor to maintain high prices associated with luxury goods and a wide range of prices based upon alterations to the design and materials applied.  This Apple Watch is going to be a paradigm shift in the world of mass-market electronics and also what is expected of luxury goods.

Agreed. Interesting viewpoint. I think you're right about the paradigm shift.

• Reply 69 of 74
    danielsw wrote: »

There has always existed something of a dichotomy with respect to a mass market technology product and a luxury product.  The two have seemed never to have been destined to be represented in a single product.  But now we are on the brink of a new era where the sophistication and quality of workmanship of a luxury product is not automatically degraded by the inclusion of electronic components and a digital interface.  But care must be taken in the fusion of the sophisticated world of luxury and the disposable world of electronic gadgets and, in my view, only Apple is in a position to credibly bring this fusion to life.

The neat thing about a mass-market luxury technology product, should this fusion be successfully pulled off as I think Apple will with the Watch, is that the electronic components that represent the functionality and digital interface drop in cost along the technology cost curve we've all become accustomed to, while the exterior design and materials allow the purveyor to maintain high prices associated with luxury goods and a wide range of prices based upon alterations to the design and materials applied.  This Apple Watch is going to be a paradigm shift in the world of mass-market electronics and also what is expected of luxury goods.

Agreed. Interesting viewpoint. I think you're right about the paradigm shift.

I don't.
  • Reply 70 of 74
    I suspect the Apple Watch 2 will add cell, telephony, gps, etc. and be able to obviate carrying an iPhone for most purposes.

Perhaps, but the 1st gen seems to require an iPhone, if for nothing else than to install apps on the watch:

http://9to5mac.com/2014/09/30/apple-watch-app-store-iphone-app/

Fantastic article linked there:
    http://www.ablogtowatch.com/apple-watch-hands-on-review/

In depth review with hi-res photos, not renders:

• Reply 71 of 74
    Originally Posted by Dick Applebaum View Post

I suspect the Apple Watch 2 will add cell, telephony, gps, etc. and be able to obviate carrying an iPhone for most purposes.

Geezaloo, why would they do that? Why would they do it and not do it for the first gen? That’s like saying the 2nd gen iPod touch would be a complete phone!

• Reply 72 of 74
    Geezaloo, why would they do that? Why would they do it and not do it for the first gen? That’s like saying the 2nd gen iPod touch would be a complete phone!

Indeed, that would be very unlikely. Not just for your reasoning, but also the tech: the reason sports watches are so thick is because they have a gps chip inside (and not much more, certainly not on the level the watch from Apple has)

Never mind these watches usually burn out after 4 to 8 hour use. Nah, I think it'll take quite some time for the tech to catch up and have the Apple Watch do what we want it to do (and without the need for an iPhone)

The ability to store music on the watch is cool, but I suspect many will want to review or log their run. And with the new iPhone6 the want for a gps in the watch will be ever so much stronger as one will look like a total fool strapping the 6+ on their arm.
  • Reply 73 of 74
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member

I don't want a wearable phone so I'm happy Apple isn't building one.

Had I wanted that I'd get an armband case for my 5s.