Apple issues first iOS 8.1, Apple TV and Xcode 6.1 betas to developers

Posted:
in iPhone edited October 2014
Following last week's two iOS 8 bug fixes, Apple on Monday seeded the first beta of the iOS 8.1 maintenance update to developers, potentially with assets to enable Apple Pay mobile payments service.

While it has not been confirmed, the latest iOS 8.1 beta seed, build 12B401, could be in preparation for Apple's upcoming Apple Pay launch scheduled for October.

Alongside iOS 8.1, Apple also seeded a new Apple TV software beta with support for Family Sharing and assets for testing AirPlay and HomeKit.

Finally, Xcode 6.1 beta 3 includes the Xcode IDE, iOS Simulator and all required tools and frameworks for building OS X and iOS apps, according to Apple's release notes.

Developers can download the latest build via Apple's Developer Portal.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    I'm hoping we get more than just a .1 update this time. I don't know why they want to keep burning through version numbers so fast. iOS 8 could have been iOS 7.5 and no one would have complained...
  • Reply 2 of 27
    We need an 8.0.3 update right away to fix Wifi access. When is Apple going to acknowledge the problem and fix it?
  • Reply 3 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by TheWhiteFalcon View Post

I'm hoping we get more than just a .1 update this time. I don't know why they want to keep burning through version numbers so fast. iOS 8 could have been iOS 7.5 and no one would have complained...

But you know they would. 

• Reply 4 of 27
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

Apple has a target of reaching iOS 10 just in time to name it iOS X, a meld of iOS and Mac OS X.

• Reply 5 of 27
    Originally Posted by Cpsro View Post

Apple has a target of reaching iOS 10 just in time to name it iOS X, a meld of iOS and Mac OS X.

2016 is too early for a multitouch desktop.

• Reply 6 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Tallest Skil View Post

I don't think so.  The technology is there, the software is almost there, and Apple's supply chain is well-known for getting the best component pricing. 

• Reply 7 of 27
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,192member
    Quote:

It's not too early to kill the desktop.

• Reply 8 of 27
    rogifanrogifan Posts: 10,669member
    I'd love to know if anyone at Apple actually uses Safari on their iOS devices. If it was an optional app downloadable from the App Store I don't even think it would get more than one star. I'm not sure why it's so buggy but damn Apple needs to fix it.
  • Reply 9 of 27
    Quote:

Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post

I'd love to know if anyone at Apple actually uses Safari on their iOS devices. If it was an optional app downloadable from the App Store I don't even think it would get more than one star. I'm not sure why it's so buggy but damn Apple needs to fix it.

Sorry to hear it's working lousy for you.  Knock on wood, no problem here.  I've always enjoyed using Safari on iOS devices vs IE on Windows 7 / 8.1

• Reply 10 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

You don't actually believe that, do you? 

But yeah, I wouldn't mind if Apple took it easy with extra features in the next major iOS update and focused on stability/battery life/refinements, Snow Leopard style. People would predictably bitch and moan that Apple has "run of out steam, ideas, stagnating, etc" but it would be the right thing to do.  

• Reply 11 of 27
    canukstorm wrote: »
    Sorry to hear it's working lousy for you.  Knock on wood, no problem here.  I've always enjoyed using Safari on iOS devices vs IE on Windows 7 / 8.1

How does copy/paste work for you? I have lots of issues with that. Text selecting is really bad. Also websites sometimes freeze on me. I would take it to an Apple store but there's nothing they can do.
  • Reply 12 of 27
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,382member
    Quote:

Safari is the best its ever been on iOS8, on my iPad Air and iPhone 5/6. Couldn't disagree more. 

• Reply 13 of 27
    slurpy wrote: »

But yeah, I wouldn't mind if Apple took it easy with extra features in the next major iOS update and focused on stability/battery life/refinements, Snow Leopard style. People would predictably bitch and moan that Apple has "run of out steam, ideas, stagnating, etc" but it would be the right thing to do.  

Yes yes yes! Apple needs to polish what they have before introducing new features (aside from Apple Pay). But my guess is we'll get news features when news iPads drop. Like the keyboard changes from iPhone Plus.
  • Reply 14 of 27
    Safari is the best its ever been on iOS8, on my iPad Air and iPhone 5/6. Couldn't disagree more. 
    Lucky for you. No issues with copy/paste or websites freezing?
  • Reply 15 of 27

There was a point when .x upgrades were major features and not bug fixes, security patches, etc...
  • Reply 16 of 27
    Quote:

I don't use copy / paste in Safari, or at all actually, but I haven't had any issues with websites freezing and I use Safari a lot.

• Reply 17 of 27
    rogifan wrote: »

Yes, they gave it a real lift in iOS 8. I love how they've improved the swiping. Now, going back a page only takes a small swipe.
  • Reply 18 of 27
    canukstorm wrote: »

I don't use copy / paste in Safari, or at all actually, but I haven't had any issues with websites freezing and I use Safari a lot.
    Ah. Copy/paste is definitely buggy. Not just Safari. Mail too. Often times long press doesn't bring up the select/select all/paste options. Very annoying.
  • Reply 19 of 27
    heliahelia Posts: 170member
    Quote:

No such problem here with iPad Air, though the refreshing thingie remains yet.

• Reply 20 of 27
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    Quote:

I, for one, am looking forward to more multitouch in the workplace...